Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:48 AM

436 posts, read 445,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Some posters would like us to believe that hateful tendencies within a person's subconscious dictate behavior, and to some degree this is true in all individuals.

Unfortunately, this truth is, in itself, colored (no pun).

For if I knew that a shopping mall was frequented/dominated by skinheads - you can be sure that I would not want to shop there. Just because they're white means nothing; their ideology would make me uncomfortable, to the extent that I'd adjust my behavior.

And I've been to South Park, with other patrons who're people of color; educated, well dressed, with likely more money in their pockets than I have in mine. Never felt uncomfortable. No reason for me to.

Moving forward, to what degree is the media culpable for the public's perception? It's a major event when an inch of snow falls!

In any circle can ignorance be found, black or white.

But people are getting shot, and the concern that people are having toward this reality, is being cast down as simple prejudice.

This I cannot understand...

Well put. I feel the same as you.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:53 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Except you made the claim "Fact is, the more diverse, the more crime."

I agree with NDL's post as well. So you agree race isn't a factor? Did you change your mind? You can't agree with his post that race isn't determining factor and make a statement like the one highlighted.

You can't have it both ways. Or maybe you've just adjusted your view, which in case, would be great because it would show you are actually absorbing some of the key facts put before you.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post

I agree with NDL's post as well. So you agree race isn't a factor? Did you change your mind? You can't agree with his post that race isn't determining factor and make a statement like the one highlighted.

You can't have it both ways. Or maybe you've just adjusted your view, which in case, would be great because it would show you are actually absorbing some of the key facts put before you.
It isn't so much that race isn't a factor, as much as it is common sense. I say this not to insult you, for you are obviously intelligent, and your arguments are worthy of consideration.

It's unfortunate that most people like to see only their own perspective in a debate; use facts that support their side, while ignoring everything else.

It is indeed true that a small segment of whites typecast everyone, and everything, and live in a shell of their own making. This is true; it's something that I won't debate.

But this represents a very small segment of whites.

Most people don't give a damn about anything, so long as it doesn't effect them.

Most people have enough going on in their lives, that they needn't manufacture boogeymen with which to be afraid.

I confess to applying common sense in everyday situations.

The vast majority of serial killers are young white males. If I am in a shopping mall, and in scanning the floor I see a militant looking (skinhead appearing) young white male, acting in a suspicious fashion, you can be sure that I will make myself aware of where mall exits are.

I wouldn't react that way towards a nicely dressed middle classed white. Nor would I see any concern when in the company of a young black lady, or ladies. I would not react that way in the company of a nicely dressed black man.

I would, however, react in such a way, if in the company of a Timothy McVeigh type, whose body language is suspicious.

If that makes me ignorant...well, so be it .

Old 02-15-2016, 06:30 AM

436 posts, read 445,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post

No, I absolutely do not agree that "race isn't a determining factor." That would be stupid to say that. I have no change of mind. Diversity, in most cases increases the chances of crime depending on the make up of the diverse group. Don't play with words, you know where I stand. I like the diversity I have seen in Vienna, Stockholm, Edinburgh, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and the Baltic countries in general.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Once again another thread discussing anything but North Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte