Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:25 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,243,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Smaller cities have hosted this event. Indy and Jacksonville instantly come to mind.
True, however Indianapolis has a domed stadium which more or less helped the citys cause.

Jacksonville however, was subjected to constant ridicule from the national media when they played host to the big game in 2005. There was this article. There were comments from former NBA player John Salley who was a host on a sports talk show at the time stating he didn't feel safe in the city as a black man . There was also the issue on that the city did not have enough hotel space, and that boats were brought in to serve as hotels and even then there were reports that attendees were staying as far away as Orlando. I also remember reading that people were complaing that the weather was "gloomy" that week.

While I won't say Charlotte will ever host, I just don't see it happening. The NFL seems content with a rotation of domed stadiums, Miami, Tampa, California, and the occasional selection of cities like East Rutherford, NJ. In short, the odds are slim to none, and they are 1% slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 01:22 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Smaller cities have hosted this event. Indy and Jacksonville instantly come to mind.
When Jacksonville Hosted it, They brought in cruise ships, to use as hotel rooms.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:23 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,026 times
However I will say that I feel the game should be rotated. Every city should get a chance to host. It's football afterall. Who cares if it's cold.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:51 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
It's football afterall. Who cares if it's cold.
The NFL is not about the fans, its about big business, its about TV ratings......always was, always will be. The NFL is going to do whatever makes the most money and grows the event. What the actual average Joe fans want are probably 5th or 6th on the list of priorities...lol.

The Superbowl is more about the 'event', than the actual game.

I will say having the SuperBowl in MetLife actually helped "un-domed" coldweather cities (ie Charlotte and north).

The other poster is correct, its less about the weather, and more about having the infrastructure to house all the people for the event. Charlotte is nowhere near having enough hotels to host the event.

Jacksonville was dreadful, and Indy has a dome.

It could happen here, maybe in 15 years or so, but definitely could happen.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 PM

605 posts, read 804,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
True, however Indianapolis has a domed stadium which more or less helped the citys cause.

Jacksonville however, was subjected to constant ridicule from the national media when they played host to the big game in 2005. There was this article. There were comments from former NBA player John Salley who was a host on a sports talk show at the time stating he didn't feel safe in the city as a black man . There was also the issue on that the city did not have enough hotel space, and that boats were brought in to serve as hotels and even then there were reports that attendees were staying as far away as Orlando. I also remember reading that people were complaing that the weather was "gloomy" that week.

While I won't say Charlotte will ever host, I just don't see it happening. The NFL seems content with a rotation of domed stadiums, Miami, Tampa, California, and the occasional selection of cities like East Rutherford, NJ. In short, the odds are slim to none, and they are 1% slim.
I don't really see that happening for Charlotte... When the city hosted the DNC, everyone seemed to love the city.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:47 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,740 times
The other cities have things we don't which I think holds it back. BofA did upgrades for screens and whatever, but what Miami is doing is major reno. Atlanta's new stadium, NY hosting is because its in the largest media market in the country. Indy has a dome, N.O has a dome, AZ has climate, and so on. Charlotte would need to do someting to set itself apart from the other small markets to land it.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:53 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Not forever. Perceived as Podunk. When they quit having to add "North Carolina" then maybe.
+1

That reminds me of how many times I've told people I've moved to Charlotte. They get a split second confused look, so I quickly add, "North Carolina." Then clarity returns to their face.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
Charlotte has been ready to host a Super Bowl. It should happen sooner than later.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:53 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Although ridiculous, it seems you must build a new stadium in order to get a Super Bowl today.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:00 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Although ridiculous, it seems you must build a new stadium in order to get a Super Bowl today.
Why is it ridiculous for the NFL to want the largest single sporting event in America to be played at new shiny up to date stadium? Use the best venues for the biggest events.

Charlotte would be in the running for a Super Bowl right after we build a new stadium. B of A stadium is to old and dated, walk into AT&T stadium and you will see why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte