Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:55 PM

110 posts, read 456,901 times

Advertisements

Just saw Matthews listed on Business Week.com as one of the 26 best suburbs in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinedayy View Post
Hi,
We currently live in New York 45 mins from the city. And are considering relocating to Charlotte, NC. In my search I have found a town called Matthews the homes and schools seem to be a nice area to start our new lives. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences they could share about Matthews or the South end of Charlotte...
Thank you,
Cara
I live in charlotte nc. Been here for over 36 yrs. Cant be beat i dont thinkl You are half way to the mountains and half way to the Atlantic ocean..) Both about two and one hrs have drive both ways. Sorry for the sloopy typepng.???lol. There are so many things to doi if you live in clt nc. We have a new white water raffting, wall climbing, canoe all at the same place. Nice hikeing trails too.
Have the Panthers of course.Have pro. basketball. Pro ice hockey,baseball.I can go on and on. Think its dinner time. yeaaaaaaa...I think i have an incert in last sundays paper if i do can send it to you.OH we have Lake Wielyand lake norman..Good fishing at both lakes. If you come south, WELCOME YOUALL.LOL

Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM

152 posts, read 308,820 times
Moved to Matthews about a month ago we are a young couple from NYC...We love it here...if you have a family check out Brandon Oaks in Indian Trail, my friend lives there and loves it...Good luck

Old 02-27-2010, 12:43 PM

93 posts, read 171,214 times
Default Jobs

I am wondering if the jobs situation is really as bad as they say. Personally I have always been able to get a job no matter what. I work in Accounting doing payables, and the like, but would do administrative work.
This is probably for another thread, but also I'm wondering about Rock Hill, SC, as a place to live. Is it commutable to Greater Charlotte?
I am unemployed currently, so I won't be giving up a good job. I live in Mass. and wouldn't have a problem getting a job here, but I really want to relocate someone warmer, and culturally I love the South. I'm thinking about the Charlotte area, but also interested in Charleston and Columbia SC. Any ideas?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:17 AM

32 posts, read 53,254 times
We just moved down here and love it! The jobs are very scarce, even if normally you have no problems!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,276 times
I am also looking to move to the Charlotte area. My job would be in uptown Charlotte for a couple of years and then moved to Fort Mill. My son is 9 years old so schools are a top priority but I also want to be within a reasonable distance to my job. My biggest concern is that all the high schools in the Charlotte area seem to be terrible I know my son is few years away from going to high school but I don't understand how elementary and middle can be great and all the high schools be horrible. Any areas you recommend I look?

Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM

13 posts, read 25,698 times
Honestly there are some excellent, excellent high schools in Charlotte, most clustered near the Matthews area. High Schools to look for in are Providence, Ardrey Kell, Myers Park, perhaps Butler and South Meck. Based on your job moving to Fort Mill, I would focus a little more west (away from Butler). The elementary and middle schools that feed into these high schools are also very highly rated. If you look on the allentate site, you most likely want to search in Area 5. This area won't be far from Ft. Mill, and the uptown commute in rush hour would be 30 min-1 hr depending on where you live.

(Also, this original thread is super old so you may consider making a new one.)

(If you are willing to do a longer uptown commute, I would look in the Marvin Ridge district just over the county line in Union County. There are a lot of very negative posters about Union County, but this particular area is unlikely to ever be redistricted based on geography and is one of the top school clusters in the state elementary -high school. The Ft Mill commute will be quick and easy.)

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,867,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinfla View Post
I am also looking to move to the Charlotte area. My job would be in uptown Charlotte for a couple of years and then moved to Fort Mill. My son is 9 years old so schools are a top priority but I also want to be within a reasonable distance to my job. My biggest concern is that all the high schools in the Charlotte area seem to be terrible I know my son is few years away from going to high school but I don't understand how elementary and middle can be great and all the high schools be horrible. Any areas you recommend I look?
I would NOT look in Union county, too trafficky from uptown and then too far from Fort Mill due to lack of roads going West to East.

If you are sure they are moving to Fort Mill, I would look there. Schools are excellent there and in a few years you will reap the benefits of saving on income taxes when your company moves.

You didn't list budget, that's a big factor in suggesting areas. List your budget and needs and how long you consider a commute so we can make suggestions. As another said, I would start a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte