Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:30 PM
78l 78l started this thread

11 posts, read 15,731 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Charlotte area and want to find an area with easy access to public transportation. Our search by zip codes has shown us some areas of Charlotte and Huntersville and Davidson and Concord but we would really appreciate some input from the peeps on the ground. We've found six zip codes that look interesting on paper.

If anyone is familiar with either of these zips please comment, any advice will be appreciated.

28269; 28216; 28078; 28262; 28036 & 28027.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:17 AM

6 posts, read 10,301 times
We moved to Charlotte in July from California where we lived our entire lives. We wanted a house and since were are not making $1M per year we couldn't afford a home in Ca in a decent area.

Charlotte is okay but we are BORED! We thought we were moving to a large city, therefore there would be a lot to do. There isn't. The city, Uptown is dead. Previously living in Silverlake near Hollywood, I realize this isn't a trendy city but it's so un-trendy that it's depressing. The people are extremely "normal." The style here is lacking to say the least. I'm used to seeing all types of people, punks, artsy types, basically some type of cool scene. If you are looking for that it is not here. There is a trendy area called NODA but compared to Califiornia it's a joke.

If you are single, in your 30's or 40's there are NO good looking men here. They are good old boys, fat, no style wearing dockers and loafers or they are very young, early 20's. Some women are pretty but again, normal. I would say chain mall stores are the norm here for shopping.

Price-wise rent is a third of what it was in California but that's about it. Everything else is basically the same price, food, restaurants, car registration and overall cost of living are expensive.

Charlotte is flat, no mountains and it's not near the coast. Again, boring.

Also, no one told us about the bug situation here or in the South in general. We have a big back yard and looked forward to having BBQ's, etc. Forget that. There are so many bugs flying around in the summer that you cannot enjoy the outdoors. Huge flying roaches (they call palmetto bugs), bees, wasps and other bugs I have never even seen before. You cannot enjoy the outdoors here in the summer unless you have a screened in porch. I am sure spring is probably the same, we will see.

If you want to live in a fun, trendy city Charlotte is not it. If you are an avid church-goer and want to live in a safe, boring community this is the place for you.

Last edited by Sabrina1x; 02-20-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 11:15 AM

142 posts, read 256,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina1x View Post
We moved to Charlotte in July from California where we lived our entire lives. We wanted a house and since were are not making $1M per year we couldn't afford a home in Ca in a decent area.

Charlotte is okay but we are BORED! We thought we were moving to a large city, therefore there would be a lot to do. There isn't. The city, Uptown is dead. Previously living in Silverlake near Hollywood, I realize this isn't a trendy city but it's so un-trendy that it's depressing. The people are extremely "normal." The style here is lacking to say the least. I'm used to seeing all types of people, punks, artsy types, basically some type of cool scene. If you are looking for that it is not here. There is a trendy area called NODA but compared to Califiornia it's a joke.

If you are single, in your 30's or 40's there are NO good looking men here. They are good old boys, fat, no style wearing dockers and loafers or they are very young, early 20's. Some women are pretty but again, normal. I would say chain mall stores are the norm here for shopping.

Price-wise rent is a third of what it was in California but that's about it. Everything else is basically the same price, food, restaurants, car registration and overall cost of living are expensive.

Also, no one told us about the bug situation here or in the South in general. We have a big back yard and looked forward to having BBQ's, etc. Forget that. There are so many bugs flying around in the summer that you cannot enjoy the outdoors. Huge flying roaches (they call palmetto bugs), bees, wasps and other bugs I have never even seen before. You cannot enjoy the outdoors here in the summer unless you have a screened in porch. I am sure spring is probably the same, we will see.

If you want to live in a fun, trendy city Charlotte is not it. If you are an avid church-goer and want to live in a safe, boring community this is the place for you.
Wow, that was very helpful to the OP....
So you're saying you don't like Charlotte? Did you think Charlotte would be like the west coast?

OP - looks like you are looking north of Charlotte. We are actually moving to Charlotte next week but our home finding search was more located in close proximity to Charlotte; NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth, Dilworth, etc.

I'm afraid I won't be able to add too much other than saying I have a friend that lives up by Lake Norman and they really like it.

I'm sure more people will be able able to assist shortly.

Good luck with the move!

Old 02-20-2015, 01:29 PM

363 posts, read 445,640 times
Quote:

What you say is boring, I like. Id rather avoid the hipsters.

You obviously did not do much research before moving here.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:35 PM

547 posts, read 775,933 times
My grandma used to say "you're not bored, you're just boring". I'm not sure if she was trying to help or just putting me down. She's right though and I learned to have a good time wherever I am.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 PM

298 posts, read 629,015 times
Many seem to get their feathers ruffled if the downside of Charlotte is pointed out but Sabrina1x is giving an accurate comparison to CA, in my opinion. It just depends on the OP's reference point and what they are looking for. I'm also from CA and Charlotte can be a challenge but I'm trying to make the best of it. OP - my personal favorite of the cities you mentioned is Davidson. It's very quaint and seems to have a strong community feel. Concord seems more rural to me but is closer to uptown if that is important to you. Huntersville seems very family oriented and middle of the road. All are good choices, just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 PM

9 posts, read 17,303 times
If you're going to berate the South, and Charlotte, at least know that "BBQ" means a type of food, ie. pork. We have family cookouts.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:34 PM

193 posts, read 496,894 times
You've got a pretty good range in zip codes, and those areas all have quite a different feel. You may be able to narrow down your search some by price. Davidson is a great area and in my opinion has a lot of personality. Davidson College keeps it young feeling ,but it also has an artsy feel and a feels a bit historic. Lot's of community activities, ale houses but if your looking to party this may not be your spot. It can also be a bit expensive. The lake offers something different for everyone. We have family in California and they love to come visit to enjoy the lake, hanging out at the Sandbar and going to the restaurants. We visit Orange County every summer and spent some time living there; Charlotte will be what you make of it. Our central location can get you a short drive to DC, the beach, the mountains. My neighborhood is filled with Ex-Californians so something must be nice here!Good luck with your move...

Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 PM

372 posts, read 659,938 times
Quote:

Bye, and bless your heart.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:59 AM

536 posts, read 640,765 times
Just to let you know (since you mentioned public transportation being important in your post), Davidson, Cornelius, and Huntersville do not have much public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte