Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 AM

25 posts, read 86,103 times

Advertisements

So I've seen a few places in uptown for rent, but just trying to see what the majority on here says. I will be moving down 6 months before my girlfriend (as early as this December), because she is finishing up her second major in school which will take up an extra semester. I would prefer uptown, but I haven't been in the area, so I need to know what to expect. From what I've been reading uptown seems like it's ideal for a recent college graduate. I will be finding a job before I come down, so obviously that will base where I will want to live, but it's nice to have ideas beforehand.
I'm probably looking for rent to be under 900 or so and the place has to allow bigger pets, because I have a 70 pound golden retriever. 1 bedroom is fine, but would prefer 2 bedrooms so I can use one for a t.v. room/office (I have a problem with electronics and I need to fit my 60" television somewhere). So if it doesn't have a second bedroom I'm going to need a decent size living room. A place that has a 6-9 month lease would be ideal, because we will probably be moving in together in the months following that.
I'm a modern person and would like to be able to furnish my apartment (I'm living in a new apartment in Morgantown, WV, which is fully furnished and I have thought about telling them to just take their furniture and furnishing it myself, but I think I can wait until I move down).
I would love for the apartment to be close to a couple of bars, I don't drink a lot, but when I do it'd be nice to not have to drive home. It would also be terrific for it to be close to a Target/Harris Teeter (somewhere I can grab some groceries and simple stuff for around the house).
Any help would be great. Thanks again,
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,222,725 times
Hey Jay, Welcome.

You mention coming down in December, is that Dec 08? Things may change in a year, but if you are talking sooner, here is what I would recommend. First yes, living downtown/uptown is ideal for college grad, but with your information you posted, there are 3 issues. One the dog, some places uptown restrict, otherwise the city is more dog friendly than many others I have been in. Two/Three, you want space and want to spend under $900, aint gonna happen downtown. A lot will depend on where your job is, but you may want to try off W.T.Harris or Mallard Creek between 77 and 85, about 20 apt complexes. I live in a decent 2 bedroom, that would allow your dog, but I still pay a bit over $900 and thats on an 11 month lease. I don't see any 6 month leases anymore, and most are 7 or longer, well unless you want to pay more.

Walking to bars, if not uptown may be a bit more difficult, but there are some, more pubs. I frequest the Northlake Mall area, which has a few, but its a few miles. In HUntersville, less apts, but if you can rent in Birkdale you would be able to walk to many things, in fact it's right under you.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:39 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,557,706 times
I live Uptown and love it. You will have a hard time finding an apartment Uptown for $900 unless you are talking about a 1 bedroom. Depending on which Ward you move into, you can walk to Grocery Stores, Clubs, Restaurants. 4th Ward is most convenient.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:48 PM

550 posts, read 1,809,599 times
you'll pay a lot for uptown - I agree with "the 7 oh 4". It's going to be around $1000 a month for a one bedroom that's in walking distance to anything.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuwhat View Post
So I've seen a few places in uptown for rent, but just trying to see what the majority on here says. I will be moving down 6 months before my girlfriend (as early as this December), because she is finishing up her second major in school which will take up an extra semester. I would prefer uptown, but I haven't been in the area, so I need to know what to expect. From what I've been reading uptown seems like it's ideal for a recent college graduate. I will be finding a job before I come down, so obviously that will base where I will want to live, but it's nice to have ideas beforehand.
I'm probably looking for rent to be under 900 or so and the place has to allow bigger pets, because I have a 70 pound golden retriever. 1 bedroom is fine, but would prefer 2 bedrooms so I can use one for a t.v. room/office (I have a problem with electronics and I need to fit my 60" television somewhere). So if it doesn't have a second bedroom I'm going to need a decent size living room. A place that has a 6-9 month lease would be ideal, because we will probably be moving in together in the months following that.
I'm a modern person and would like to be able to furnish my apartment (I'm living in a new apartment in Morgantown, WV, which is fully furnished and I have thought about telling them to just take their furniture and furnishing it myself, but I think I can wait until I move down).
I would love for the apartment to be close to a couple of bars, I don't drink a lot, but when I do it'd be nice to not have to drive home. It would also be terrific for it to be close to a Target/Harris Teeter (somewhere I can grab some groceries and simple stuff for around the house).
Any help would be great. Thanks again,
Jay

With a dog AND a tv that big you may want to consider renting a house instead - you are going to have a problem finding an apartment that will rent to you. Then again, any home will cost you a minimum of $1000. Can you stay put til your girlfriend can move too and you guys could pool your resources? (just a thought)

Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
With a dog AND a tv that big you may want to consider renting a house instead - you are going to have a problem finding an apartment that will rent to you. Then again, any home will cost you a minimum of $1000. Can you stay put til your girlfriend can move too and you guys could pool your resources? (just a thought)
HELLO loves,

And also some apartment's have breed restrictions too.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
HELLO loves,

And also some apartment's have breed restrictions too.
hello my favorite numbered pal

Don't you think a rental house is what our op needs instead? I'm thinking maybe one of the older homes in Chantilly or Plaza Midwood that have not been rehabbed might go for $1000 a month.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
hello my favorite numbered pal

Don't you think a rental house is what our op needs instead? I'm thinking maybe one of the older homes in Chantilly or Plaza Midwood that have not been rehabbed might go for $1000 a month.
Not sure, but I love that area too.

There are several areas near Uptown that they could find something. It just might take a little searching. Things rent quick in Charlotte, so if you find something you really like, I would move pretty quick!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 PM

25 posts, read 86,103 times
Thanks for all the help guys. I have just gotten used to apartment/condo living. I know I'm probably not the majority, but I grew up in a BIG house and grew to hate it because it was just too much upkeep. I have no problem living in a 1 bedroom and don't really need the square footage. I just need a couch, bed, tv, and a kitchen where I can cook up some good meals. Other than that I'm outside with the dog or doing things around town and/or working, so I just need a place to call home for a few months while I wait for the girlfriend to move down.

What would your suggestions be if I were to move my interest away from uptown. Again, still looking for close proximity to shops, etc., but I can broaden my search area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte