Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 AM

38 posts, read 116,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You will find things are not as congested and the crime is not as prevalent as it sometimes appears from reading this forum!!! Your kids will enjoy it here, I am sure. Do you play golf? We are blessed w/ wonderful golf courses all around the metro.
yes with the weather comes in lots of out door activities. i was just presented with some golf stuff. at least i need to pick up this game. until now it is limited to driving ranges only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Default NY Guy Wants to move to NC

Ani - This title would seem to sound like a common title for a thread here.
The story as follows:

I'm a guy who would like to purchase a few acres outside of town to build a new house. My mother and father want me to stay in NY, and my brothers and sisters are urging me to build a home in Rhode Island. My buddy Bobby suggests building something in NJ, but land is expensive there and I can't find a property I like. My friend Freddy can come down to help with some landscaping. I'll probably be working from home a lot. My wife is a sahm. Is this doable?
Georgie#1

This may have been part the first wave of newcomers to NC

Georgie#1 - George Vanderbilt
Bobby - Robert Fricke - Railroad Baron. His house and 16 acre property are now up for sale in Alpine NJ for "only" $59,000,000!
Freddy - Frederick Law Olmsted - Designed Central Park
House - Biltmore with 125,000 acres
Result - "Priceless"

See everyone, not all of the New Yorkers have moved down here in the last 20 years, but the new ones don't appear to be on as much of a buying spree!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docMI View Post
yes with the weather comes in lots of out door activities. i was just presented with some golf stuff. at least i need to pick up this game. until now it is limited to driving ranges only.
You are in for a pleasant surprise, then . . . even the public courses are really good here.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Ani - This title would seem to sound like a common title for a thread here.
The story as follows:

I'm a guy who would like to purchase a few acres outside of town to build a new house. My mother and father want me to stay in NY, and my brothers and sisters are urging me to build a home in Rhode Island. My buddy Bobby suggests building something in NJ, but land is expensive there and I can't find a property I like. My friend Freddy can come down to help with some landscaping. I'll probably be working from home a lot. My wife is a sahm. Is this doable?
Georgie#1

This may have been part the first wave of newcomers to NC

Georgie#1 - George Vanderbilt
Bobby - Robert Fricke - Railroad Baron. His house and 16 acre property are now up for sale in Alpine NJ for "only" $59,000,000!
Freddy - Frederick Law Olmsted - Designed Central Park
House - Biltmore with 125,000 acres
Result - "Priceless"

See everyone, not all of the New Yorkers have moved down here in the last 20 years, but the new ones don't appear to be on as much of a buying spree!
Good points, Em! Well, you know what my parents always said about New Yorkers? "New Yorkers make the best Southerners." I would expand that to add - anyone from the NE . . .

Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Quote:
So what made you decide to come to the Charlotte area?
My wife entered into a partnership with a guy that owned a steel building company. He was based here so we moved here.

Quote:
What were you two biggest reasons for making the decision to move to NC, and specifically, to the Charlotte metro region?
See answer above.

Quote:
Did you do a lot of research about the region b/f you came - or just took a deep breath, loaded up the household and made the leap?
We looked at Charlotte extensively before we moved. I came down a couple times & poked around South Charlotte as well.

Quote:
And - where did you move from?
Pittsburgh, PA

Old 02-22-2008, 10:38 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,552,153 times
(1) Employment

(2) Wanted to get out of Raleigh!

Raleigh is OK but after living in Atlanta & Washington DC & New York...it didn't cut it!

Last edited by the 7 oh 4; 02-22-2008 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM

457 posts, read 1,377,204 times
I moved here from the Jersey Shore for the following reasons:

1: Son and daughter settled in Charlotte after graduating UNCG
2: Fortunately, my job allows me to live just about anywhere, as long as not to far from
airport.
3: The Phenomenal weather here
4: And one unfortunate reason, my long time girlfriend passed away last July, long battle
with breast cancer
5:And lastly, all of you nice people down here..

What do I miss: closeness to the beach, bagels, pizza, but the trade-off works...

Old 02-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
(1) Employment

(2) Wanted to get out of Raleigh and go somewhere nicer & larger!

Raleigh is OK but after living in Atlanta & Washington DC & New York...it didn't cut it!
So glad you came here, 7 oh 4. You add so much to this forum.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
My wife entered into a partnership with a guy that owned a steel building company. He was based here so we moved here.

We looked at Charlotte extensively before we moved. I came down a couple times & poked around South Charlotte as well.

Pittsburgh, PA
You seem to have settled in well here . . . are you happy living in S. CLT? If you were to move to another area of CLT, where would it be?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
I moved here from the Jersey Shore for the following reasons:

1: Son and daughter settled in Charlotte after graduating UNCG
2: Fortunately, my job allows me to live just about anywhere, as long as not to far from
airport.
3: The Phenomenal weather here
4: And one unfortunate reason, my long time girlfriend passed away last July, long battle
with breast cancer
5:And lastly, all of you nice people down here..

What do I miss: closeness to the beach, bagels, pizza, but the trade-off works...
That is wonderful you can be close to your family. I hope your move has been a healing experience after losing your companion. Starting over can be an adventure, even when the circumstances that brought us to a particular time and place were unhappy ones.

Wish I could point you to those perfect bagels and pizza . . . but that is so subjective . . . I like Chicago style pizza!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte