Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:44 PM

575 posts, read 1,517,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
Butt in. Please. PLEASE! I would go so far as to say it's your responsibility as a fellow parent. If it were your child, you'd want to know. Please call Monday!
Before you butt in you may want to verify the incident. Are you friends with any of the other childens parents in your sons class? Ask a parent if they were aware of what you heard from your son. Its a good idea to confirm these actions as they are pretty bad before speaking to the childs parents. TRUST BUT VERIFY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 PM

197 posts, read 669,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
Rea View Elem - Union County Last week, my sons teacher made a disabled little girl in his class walk numerous laps around the playground as a punishment for something done in class. My son was very upset by this situation. He felt so bad for this little girl. Does anyone else think this is absolutely awful? I have been thinking about calling the parents to make sure they are aware. Should I butt in or let it go? Opinions?
I would be as tormented as you are. This sounds to me like a Medieval times torture, as a mother I wouldn't doubt to inform the parents of that girl about the situation. I would rather apologize rather than feel guilty for not taking actions.
And I know that I may sound a little paranoic but I think you should ask your son (in a gentle way) about his teacher classroom management skills and what other disciplinary actions she applies to her students.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:17 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,225,537 times
Not to be a total devils avocate, but even we don't have the info you have, so I am not sure we can advise more than looking into it. How old are the children in question, 2nd grade, 6th grade? I love my niece, but I know that her perception is so much different than reality still. And not knowing the girls disabilty, the punishment may have been ok. Just because she could have something wrong, doesn't mean she can get away with things. With that said.... Obviously if such walking caused undue stress or was done in spite or to focus on her disablement, then yes, the teacher should be penalizard appropriatly. I feel bad for teachers these days, they can't seem to do anything without so much scrutiny. One thing I would NOT do as someone suggested is call the Charlotte Observer. Why is this a public matter? I would call the parents and explain that something may have happened that they should look into. I would not drop it, but let them follow up. Thats my 2 cents.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 PM

111 posts, read 165,788 times
He is in 3rd grade. However, I trust his judgement more than I would trust my 6th graders any day of the week. He is very in tune to feelings of others, which is why I have been so upset about this situation. My son just told me this little girl had surgery on her legs last month and she has been wearing casts.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 PM

Update: Someone who knows this little girl PMed me. They feel the parents would definately want to know. I feel a little better now, knowing the parents would be accepting of me sticking my nose into their business.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:50 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,502,491 times
Another teacher here and agreeing completely.

I think it is actually poor judgment on your part NOT to make sure you know what actually happened before doing anything drastic like calling a newspaper. You can even call the teacher yourself.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by howds View Post
MAke sure you get the facts; as a teacher, I know things can be totally exaggerated, misinterpreted, or just completely wrong. I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine that story being true. If it is, the teacher should be fired!! But make sure of the facts before proceding. Let us know the outcome.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:55 PM

I never planned on calling the paper. I am not about to call the teacher. My son could pay the price for that. I will let her parents know what my son said, if they want to investigate further I am sure they will do so.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,502,491 times
I am sorry, the paper idea was someone else's. I made it sound like it was yours. Sorry about that.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
I never planned on calling the paper. I am not about to call the teacher. My son could pay the price for that. I will let her parents know what my son said, if they want to investigate further I am sure they will do so.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:44 AM

509 posts, read 1,804,797 times
I totally agree with calling the girl's parents and letting them know what you heard from your son. It is then up to them to "Get the facts." Who knows, she may have already told them what happened and the parents may already be on top of it, but you will feel better knowing.

You should not be in the position of investigating this to "get the facts." I think it's completely fair to alert the parents and let them take it from there.

GT

Old 02-23-2008, 08:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,327,508 times
I think you (OP) should contact the teacher & parent of the child for clarification of the situation before spreading this on an online forum and calling the paper.

FWIW my wife is a teacher and we have two daughters (5K & 1st grade).
We know that many times their perceptions run contrary to reality.

Seek the truth firsthand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte