Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 33,532 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm a late 20s young professional and am going to be moving to Charlotte from Raleigh very soon for work. I took a look at an Elmhurst townhome on Friday, and it seemed pretty decent. I currently live in an older place and have a FANTASTIC screened in porch. I'm going to miss that quite a bit. I also live in a very low crime area in Raleigh, which is pretty important to me.

I was looking at moving into Elmhurst apartments off of Dorchester Place. It's in Sedgefield. Does anyone know anything about these apartments? I checked out the place Friday, and it looked pretty decent. I know they are "dated" but that doesn't bother me as where I live now is also. I did a crime search of the area, which initially seemed safe, but then I found a website called CrimeMapping. From November to now, there have been 38 separate incidents on the block that I am looking to rent from over a 6 month period. All other maps that I am able to look at show this as being a "safe" area,but that is based on the last month or so only. Here is a direct link to the map.

I have seen some reports of roach problems there, which concerns me slightly, as I have only ever seen two palmetto bugs in either of the apartments I have lived in since moving to NC. I also notice an extreme lack of information on these places on ApartmentRatings and other similar sites. Many of the reviews on here seem "OVERLY" positive and perhaps created by management. I say that because I notice them bashing Camden and also they seem to make sure to mention Marsh Properties as well as other Marsh Properties properties. Here's a link to the reviews. There's also another page of reviews for them here? Most of these just seem FAKE...

Can anyone please help with this apartment or recommend elsewhere? Here's what is important to me in renting:
1) Close to the train. I want to be able to take Lynx to work.
2) Ideally, a screened porch / sun room
3) 2 bedroom (one room for office)
4) Fairly reasonable rent. Elmhurst seems to be an EXCELLENT deal.
5) I am not a loud person, or a party type, but I don't want to live in the sort of place where there are the sorts of people who complain about their neighbors doing any little thing and are in bed by 7PM. I hope that makes sense.

One thing that really gave me a red flag was how pushy the leasing agent seemed to be. As I said, I filled my application on Thursday night. Got a call back Friday saying I was accepted. Tuesday she emailed asking what length of lease I wanted and I replied. Today I get an email saying I need to sign the lease today (which I still have not even SEEN) by the end of the day or the apartment is going back on the market. I explain that I had not even seen the lease yet and asked her to send it. She did, giving me until tomorrow to read and sign it. Very pushy and this throws up red flags all over my brain.

Please help!? :-S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 PM

14 posts, read 33,532 times
I see 2-3 separate cases of vehicle theft on the crime map. That could be ANYTHING - such as a man taking a woman's vehicle without her permission. Still, I must admit that seeing 38 of the 480 crimes over 6 month period at the block I am looking to live in is QUITE concerning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte