Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:25 PM

628 posts, read 818,970 times

Advertisements

Did OP move back to Northern California? The last time I was there the traffic was pretty bad, and the housing extremely expensive.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 PM

7 posts, read 10,540 times
I am from NYC and in the process of applying to IT jobs in the Charlotte area. I want to live in Troutman. I am 31 with a 3 year old and want to settle down.

I do not enjoy looking for parking for an hour and a half after work everyday. $2000 a month gets you 500 squared feet, noise, garbage and 8 million neighbors. When I look out the window I see cement. I want to see nature.

I know it won't all be cherries. Life's harsh realities present themselves everywhere, but I am ready to try something different. I can't wait to see the stars from down there, be able to wave to someone without being given the finger, and inhale some fresh air!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 PM

145 posts, read 156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizedmortal View Post
I am from NYC and in the process of applying to IT jobs in the Charlotte area. I want to live in Troutman. I am 31 with a 3 year old and want to settle down.

I do not enjoy looking for parking for an hour and a half after work everyday. $2000 a month gets you 500 squared feet, noise, garbage and 8 million neighbors. When I look out the window I see cement. I want to see nature.

I know it won't all be cherries. Life's harsh realities present themselves everywhere, but I am ready to try something different. I can't wait to see the stars from down there, be able to wave to someone without being given the finger, and inhale some fresh air!

I hear u, but troutman is a dump. Many nicer small towns around.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnc View Post
I hear u, but Troutman is a dump. Many nicer small towns around.
Joshnc,

I am in a dump now and almost anything would be a upgrade. I am in Washington Heights 10033 born and raised. This was the drug capital in the late 80s and 90s. I am used to living where there are constant murders, robberies, drug trafficking, kidnappings, etc. Mayor Gulliani cleaned things up but I still have to look over my shoulder even though I make an honest living.

I only make about $50,000 a year doing desktop or helpdesk support so I am not sure that I can afford some of those nicer small towns.

Thank you for the heads up. Please let me know why Troutman may be known to be a dump and where some of those nicer small towns are located?

Last edited by energizedmortal; 02-22-2017 at 08:33 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 01:40 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Joshnc,

I am in a dump now and almost anything would be a upgrade. I am in Washington Heights 10033 born and raised. This was the drug capital in the late 80s and 90s. I am used to living where there are constant murders, robberies, drug trafficking, kidnappings, etc. Mayor Gulliani cleaned things up but I still have to look over my shoulder even though I make an honest living.

I only make about $50,000 a year doing desktop or helpdesk support so I am not sure that I can afford some of those nicer small towns.

Thank you for the heads up. Please let me know why Troutman may be known to be a dump and where some of those nicer small towns are located?
Why would you want to live all the way in Troutman if you're job hunting in Charlotte? There are plenty of smaller towns in closer proximity to Charlotte. What are you looking for in a place to live?

Old 02-22-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why would you want to live all the way in Troutman if you're job hunting in Charlotte? There are plenty of smaller towns in closer proximity to Charlotte. What are you looking for in a place to live?
Homes cost less in Troutman and it is still within an hour commute from Charlotte.

Ideally, I would like to use my 10 years experience and degree in my field to upgrade my position enough to buy my first starter home for around $200k and settle down for 30 years.

Realistically, I may end up on $15 an hour and a 2 bedroom apartment.

What I am looking for in a place to live:

safe
good school system
less noise, traffic, and garbage than NYC
parking

Any suggestions Mutiny77?

Old 02-22-2017, 05:24 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnc View Post
I hear u, but troutman is a dump. Many nicer small towns around.
I've never heard this.

Troutman may not be the wealthiest (i.e. Davidson) or trendiest (i.e. Huntersville, Lake Norman) town or area in that part of the Charlotte Metro. It does have more of an established, traditional, Southern, unassumming, blue-collar feel than some surrounding towns, but that doesn't make it a "dump".

The daily commute to Charlotte wouldn't be something I would want to do from there, though, but that's just me.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I've never heard this.

Troutman may not be the wealthiest (i.e. Davidson) or trendiest (i.e. Huntersville, Lake Norman) town or area in that part of the Charlotte Metro. It does have more of an established, traditional, Southern, unassumming, blue-collar feel than some surrounding towns, but that doesn't make it a "dump".

The daily commute to Charlotte wouldn't be something I would want to do from there, though, but that's just me.
Thanks for your input Jowel, I am open to looking for IT work in other surrounding areas not just Charlotte.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:54 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,352 times
You can find cheap homes in town that will certainly appreciate in value substantially as Charlotte continues to grow. Get on zillow - they are there.

Nothing wrong with troutman other than being a bit far for a commute when you don't need to have one given your criteria.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input Jowel, I am open to looking for IT work in other surrounding areas not just Charlotte.

I signed up just to respond to you. Hit me up as I work in IT and can give you some good tips/pointers and along the same vain as others, you would hate the troutman to Charlotte drive. I know first hand since I drove from Statesville to Charlotte everyday for a year..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte