Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 PM

79 posts, read 314,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgballer View Post
Check out Belmont (the city, not the neighborhood in Charlotte). It is real close (5-10 mins) to Gastonia but IMHO much nicer. The housing is more expensive than in Gastonia but:
- Right around 10,000 folks
- Very child friendly
- Minimal crime
- Solid middle class, relatively little poverty, rich folks have riverfront houses
- Great historic downtown area
- Conservative

Chamber of commerce:
Home

Pics:
Belmont, NC : Belmont - City Hall photo
Belmont, NC : Belmont - Historic Downtown photo
I will definitely check it out - it sounds great! Thanks!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Check out Belmont (the city, not the neighborhood in Charlotte). It is real close (5-10 mins) to Gastonia but IMHO much nicer. The housing is more expensive than in Gastonia but:
- Right around 10,000 folks
- Very child friendly
- Minimal crime
- Solid middle class, relatively little poverty, rich folks have riverfront houses
- Great historic downtown area
- Conservative

Chamber of commerce:
Home

Pics:
Belmont, NC : Belmont - City Hall photo
Too funny! The banners on the lamppost are the same exact banners hanging in our city here (city name changed of course!) It must mean something!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,652 times
Default Gastonia

Originally from Connecticut and lived here since 1990. Gastonia has changed considerably. I liked the "old" Gastonia. I have watched the area "natives" be pushed out due to development. Southern culture tries to hold on, but it is fading. I moved here because it was lay-back, land and homes were affordable, people minded their own business, and were polite.

With the growth of Charlotte and the economic downturn in many
"northern" areas, a steady flow of people began to settle here for much the same reason I did. Lower taxes, affordable land and housing, cheaper gas, the relaxed atmosphere, and Southern charm. But that was not good enough and why adapt when you really felt you had some of that "northern" knowledge you could inject to make a good place even better. And of course you wanted everybody to know of all the good things the area had to offer, especially the affordable housing/land, and then the realtors stepped in to handle this, land and homes began to climb in prices, investment groups horded the open grounds, and Gastonia began to take off. I hear it today when some guy relocates his family from Jersey and says, "Wow, I cannot believe I could get a home like this for $250,000 because in Jersy this would have cost me $400,000." So he is happy because he got such a deal, the realtors decide we are selling too low, and the builders can't put up homes/condos quick enough to cater to these kind of people. In the meantime, those who grew up here are forced out because they cannot afford to live here. Those lower end natives who could afford the single wide trailer were forced out due to restrictions and zoning laws brought on by the "outsiders", and those who moved into the area because of the Southern way of life had no intentions of leaving that way because they wanted to recreate the area in which they came from, a sort of created "home away from home". So in trying to get away from what they hated, they have recreated those same things at the cost of what they initially saw here. So, once that initial joy of the home purchase wears off, they come to the reality that everything is proportionate and the wages are lower, jobs are lesser, taxes are higher, gas is no deal, traffic is horrible, crime has gone up, and the polite has been replaced with a frustration and anger. With the security of their friends and family gone, things don't look so exciting anymore. I do miss the people of New England as there are certainly cultural differences we are all raised by, north or south, that cannot be replaced...ever. If you do relocate, don't come here to look for a job, you better already have one in place, or you may place yourself (and your family) in a real jam. Hey, welcome to Gastonia.

On the other hand, plenty of places to eat and shop as that seems the backbone of Gastonia. Textiles used to be the mainstay of the area, but that has all gone overseas. You know we are the place to relocate when you have 2 Wal-Mart Super Stores, one at each end of the city! Your close to the psuedo "world class city" of Charlotte with its upscale crowd and high prices. You will love the confusion of driving downtown and trying to find parking. But you probably want to get used to the Charlotte area because this is where you may find your job amid those long traffic packed commutes. A simple 4 hour traffic congested drive from Myrtle Beach where you will be greeted by everyone else who had the same idea to go to the beach. A 2 hour drive to the mountains. I love the Scheile Museum. Kings Mountain military park is a must for the historian. Several mountains offering trails and climbing as well. Some areas nearby are still very Southern communities. If you don't know what a "red-neck" is, you better learn. Some places you just nod and smile and say "yes, sir" and "no, maam", and that includes the local police departments. But over-all, I still like Gastonia and I call it home. As long as I can afford to live here, I will, but the day may come when I get pushed out because I cannot afford to live here.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:16 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,876 times
[quote=KNOTTE;2724976]Hi!!

My family is considering relocating from VT to NC and my cousin has recommended Gastonia - she lives there... Don't worry. We might be yankees but we're nice yankees.

I am hoping you all could give me some info on the area. Here are my questions:

1) How are the schools (we have an 8 yr old and a 3 yr old)? -- The County Schools are good, the only ones in the City Limits that are really worth writing home about are WA Bess and the one on New Hope Road (cannot think of the name). Otherwise, you might want to steer clear. Robinson Elementary is Very over crowded.

2) Is Gastonia a nice area to raise a family? The West End is not a good place to raise kids, there is another bad part but it's escaping me right now.

3) How is the job market? I'm an accountant and HR manager. My husband can keep his job regardless of where he lives. I do not beleive the job market is huge there, the best bet is to get a job in Charlotte and endure the 'hellish' commutes so many do.

4) Is there a lot for the kids to do?
I think so, but the city as a whole doesn't offer alot, unlike Charlotte. There is no Ray's Splash Planet, no Discovery Place, etc. I'm sure you can find things to do if necessary.

5) How safe is the area?This depends on which zipcode you choose 28056 is pretty good, 28054 iffy - 28052 drive by and don't stop.

6) Will we be accepted there since we are northerners? I've read some other threads about how Northerners are not welcome.

So many out of towners moved in here, there's really no divide anymore as to whether they like or dislike you. If your a jerk, they will treat you like a jerk. Just don't come in with your bass tube on and everything will be fine.

7) How much are property taxes? Insurance? The taxes are a bit lower then Charlotte, but City of Gastonia will charge equal amounts to what you'd pay in Charlotte. Our City of Gastonia water seemed SUPER expensive in my opinion.

8) Is the area liberal or conservative? We are definitely more conservative and are sick of liberal VT.

There are lots of churchs and your 'hearts will be blessed every day".

9) How much does Daycare run? Our preschool ran $125 a week 2 years ago, so it's probably higher now. Call around and get on waiting lists. Some do not open up spaces until the Fall due to enrollment this time of year. PM if your interested in the one we used, Loved it.

Also, there are TONS of great resturants (mostly chains) and even more moving in. My favorite was The Cook Out. It was really nice.

The weather was so much better in NC then where you are. The spring is my favorite time of year. I've been here for 9 years, from the blizzard captial of the east coast.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjim View Post
Originally from Connecticut and lived here since 1990. Gastonia has changed considerably. I liked the "old" Gastonia. I have watched the area "natives" be pushed out due to development. Southern culture tries to hold on, but it is fading. I moved here because it was lay-back, land and homes were affordable, people minded their own business, and were polite.

With the growth of Charlotte and the economic downturn in many
"northern" areas, a steady flow of people began to settle here for much the same reason I did. Lower taxes, affordable land and housing, cheaper gas, the relaxed atmosphere, and Southern charm. But that was not good enough and why adapt when you really felt you had some of that "northern" knowledge you could inject to make a good place even better. And of course you wanted everybody to know of all the good things the area had to offer, especially the affordable housing/land, and then the realtors stepped in to handle this, land and homes began to climb in prices, investment groups horded the open grounds, and Gastonia began to take off. I hear it today when some guy relocates his family from Jersey and says, "Wow, I cannot believe I could get a home like this for $250,000 because in Jersy this would have cost me $400,000." So he is happy because he got such a deal, the realtors decide we are selling too low, and the builders can't put up homes/condos quick enough to cater to these kind of people. In the meantime, those who grew up here are forced out because they cannot afford to live here. Those lower end natives who could afford the single wide trailer were forced out due to restrictions and zoning laws brought on by the "outsiders", and those who moved into the area because of the Southern way of life had no intentions of leaving that way because they wanted to recreate the area in which they came from, a sort of created "home away from home". So in trying to get away from what they hated, they have recreated those same things at the cost of what they initially saw here. So, once that initial joy of the home purchase wears off, they come to the reality that everything is proportionate and the wages are lower, jobs are lesser, taxes are higher, gas is no deal, traffic is horrible, crime has gone up, and the polite has been replaced with a frustration and anger. With the security of their friends and family gone, things don't look so exciting anymore. I do miss the people of New England as there are certainly cultural differences we are all raised by, north or south, that cannot be replaced...ever. If you do relocate, don't come here to look for a job, you better already have one in place, or you may place yourself (and your family) in a real jam. Hey, welcome to Gastonia.

On the other hand, plenty of places to eat and shop as that seems the backbone of Gastonia. Textiles used to be the mainstay of the area, but that has all gone overseas. You know we are the place to relocate when you have 2 Wal-Mart Super Stores, one at each end of the city! Your close to the psuedo "world class city" of Charlotte with its upscale crowd and high prices. You will love the confusion of driving downtown and trying to find parking. But you probably want to get used to the Charlotte area because this is where you may find your job amid those long traffic packed commutes. A simple 4 hour traffic congested drive from Myrtle Beach where you will be greeted by everyone else who had the same idea to go to the beach. A 2 hour drive to the mountains. I love the Scheile Museum. Kings Mountain military park is a must for the historian. Several mountains offering trails and climbing as well. Some areas nearby are still very Southern communities. If you don't know what a "red-neck" is, you better learn. Some places you just nod and smile and say "yes, sir" and "no, maam", and that includes the local police departments. But over-all, I still like Gastonia and I call it home. As long as I can afford to live here, I will, but the day may come when I get pushed out because I cannot afford to live here.

What you described above is exactly why we are leaving VT... The city folk came in and did the same thing here and now you can't touch a house for under $200k, taxes on a $200k house are $3500/yr, oil is out of control... and VT has gone from a fairly conservative place when I was a kid to the most liberal state... Depressing...

Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM

55 posts, read 210,999 times
Default Gastonia is great

We are from the south originally, but lived in the northeast due to military service and jobs afterwards. We moved to east of gastonia a year ago and absolutely love it. Easy access to the airport and uptown charlotte is great.
Growth east of downtown Gastonia is exciting and the area has a lot of positive things to consider. Remember Charlotte is the gateway to Gastonia haha. Seriously gastonia has a lot to offer, but like all areas you have to pick the side of town which is best suited for your family and lifestyle.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:19 PM

126 posts, read 579,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
I'm kind of afraid of Charlotte, only because coming from VT, it might be a culture shock moving to a large city. The "city" we live in - (used to be the 2nd largest - is only about 15,000 people). We'd really like a small quite area within a neighborhood, but enough elbow room so we don't share a yard with our neighbor. Any suggestions?

Look into Lincolnton

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,697 times
Consider Belmont, NC. Halfway between Gastonia and Charlotte and a very nice place to live with a vibrant uptown and bright future as the area continues to grow. Also gives you the job opportuinties of both cities within 1 15 min. drive, with the small town appeal. Home of Belmont Abbey College and Lake Wylie is close by if you enjoy water sports. Nice place to live and raise a family.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM

41 posts, read 106,090 times
Quote:
I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

2) Is Gastonia a nice area to raise a family?
Depends on where in Gastonia. South-eastern part is pretty nice, the rest can be iffy.

3) How is the job market? I'm an accountant and HR manager. My husband can keep his job regardless of where he lives.
Job market is very tight. Do yourself (and your family) a favor and don't move here w/o a job.

5) How safe is the area?
It really depends where you are in Gastonia. I'd consider south-eastern Gastonia safe, the rest can be iffy.

6) Will we be accepted there since we are northerners? I've read some other threads about how Northerners are not welcome.
We moved here from out West and had no problems getting accepted. You wrote that you are from Vermont and folks from New England are not like the people from NJ or NYC. I wouldn't worry about it.

8) Is the area liberal or conservative? We are definitely more conservative and are sick of liberal VT.
Very conservative.
" You wrote that you are from Vermont and folks from New England are not like the people from NJ or NYC. I wouldn't worry about it."

How are the folks from NYC & NJ? Just wondering- I would like your insight.

Thank you.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:24 PM

146 posts, read 474,242 times
Quote:
I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

2) Is Gastonia a nice area to raise a family?
Depends on where in Gastonia. South-eastern part is pretty nice, the rest can be iffy.

3) How is the job market? I'm an accountant and HR manager. My husband can keep his job regardless of where he lives.
Job market is very tight. Do yourself (and your family) a favor and don't move here w/o a job.

5) How safe is the area?
It really depends where you are in Gastonia. I'd consider south-eastern Gastonia safe, the rest can be iffy.

We moved here from out West and had no problems getting accepted. You wrote that you are from Vermont and folks from New England are not like the people from NJ or NYC. I wouldn't worry about it.

Very conservative.
"not like people from NJ"? ouch!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte