Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Yeah, I am 24. I have looked into a few things, but I never get around to it, LOL. I actually decided to look into getting a part time job, figuring it will give me something to do and help with the meeting people (plus more money!). However, I am having a hard time finding someone who will hire someone who only wants to work like 12-18 hours a week.
Part time job would be a solution . . . if I were a guy, I would try to find something at a place like a Bass Pro Shop. Push the fact that you are a teacher - plenty of employers would love to have someone w/ your education to work part time! Don't wait to see who is advertising . . . go check out the businesses you would actually like working at and ask for the manager and see what is possible. You never know til you ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 AM

355 posts, read 992,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Are you here yet, EB??? I get confused whether you have made it down here permanently or not!
FEBRUARY 29 FREE AT LAST! HUNTERSVILLE

Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 48,315 times
We are moving next month, can't wait! We are coming from Cleveland and our reasons are:

1. The weather - its so depressing here
2. Family - most of our family has relocated to both N and S Carolina in the past few years

Like most, I need a third...its nice to be moving somewhere that has a growing economy with lots of young families - another reason why Cleveland is so depressing.

One more month!!!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
FEBRUARY 29 FREE AT LAST! HUNTERSVILLE
Woo Hoo! We are waiting for you, EB!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennmont View Post
We are moving next month, can't wait! We are coming from Cleveland and our reasons are:

1. The weather - its so depressing here
2. Family - most of our family has relocated to both N and S Carolina in the past few years

Like most, I need a third...its nice to be moving somewhere that has a growing economy with lots of young families - another reason why Cleveland is so depressing.

One more month!!!!!
Oh, you will find a thriving community of young parents here. And how wonderful you can be near family . . . the South is based on family . . . you will feel at home in no time. Good luck on having a smooth move to our area . . .

Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,262,367 times
I moved to Charlotte in 1984 from the Maryland suburbs of DC because

1) I was anxious to get out of Maryland and back home to North Carolina.

2) My agency had an office in Charlotte and I was able to transfer.

I grew up in Durham and my family's in the Raleigh-Durham area. I'd never been to Charlotte except to drive through on the highway towards Atlanta, but I've never had any regrets.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,222 times
Quote:
Congratulations on your job and move!

Yes, Charlotte is changing and Yes, it has been a veritable "Yankee Invasion" here to our region. I have been contemplating this . . . wondering about how this growth to our area from the NE is going to impact the culture here . . . and alter the demographics of the metro area. . . and I have come to the conclusion that the "Yankee Invasion" as a cultural phenomena may tip the scale towards the positive side.

Yes, our schools are crowded and our highways and byways are overburdened. But just think what it is doing to our demographics. Such people as you, NJSucks, move into our area. You are doubtless a well-educated professional. You just added to the pool of positive demographics for our area - you just upped the ante on education and income. You just added to our state tax collection system b/c you will surely have a good salary. If you invest in real estate, you will add to our tax base plus become part of a neighborhood . . . so you will affect our culture and your belief and value systems will become part of the defining demographics of whatever block you live in.

I am into preserving the quirky, inimitable characteristics of "the South." I don't want to see those things abandoned or forgotten . . . but at the same time, whatever the phrase "New South" means . . . we are certainly part of it here in Charlotte . . . and with each newcomer, we are further defining what that phrase really means.

As people move here from other areas - for whatever reasons - Charlotte is, indeed, changing. New voices are adding to the discussions about what Charlotte's future is going to be . . . and to me, seems that is a positive thing.

I just don't want to see some of the traditions of the area lost entirely in all the growth. There is a transformation going on . . . and I hope each new transplant will want to be part of that, even tho I am not sure any of us really understand what it all means at this point in time.

My message is: NJSucks, dont make apologies from the Yankee Invasion. Change can be a good thing. There are plenty of us here willing to explore that . . . and see where it takes us.
Thanks for your comments. I'm pretty excited to get down there. One reason I want to go down there is because of the characteristics of the South. I just hope that with everyone moving down there it doesn't change too much. I like how nice everyone is the and the conservative culture, 2 things that NJ is lacking. I also hope that everyone moving there doesn't cause taxes to go up and corruption to increase. Which are 2 thing NJ IS NOT lacking.
Anyway, if you or anyone else has any tips or information I should know, please tell me.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSucks View Post
Thanks for your comments. I'm pretty excited to get down there. One reason I want to go down there is because of the characteristics of the South. I just hope that with everyone moving down there it doesn't change too much. I like how nice everyone is the and the conservative culture, 2 things that NJ is lacking. I also hope that everyone moving there doesn't cause taxes to go up and corruption to increase. Which are 2 thing NJ IS NOT lacking.
Anyway, if you or anyone else has any tips or information I should know, please tell me.
Just let us know if you need information on anything once you get here. I assume you have found an apartment or house? If you need help w/ that, let us know - there are many on this forum who will help give you direction.

Once you get here, do not hesitate to post if you have questions. People here will do all they can to offer suggestions and point you to resources. Welcome to the South! I am sure you will fit right in!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
I moved to Charlotte in 1984 from the Maryland suburbs of DC because

1) I was anxious to get out of Maryland and back home to North Carolina.

2) My agency had an office in Charlotte and I was able to transfer.

I grew up in Durham and my family's in the Raleigh-Durham area. I'd never been to Charlotte except to drive through on the highway towards Atlanta, but I've never had any regrets.
Shoot, NC Dave, you needed to get back HOME!!! So glad you were able to work it out. I bet you have seen a lot of changes in your time back here. Would be interested in finding out your perceptions of Charlotte now as compared to 1984 . . . and what you see as Charlotte's future.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,222 times
Quote:
Just let us know if you need information on anything once you get here. I assume you have found an apartment or house? If you need help w/ that, let us know - there are many on this forum who will help give you direction.

Once you get here, do not hesitate to post if you have questions. People here will do all they can to offer suggestions and point you to resources. Welcome to the South! I am sure you will fit right in!
I found an apartment off I-77 in North Charlotte, I have a friend who lives right near there. Got a short-term lease because I would like to purchase a house soon. Hopefully in that same area. What areas do you recommend to look in for homes? This will be my first home purchse, so I'm not quite sure what I should be doing, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte