Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 06:03 AM

24 posts, read 132,978 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from south Florida to the Ballantyne area this summer. My daughter is currently in a private independent prep school and is very bright. We are looking to attend public schools. Does Community Middle have a gifted program and will it challenge her? Also, what would you suggest for high school? Is the IB program at Myers Park a better option then the honors or AP program at Audrey Kell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:51 PM

240 posts, read 731,888 times
Default school

my daughter is currently in 8th grade at Comm House. She went there in 7th grade after spending 7years at a very small Christian School in Charlotte.

She is very bright. Her strong areas are math,language arts and science.
Community House has HONORS classes which are the highest levels for students in math and language arts.
She does love it there and the teachers are great. It is a good sign when your child wakes up and never wants to miss a day of school.
She does MATHNASIUM for extra math as it is her favourite subject and like I said, she is very good at it. This program is not associated with the school.

For HIGH SCHOOL, I am in a dilemma as we are within walking distance of Ardrey Kell (I have heard very good things about it but also have heard a few negatives) but I would love for her to attend Charlotte Latin. Latin is a private school and very tough to get into. My daughter would like to attend Latin but we will just have to see how many spaces are available there and if she gets offered a place.

Hope this kind of helped you!!!!

I thought Elementary school decision was tough enough!!!

Last edited by uk2nc; 01-12-2008 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 AM

Would you consider the IB at Myers Park? In Fort Myers, Fl., the IB is a very good program and the kids who complete it are going to excellent colleges. Also, how big is Charlotte Latin (class sizes in high school)? We are at a similar independent prep school and it is just too small. (55 per high school class)

Old 01-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Smile bright child

I have never really considered Myers Park but I know a lot of kids from the private schools do go there for High School. The students who may want a change from being in the same school with the same friends since TK.

It is quite a distance from where we live to Myers Park

I am not completely sure what the class size is over at Latin but my friends daughter is there in 9th grade and she said most of the classes have 15 in them with some smaller and maybe a few just slightly larger.

I will attend the Ardrey Kell open house when that is announced as I want us to have options especially since we may not even get a spot at Latin.

Ardrey Kell has done very well in its first 2 years of being open and they are ranked very high academically.

Have you been onto GreatSchools.net
I think that is the right website address.

Will your daughter be going into 9th grade next year?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 AM

No. She will be in 8th next year. I think we will be fine with honors classes at Community. It will be a change going from private to public but I found private to be lacking, especially in diversity and social life. I am starting to get a feel for high schools. We are still trying to sell our house in Fl. so we can move this summer. We are looking forward to a life change.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 AM

Smile 8th grade at Comm House

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtrom View Post
No. She will be in 8th next year. I think we will be fine with honors classes at Community. It will be a change going from private to public but I found private to be lacking, especially in diversity and social life. I am starting to get a feel for high schools. We are still trying to sell our house in Fl. so we can move this summer. We are looking forward to a life change.

She will like Community House. My daughter really does have excellent teachers. When she went there for 7th grade it was a huge change from being in a school with only 125 kids total. She was one of 6 in the 6th grade at her private school. Like you said, she needed diversity and social life and just generally how to deal with others and various situations we all face in life. At the Back to School Open House, she was pretty scared after seeing what looked like thousands of kids but, on her first day, she came home elated and has never looked back.
The Lang Arts Honors classes this year are reading a lot of High School books.

Do check into the Honors Math though as I know there are changes in it for the 2008/2009 school year.

The Community House website is http://pages.cms.k12.nc.us/community (broken link) house/

Mr.Lockley is very good at replying to emails too if you should want to contact him direct and ask about the Honors Math, etc

Good Luck and I hope you sell your house soon

Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM

379 posts, read 644,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtrom View Post
Did anyone tell you about Metrolina Regional Scholars Academy? It is a magnet school in Meck Co for highly gifted children. It is k-8 so she would only be able to go 1 year (kinda stinks). Just wanted to let you know about the option.
I have actually been looking into this school for my daughter and everything I have seen so far has been very impressive. Good Luck. http://metrolina.nc.schoolwebpages.c...f2f67101bb8818

Old 01-17-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Did anyone tell you about Metrolina Regional Scholars Academy? It is a magnet school in Meck Co for highly gifted children. It is k-8 so she would only be able to go 1 year (kinda stinks). Just wanted to let you know about the option.
I have actually been looking into this school for my daughter and everything I have seen so far has been very impressive. Good Luck. Metrolina Regional Scholars' Academy - Admissions

It is still a small school and i believe this particular person is trying to find a slightly larger environment.
I teach at the school next door to Metrolina so I know that it is a small school.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM

72 posts, read 220,230 times
Myers Park IB is huge in Charlotte and very intensive. Other schools have the program (Harding, North, East, etc.), but MP's is by far the largest and most difficult. When I went to East we called our program "Diet IB" because there's just no comparison. If you want your daughter to be in a truely rigorous program, it's the place to go.

Now, that being said, there's also the consideration of how it's going to affect her in the end. I went to East and took lots of AP classes; my two best childhood friends went to Marie G. Davis and Myers Park and did IB. We all were active, happy teenagers with full schedules (although theirs was mostly full of academics - the workload is significantly larger in the IB program). All three of us ended up at UNC Chapel Hill. Our SAT scores were roughly the same, our GPAs in college were similar, and we're all now in very good jobs that we're happy with.

So yes, there are the few IB students who jet off to an Ivy League school, and a few more who go to the southern comparisons (Duke, Georgetown, Vanderbilt). But the vast majority of IB kids I knew went to UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, or small southern colleges (Wofford, Furman, etc.). As did the majority of AP students. The one difference I've seen is perhaps a greater appreciation for the world outside of NC - I know many, many more former-IB students who graduated and chose jobs in NYC, Chicago, Washington, or abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte