Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:40 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Why don't you enlighten us. Sounds like you may know the key.

I think I know what explanation you are likely to depend on. It's likely a worldview that impacts the way you view a great number of issues. The fact that you believe something doesn't make it right. I think your hesitance to be more straightforward is a sign of conscience and was the tip to me that it may be an opinion worth cloaking. Because you know it's not right. And likely are ashamed of having that view. So kudos for that.

Or if you're not ashamed your just using code words to get past common sense moderation of civic discussion. If that's what you're doing, then shame on you.

But really I'm not sure what you're saying since you haven't made any points. So...I'm asking, if it's not poverty, what can explain different % rates of crime at malls in different parts of our city?

I think malls that are closer to poverty are likely to find more crime.

The fact that this mall has seemingly continued to "spiral downhill" for over 10 years based on the anecdotes of like-minded observers shows that the mall is either 1) not doing as poorly as some believe 2) had plenty of success along the way to keep it afloat. Northlake Mall was sold in 2014 for 1.4B dollars. People that spend that kind of money don't typically make rash or uninformed decisions. On the flip side, someone thought it was worth selling, so maybe we'll see who made the right investment, but it's certain that a property "spiraling" out of control and has "gotten so bad" may not be doing that poorly at all.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 AM

48 posts, read 70,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
For a mall with so much crime at/surrounding it, it stays successful and busy.
Hmmm. Reflects area intelligence?

Old 02-03-2016, 04:31 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
NorthLake has been turned into the Eastland Mall of the 2000s. It's headed to the same destination too. White middle class will avoid it, and without that, they can't survive from an economic standpoint.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:41 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
Unfortunately, it is becoming an Eastland. These days it isn't just the "low income" housing. There are some really nice looking areas on north Beatty's Ford Road and other places where crime is taking it's toll. The poverty theory is being found to be a not so valid theory.
I'm also curious as to what the 'real' reason is for the crime. Please share.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:01 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
NorthLake has been turned into the Eastland Mall of the 2000s. It's headed to the same destination too. White middle class will avoid it, and without that, they can't survive from an economic standpoint.
Agreed.

I will gladly drive right past Northlake at this point to literally any other mall in the area until there's an effort to saturate the area in police and clean it up. Nearly all my friends feel the exact same way.

But, what does bring the crime element to this mall versus Southlake or Concord Mills? I'm genuinely asking. There can't be that many low income housing projects near Northlake is there? Granted I don't drive around beyond the shopping in the area so maybe down some of the side roads is a plethora of low income but what I can see looks fairly nice. Is there a lot more public transportation with stops at this mall versus other area malls that bring in more crime? I'm curious as to what makes THIS mall THE place for crime lately?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Crime is a moral problem and not a poverty problem. Many people live in poverty and never resort to crime.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
WOW.... someone prefers Concord Mills to Northlake?

WOW. Just wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Agreed.

I will gladly drive right past Northlake at this point to literally any other mall in the area until there's an effort to saturate the area in police and clean it up. Nearly all my friends feel the exact same way.

But, what does bring the crime element to this mall versus Southlake or Concord Mills? I'm genuinely asking. There can't be that many low income housing projects near Northlake is there? Granted I don't drive around beyond the shopping in the area so maybe down some of the side roads is a plethora of low income but what I can see looks fairly nice. Is there a lot more public transportation with stops at this mall versus other area malls that bring in more crime? I'm curious as to what makes THIS mall THE place for crime lately?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:40 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,584,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
For a mall with so much crime at/surrounding it, it stays successful and busy.
Do you have any data or insight to prove that it's sucessful and busy? What you think is one thing. Having actual proof that stores in and around the mall are profitable is another thing. PLease share if so.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Agreed.

basically south of harris blvd is ghetto. There's a few neighborhoods that aren't bad between exit 18, and 16 on 77, but below exit 16, to uptown charlotte is some of the worst neighborhoods in charlotte. It's the closest retail area for these folks.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
WOW.... someone prefers Concord Mills to Northlake?

WOW. Just wow
honestly take ghetto race crime whatever out of the equation, and northlake mall, and concord mills mall, are two completely different animals. You can't even compare the two. two totally different aspects of retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte