Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:44 AM

371 posts, read 526,843 times

Advertisements

hi,

I am moving from NYC to Charlotte to work in the financial industry. As you can tell from my tag, I do not want to live in NYC anymore as it is far too corrupt. In NYC, the cops kills people and there is no punishment; only the taxpayers get punished when the family files a lawsuit. I don't want this thread to turn into Michael Brown; however, about 3-4 incidents a year like that occur in NYC. There were two recently: one guy was selling cigarettes individually on the street and was put into a chokehold by police and died. A teen who live in public housing was shot and killed in a stairwell. Apparently, the lights were off in the stairwell and the cop had his hand on the trigger the whole time. Very sad. I don't want to pay taxes in NYC anymore.

Also, I grew up in a small town in MA and I ave small town values. I have lived in NYC for a while (11 years) and have decided it is time to leave.

Apparently, the situation could work out in my favor as I will be making more money ($30k more) and will hopefully have less expenses (one of the questions).

I owned an apt. in Brooklyn which I sold 6 months ago so I could leave the city. I am currently paying a little more than $1,000/month to rent a studio apt. in Brooklyn.

Here are my questions:

1. I don't have a car and I will need to live close to the downtown area so I can be within walking distance to work. How much will the rent be approximately?

2. I might attend an online Masters program in Accounting through UNC-Chapel Hill. How far away will I be from Chapel Hill? I would like to attend some sporting events there. I did come down recently to see the Duke vs. UNC football game but did not get a chance to see Charlotte. There was a fight at the game where a guy looked like he had his nose broken, hopefully that is not indicative of the overall Carolina experience.

3. Are there social activities in downtown Charlotte or does the city shutdown after 5PM. Boston was like that.

4. Are most of the people married? I am single with no children. I am 35 years old.

5. What is the weather like? Is it overly humid? I would hope the humidity is not as bad as in NYC. This past summer in NYC there was no heat wave which was great. Does it ever snow in Charlotte?

6. One of the things about NYC I like is I am able to earn certificates at NYU's School of Professional Studies. For example, if I wanted to learn programming, I can enroll in a certificate program for object oriented programming at NYU. Are there opportunities like that in Charlotte?

7. What grocery stores are available? Is there a Whole Foods in downtown Charlotte?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 09:57 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,199,422 times
1. Count on 1300ish
2. 2.5 hours by car, depending on traffic
3. Yes, there are activities
4. seems normal to me. Used to be single (till age 34), now married
5. Can get very hot and humid and summer. Usually does. It's no Columbia or Orlando though. It snows minimally in Charlotte
6. With the internet, education has never been easier
7. Don't know about Whole foods, or the grocery store scene downtown. Used to just be a small Harris Teeter, but Publix is opening a store on South Blvd, accessible by Light Rail.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:16 AM

207 posts, read 354,962 times
Welcome and glad to have you. Bless your heart.
There are car rental agencies downtown if needed.
Downtown Charlotte and areas such as South End and Dilworth are walking distance to downtown businesses and offices. Light Rail goes south from downtown to these areas also. Light Rail will open in a year or so to UNC-Charlotte north of town. There is a large building in downtown that houses UNC-Charlotte business classes and programs. I know not if they are what you seek. There is a grocer downtown, also 7th street market with specialty goods, cheese makers and other such options. Full service grocers would be on the light rail in South End which is a full retail and personal services cluster easily accessible by foot, rail or bike. Two greenways connect downtown to areas just south of town, and also to the Metropolitan shopping area with Target, Trader Joe and other like merchants. Whole Foods is deep in suburbia (SouthPark). Snow? maybe once or twice. Out worst weather in winter is ice and freezing rain.
Downtown on weekends is quite active. I have less knowledge of the normal weekday activity level but the chatter online is that those from larger cities find it disappointing. Same for weekend mornings.
Expect someone to ask you about your church home. Just get used to it.
Earlier this year we had a police officer arrested for killing a young unarmed black man. Grand jury did not indict, then charge was resubmitted and indictment found. Quite the unusual case on all accounts.
Come on down. You will be welcomed.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
Welcome and glad to have you. Bless your heart.
There are car rental agencies downtown if needed.
Downtown Charlotte and areas such as South End and Dilworth are walking distance to downtown businesses and offices. Light Rail goes south from downtown to these areas also. Light Rail will open in a year or so to UNC-Charlotte north of town. There is a large building in downtown that houses UNC-Charlotte business classes and programs. I know not if they are what you seek. There is a grocer downtown, also 7th street market with specialty goods, cheese makers and other such options. Full service grocers would be on the light rail in South End which is a full retail and personal services cluster easily accessible by foot, rail or bike. Two greenways connect downtown to areas just south of town, and also to the Metropolitan shopping area with Target, Trader Joe and other like merchants. Whole Foods is deep in suburbia (SouthPark). Snow? maybe once or twice. Out worst weather in winter is ice and freezing rain.
Downtown on weekends is quite active. I have less knowledge of the normal weekday activity level but the chatter online is that those from larger cities find it disappointing. Same for weekend mornings.
Expect someone to ask you about your church home. Just get used to it.
Earlier this year we had a police officer arrested for killing a young unarmed black man. Grand jury did not indict, then charge was resubmitted and indictment found. Quite the unusual case on all accounts.
Come on down. You will be welcomed.
so from the post above the one I quoted, rent will be 1300? wow, thats a lot more than I expected. Not sure if 1300 was for a studio, 1 bedroom or what type of layout? I might try to find a roommate situation.

So the officer was indicted eventually. Thats positive. What was the name of the teenager so I can look it up on the web?

I was thinking of getting a Samoyed dog and they like the snow which is why I asked.

I haven't been to church in forever . . . so I probably won't have a church home if that is what you mean.

Hopefully, so others will opine.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
so from the post above the one I quoted, rent will be 1300? wow, thats a lot more than I expected. Not sure if 1300 was for a studio, 1 bedroom or what type of layout? I might try to find a roommate situation.
In uptown, or within a close range of it (1 mile) that would be about $1300 for a one bedroom. You can go a couple of miles further out and find a one bedroom for closer to $1100. If you lived along the bus line getting in to uptown is easy peazy. I suggest you look at places like Cielo, Eastover Ridge or Camden Southend.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:45 PM

207 posts, read 354,962 times
Victim: Jonathan Ferrell
Police Officer: Randall Kerrick

Old 11-30-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In uptown, or within a close range of it (1 mile) that would be about $1300 for a one bedroom. You can go a couple of miles further out and find a one bedroom for closer to $1100. If you lived along the bus line getting in to uptown is easy peazy. I suggest you look at places like Cielo, Eastover Ridge or Camden Southend.
that is still crazy rent though for charlotte. I pay 1100 for a studio in nyc. the other distinction that I should ask about, is the building a luxury building. I live in a building with an elevator but not a luxury one.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
Victim: Jonathan Ferrell
Police Officer: Randall Kerrick
I did hear about this now that I looked it up. The guy was hurt in a car accident and the woman thought he was trying to rob the house. Didn't she even listen to what he said? Was he able to tell her that he was in a car accident or was he hurt that badly?

The officer is clearly stupid and one of the articles said that the city of Charlotte was paying his legal fees but has since stopped. I am glad they stopped as I don't want taxes I pay to go to paying his legal fees.

Great article here: Questions remain a year after Jonathan Ferrell killed by CMPD officer | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
that is still crazy rent though for charlotte. I pay 1100 for a studio in nyc. the other distinction that I should ask about, is the building a luxury building. I live in a building with an elevator but not a luxury one.
I'm not sure how the misconception occurred out in the rest of the country that Charlotte is somehow a "cheap" place to live

Charlotte is a very white collar city, many many professionals.

The median rent price is currently $960., though of course you can find things in the 700's and 800's. You don't own a car and want to be close to uptown - that is going to cost you more - like closer to $1100. It just is what it is! But hey, the good news is, you'll be making more money and not paying too much more than you already pay in rent

Old 11-30-2014, 04:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Quote:
Most of the apartments around uptown and SouthEnd are pretty new. So while you may end up paying more, those areas have basically the most expensive apartments in Charlotte. But I'd imagine the apartment would be nicer, and you'd probably actually have a bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte