Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:36 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Orlando? Aren't the other 3 teams in FL all struggling to selll tickets?

Vegas? nope, not happening. Besides LA I don't see any other market getting an NFL team anytime soon.

not sure why LA is in the discussion, they couldn't keep the rams or the raiders.
L.A. Could more than support two teams. They lost both their teams, because of two quirky owners. The funding is in place for a 1.5 billion stadium, and they will have 2 teams most likely. When they get those two teams there will be a vacuum where those teams left, and there is far more cities that could host an NFL team. Your shortsighted if you're thinking it's only LA, and Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 06:48 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
Quote:
The Panthers arent moving... they generate too much revenue.
Panthers are middle of the pack among NFL teams in revenue...17th out of 32.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Stop. You have one of the most established teams in the league Vs the panthers with a very soft fan base. It's nowhere near the same thing. An owner would be crazy to move a team from Philly. Carolina not so much.
People in Philly thought for sure that the team was going to LA. It didn't.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Panthers are middle of the pack among NFL teams in revenue...17th out of 32.
they generate too much revenue for Charlotte.

no way city leaders let this team move.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
People in Philly thought for sure that the team was going to LA. It didn't.
and those people were clueless...lol.

People in Charlotte thought the Panthers would move when they were arguing over stadium funding 2 years ago. Its great for talk radio and newspapers but it was never a possibility.

every time a team is bought or stadium funding is an issue the first thing people talk about is the team moving.

it rarely happens.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:58 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
Quote:
they generate too much revenue for Charlotte.

no way city leaders let this team move.
Thats an even weaker argument. The city and county already give away most Panthers-related revenue. Its not about revenue for the city, its about prestige, quality of life, corporate recruitment, etc. Other, more desperate cities would be extremely aggressive in courting the Panthers if given the chance. Never say "no way". There most definitely is a way.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:09 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Orlando? Aren't the other 3 teams in FL all struggling to selll tickets?

Vegas? nope, not happening. Besides LA I don't see any other market getting an NFL team anytime soon.

not sure why LA is in the discussion, they couldn't keep the rams or the raiders.
LA is in the discussion because it's the largest market without a team and the city wants one...badly. But as mentioned earlier, it appears as though the Chargers or Rams may move there.

At any rate, the three markets I mentioned are the ones I could possibly see the Panthers doing better in. All in all, I think the chances are very low that they'll move.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:10 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
and those people were clueless...lol.

People in Charlotte thought the Panthers would move when they were arguing over stadium funding 2 years ago. Its great for talk radio and newspapers but it was never a possibility.

every time a team is bought or stadium funding is an issue the first thing people talk about is the team moving.

it rarely happens.
I'm using a phone & can't copy & paste with it or I'd post links to prove my point.

When a team goes up for sale there's always a possibility of a move. You're too young to remember NYC teams moving to California. The Oakland As came from Kansas City & before that Philadelphia. No place is exempt from losing a team. I was working in Owings Mills when the Colts snuck off in the middle of the night for Indianapolis. Teams move. You can't assume that a team will move or stay when it goes up for sale.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm using a phone & can't copy & paste with it or I'd post links to prove my point.

When a team goes up for sale there's always a possibility of a move. You're too young to remember NYC teams moving to California. The Oakland As came from Kansas City & before that Philadelphia. No place is exempt from losing a team. I was working in Owings Mills when the Colts snuck off in the middle of the night for Indianapolis. Teams move. You can't assume that a team will move or stay when it goes up for sale.
LOL.. there is no need. All it would do is help prove MY point.

I'm old enough to remember the Colts moving in the middle of the night to Indy but that was waaay back in 1984.

I never said it doesn't happen. However, it's RARE and right now there are 5 teams in the discussion for a move and Charlotte isn't one of them.

maybe we should get back to discussing the SB instead of talking about the Panthers moving because it's not even up for debate right now.

IMO Charlotte is a few years away but they can get it if they get a few more hotel rooms. Slim chance but I can see them being in the mix when the next round of talks come up in 5 years.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Thats an even weaker argument. The city and county already give away most Panthers-related revenue. Its not about revenue for the city, its about prestige, quality of life, corporate recruitment, etc. Other, more desperate cities would be extremely aggressive in courting the Panthers if given the chance. Never say "no way". There most definitely is a way.
if given the chance? The problem with that argument is there is no chance.

Right now there are 5 teams in the mix to move.

Jacksonville
St. Loius
Buffalo
San Diego
Oakland

Charlotte isn't on that list for obvious reasons. This city values the team and the revenue/exposure it brings to the city. All you have to do is drive down to the stadium for a preseason or regular season game and you will see why this team isn't moving.

What city is more desperate than Charlotte to be a world class city in the south at the moment? Charlotte will do whatever it takes to make sure this team stays here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte