Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:37 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,622 times

Advertisements

20-year-old woman shot, killed by CMPD officer

Enough is enough. Oh I know I'm going to get roasted from the defend at all costs police officers can do no wrong crowd. I remember both of these past incidents, and remember thinking boy I don't know. Know I do. this man needs to be fired asap, and brought up on charges. Seriously she had a knife, not a gun. This was murder plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:47 AM

372 posts, read 659,536 times
Ok, I am not saying that he was not justified in shooting her. The article says that she lunged at him with the knife. My issue is that he has been involved in 3 shootings in less than 3 years. I think that needs to be looked at.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:12 AM

227 posts, read 392,971 times
I agree that it needs to be looked at. Is it bad luck for him, or does he have an itchy trigger finger? Based on the article, it seems like he happens to be in bad situations.

This incident: "Fonville allegedly lunged at both officers with a kitchen knife after refusing to drop the weapon."

Last incident: "Holzhauer was in a shootout with suspects on North Tryon. No one was injured in that incident." (I don't know details about that, but to me a 'shootout' implies that both sides are firing weapons)

First incident: "Holzhauer shot and killed a 28-year-old Michael Laney who was fighting with another officer and tried to pull a gun. He was cleared of no wrongdoing in that incident."

Nothing jumps out at me in any of the individual incidents - based on the (extremely) limited information, I could see why he would fire his weapon. But then again, is it common for a single officer to be in that situation three times?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:18 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Dunno did you miss the part about LUNGING at the cops with a knife?

No dumbass on earth survives that. Sorry......

Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,808 times
Given the number of incidents with police who report X happened when later it is determined that Y happened, I think we should wait and see. It is EXTREMELY bad luck on his part or he needs to re-evaluated. 5 years as an officer and 3 incidents already???

Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
most officers NEVER fire there weapon..

but lately it "seems" like every officer has to fire his weapon once every few months due to all these criminals.

if she lunged then it's justified (under the law) but I still think there was a time when cops would smack a perp or use a night stick instead of shooting to kill.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

but lately it "seems" like every officer has to fire his weapon once every few months due to all these criminals.

if she lunged then it's justified (under the law) but I still think there was a time when cops would smack a perp or use a night stick instead of shooting to kill.
Do officers still carry night sticks? Seems like whacking the girl with a night stick or using a taser would have worked if they knew the girl only had a knife.

I would like to add that I can't imagine being a police officer and putting my life on the line every day. It requires split second decisions that are forever scrutinized. Sorry for all involved parties that this happened.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
No cop is using a night stick against someone with a knife. Not happening in any day or time. If the report is accurate, he's justified. If no charges are brought, he needs to be riding a desk for the rest of his time with CMPD. You can also bet on a big civil suit being filed in the coming days or weeks.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

exactly 3 times, is too much. every time there is gray area, and cops protect cops, is it any wonder they are almost always cleared. Fact there was two officers, and one perp. No Gun was involved 30-40 years ago perp would have been disarmed by one officer, perp would have gotten the tar beat out of them sent to the hospital. You know what's different now. No night sticks or billy clubs. people hated police beating victims senseless, so they removed the weapon. Little did we know they would just start killing them.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Do officers still carry night sticks? Seems like whacking the girl with a night stick or using a taser would have worked if they knew the girl only had a knife.

I would like to add that I can't imagine being a police officer and putting my life on the line every day. It requires split second decisions that are forever scrutinized. Sorry for all involved parties that this happened.
I'm not sure cops use them anymore.

I couldn't be a police officer either but I don't feel pity for cops who sign up for this type of work. I applaud them for doing it but it's their job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte