Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 09:30 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times

Advertisements

We're so devastated. We have been planning our move for a year now and have our apt and everything booked in Huntersville.nwe had chosen the Charlotte area because it's a major financial hub. We just happen to also like it a lot so two pluses.
Husband just graduated from FIU with a degree in Finance (top 15% of his class)in early Aug. he immediately started putting in apps the week he graduated (no one would look at his others until his transcripts came in) at all then finance places like BOA and Wells Fargo etc as well as smaller companies. Not one call back or reply from anyone. He's been proactive and checked on his apps and looks for new jobs constantly. It's not like he has a bad resume, he's worked in law at the same dept for 12 years as well as previous sales/management.

At this point we had to spend $1500 to reserve a new apt down here in Fla because it doesn't look like he'll have a new job by the time our apt up there is ready. Our condo is being sold here so our landlord won't let us stay in our new place. Are there any suggestions someone can give us other than the obvious finance places we hear about that could be an option? I'm so stressed and we are all put out by this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:05 AM

743 posts, read 825,933 times
He could try Met life,Lowe's corporate HQ as well Novant health or CMC for finance related postions. He could also try TIAA & Avid Exchange

Old 09-05-2016, 12:52 PM

488 posts, read 798,903 times
BAC and WF do not move fast on permanent positions. Sometimes it can take months. I was an internal hire and I applied in June and started the end of October.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:50 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
BAC and WF do not move fast on permanent positions. Sometimes it can take months. I was an internal hire and I applied in June and started the end of October.

Yes - Can vouch for BOA as I'm a current BOA employee as well. They definitely tend to drag their feet when it comes to the hiring practice. When I started with the bank, I started in a support role as an external hire but interviewed like an Executive as I had to come back (3) different times for interviews for the same role....Unfortunately, its just the process and the way it is.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Generally, the financial service companies don't hire this time of year, as they're looking to cut expenses to meet budget requirements at the end of the year.

An interview now however may result in a job after the first of the year.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
We're so devastated. We have been planning our move for a year now and have our apt and everything booked in Huntersville.nwe had chosen the Charlotte area because it's a major financial hub. We just happen to also like it a lot so two pluses.
Husband just graduated from FIU with a degree in Finance (top 15% of his class)in early Aug. he immediately started putting in apps the week he graduated (no one would look at his others until his transcripts came in) at all then finance places like BOA and Wells Fargo etc as well as smaller companies. Not one call back or reply from anyone. He's been proactive and checked on his apps and looks for new jobs constantly. It's not like he has a bad resume, he's worked in law at the same dept for 12 years as well as previous sales/management.

At this point we had to spend $1500 to reserve a new apt down here in Fla because it doesn't look like he'll have a new job by the time our apt up there is ready. Our condo is being sold here so our landlord won't let us stay in our new place. Are there any suggestions someone can give us other than the obvious finance places we hear about that could be an option? I'm so stressed and we are all put out by this situation.
Without knowing what field he is trying to get into (accounting, analyst, trading, wealth/retirement) here are some options.Try staffing agencies (Randstad, Talent Bridge, and Robeft Half) that is how everyone in my department got into Wells. Also look into other companies outside of BofA and Wells. Look into Score group, Lowes, Met Life,Sonic Auto, JLL, Price Waterhouse, Duke Energy, Tiaa Cref (has a huge office here), Aon Hewitt, Areva, Electrolux, Siemens, AXA, Enterprise Holdings(corp hq of enterprise), Compass Group( does vending/concessions/food for sports/colleges/companies), Carolinas Medical, Novant Health, and I could keep going. Don't just look at large banks there are tons of companies that need people in finance/accounting.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

FIU, I'm assuming Florida International in Miami. If this is the case, stay in the South FL area, there are financial jobs there and he has his network that hopefully he developed in school, join some trade organizations and talk to people. As you found out, blind applying does not get you far, he needs to be out making connections talking to professionals in his area every week, and not just via Linkdin.

In S. FL you have the base of his network, i.e. school, and general connections from living there. In Charlotte you will start from square one with nothing but a resume.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:49 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Unlike an undergraduate degree, which basically shows you could stick with something, well actually, anything, for four years, the value of grad degrees is highly dependent on the place you got it. Unfortunately, an MBA is not just an MBA.

You might have better luck in Florida, where possibly the institution is better known. Get some experience in finance, and then make a move, leveraging experience instead of a degree.

I am 100% certain this is not what you want to hear, but I believe it to be true. Having stated that, there are a lot more small businesses in Charlotte than huge ones.

Just so you know, I had degree, with pedigree, and in early 2000's, was a finalist for big time BOA position. Did not get it, but ended up in a smaller, totally fun company. Found it by pure chance. Made lots of money, great friends, and never looked back.

Good Luck.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:28 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Staying in Florida is not an option for us. We need to get out for health and the fact that we absolutely hate it here. We "stuck it out" for 5 years for him to go to college and we cannot stick it out anymore. We will have to just keep looking and trying. Thank you for your suggestions everyone !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte