Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 09:07 PM

15 posts, read 13,693 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty certain I'll have to find a home outside 485 in one of the various "burbs" due to budget. So are any particular commutes to uptown (convention center area) noticeably better than others during rush hour? Like tell me about how Belmont , Huntersville, Fort Mill, highland creek, concord compare. Don't think I can afford Ballantyne but toss that in too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 04:10 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy300 View Post
I'm pretty certain I'll have to find a home outside 485 in one of the various "burbs" due to budget. So are any particular commutes to uptown (convention center area) noticeably better than others during rush hour? Like tell me about how Belmont , Huntersville, Fort Mill, highland creek, concord compare. Don't think I can afford Ballantyne but toss that in too. Thanks.
Traffic coming from the west will be the least congested. It's a straight shot in from Gaston County on US74 AKA Wilkinson Blvd.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 AM

15 posts, read 13,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Traffic coming from the west will be the least congested. It's a straight shot in from Gaston County on US74 AKA Wilkinson Blvd.
That's interesting to me because it is also the shortest distance yet it seems to be the least discussed suburban landing spot for incoming transplants. What's the skinny on Belmont/Cramerton/Lowell? Is it the schools? Or it doesn't have the amenities like dining and shopping options people tend to want nearby? Does this western suburban area show any signs of growth?

Old 10-08-2015, 07:02 AM

625 posts, read 488,519 times
Commuting from / to Fort Mill to Uptown Charlotte is a nightmare (77 North).
I live in Fort Mill and work in Ballantyne which is a breeze. I have neighbors that have to get on 77 North and they complain about how horrible it is. First getting on the highway and then the bumper to bumper traffic. I've driven it a couple of times for my son's field trips from school and am so glad that's not my daily commute!

Old 10-08-2015, 07:06 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times
Quote:

From what I've heard from my neighbors with the commutes to/from uptown (or farther) via 485 their commutes are now a breeze (20/25 minutes) since 485 opened up near Highland Creek. We live in a neighborhood right next to HC.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
That's interesting to me because it is also the shortest distance yet it seems to be the least discussed suburban landing spot for incoming transplants. What's the skinny on Belmont/Cramerton/Lowell? Is it the schools? Or it doesn't have the amenities like dining and shopping options people tend to want nearby? Does this western suburban area show any signs of growth?
Gastonia has most of the shopping that anyone could want. Growth is slower but there are plenty of transplants from Belmont to Kings Mountain. Schools range from good to ok to crappy, just like anywhere else.

The area west of Charlotte used to be full of mills & the area is rebuilding. City & town officials haven't given builders carte blanche because they're more concerned with getting a variety of businesses in to replace the mills.

All I can say is come out & look.

Lowell schools are not tied to Belmont & Cramerton other than being in the Gaston County district. You'd have to check on them.

Highland Tech is a magnet high school for Gaston County. It's excellent, but not everyone is admitted.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:44 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times
Commuting from the 77 corridor both north and south is a terrible. If you want a decent commute then choose a suburb along the 85 corridor. Either Gaston County (Belmont, Gastonia, Mt. Holly, etc) or Cabarrus County (Concord, Kannapolis, Harrisburg). You'll also want avoid South Carolina, Ballantyne, Matthews, and Union County if you care about commute time.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:21 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,339,296 times
OP, I would suggest going on google maps around 8AM and 5PM a few different days to see the drive times for these areas, or even specific house addresses if you are looking.

I'm thinking the ranking would probably go something like this of the areas you mentioned IMO:

1. Belmont - easier than the rest but not without its issues. The 485/85 merge can be a problem sometimes, and 85 in general is loaded with tractor trailers. I believe its further west where 85 loses a lane but I've run into major delays there.

2. Highland Creek - taking into consideration that you now have the option of 77 or 85.

Tie-3. Huntersville at exit 23 or further south

Tie-3. SW Concord closer to Concord Mills

Tie-5. Fort Mill

Tie-5. Huntersville at exit 25

Tie-5. Further north in Concord

Old 10-08-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
OP, I would suggest going on google maps around 8AM and 5PM a few different days to see the drive times for these areas, or even specific house addresses if you are looking.

I'm thinking the ranking would probably go something like this of the areas you mentioned IMO:

1. Belmont - easier than the rest but not without its issues. The 485/85 merge can be a problem sometimes, and 85 in general is loaded with tractor trailers. I believe its further west where 85 loses a lane but I've run into major delays there.

2. Highland Creek - taking into consideration that you now have the option of 77 or 85.

Tie-3. Huntersville at exit 23 or further south

Tie-3. SW Concord closer to Concord Mills

Tie-5. Fort Mill

Tie-5. Huntersville at exit 25

Tie-5. Further north in Concord
Unless there's a bad accident on Wilkinson Blvd there's no need to get on 85/485 from Belmont. If I drive into Charlotte from Kings Mountain I hop on 74 to exit 10, then get off 85 at exit 27, drive two blocks, then hang a left onto Wilkinson, & cruise into Charlotte. Wilkinson will dump you onto 277 & then you get off in a couple of miles.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:46 PM

34 posts, read 114,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
From what I've heard from my neighbors with the commutes to/from uptown (or farther) via 485 their commutes are now a breeze (20/25 minutes) since 485 opened up near Highland Creek. We live in a neighborhood right next to HC.
Do they take 485 to 77, or 485 to 85? I will need to commute from Highland Creek to Uptown (W Trade St) soon and am wondering which option would be better. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte