Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 07:21 AM

6 posts, read 19,481 times

Advertisements

My Husbands future job is in Concord but he is willing to do some traveling if it meant our son would be in a good school. I have read a lot of the posts from parents of Autistic children but no one has mentioned having a low functioning autistic child. My son is ten and has been in a private school in New Jersey since he was two and has made minimal progress. We also have three girls ages 12, 8 and 7. We would like to live in a kid friendly neighborhood for them. Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,454 times
not sure if this is going to work but here goes

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=3696318

This should give you multiple threads for yout ot read through. Sorry I do not have the answer and this is the best I can do for you.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
I know it is often very difficult planning a move. Add to that finding a school to meet your sons needs can make it even harder. Even though my son is high functioning, I understand your concerns. We have been thoroughly pleased with the schools addressing our son's needs. I hope you find the same results for your children.

Have you tried to contact The Autism Society of NC? The Charlotte office has some wonderful people there that may be better equiped to offer some advice. They were very helpful to us when we were planning our move. I would also recommend a phone call or meeting with the Director of EC services for your area. Autism Society of North Carolina This link is for the ASNC and will provide you with some very important phone numbers. Best of luck to you.=0)

Old 02-21-2008, 03:43 PM

7 posts, read 15,528 times
Default Garr Christian Academy

I am in the process of planning a move to the Charlotte area myself. My wife and I have looked at several private schools in the area and there was one that has a special program for autistic children. It's Garr Christian Academy, their website is: Splash They seem to be in the process of updating their website so the link to the autism section is down but here is that website: Garr Autism NOW Home

Good luck with your search and move!

Jake Carter

Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 PM

268 posts, read 1,108,646 times
Welcome to the area...

We moved about 8 months ago with a 16 year old (low-moderate) functioning autistic child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: