Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 11:30 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher4life View Post
I believe that's beginning tonight. McKibben was very clear about the need to move the lines back toward the east, to bring the numbers back up in the west.
I haven't had an opportunity to listen to it. Thanks!

The numbers on the enrollment forecasts don't seem to indicate that after a quick look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:36 AM

161 posts, read 194,730 times
Parkwood, Piedmont, and Sun valley elementary schools and middle schools are in the red. All the schools you redistricted them to. Look again.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 AM

Oh I mean "they" 😉

Old 07-26-2017, 06:19 PM

114 posts, read 130,513 times
We are so lucky to have a totally benevolent Board that has no ulterior motives!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:57 PM

549 posts, read 680,198 times
Western Union needs some updates but the BOE needs to put the brakes on unnecessary classroom additions when kids are going to have to be bused from the Monroe area and a program for kids with behavioral issues has to be placed there to justify the additions.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 PM

And they need to use split feeders.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 PM

631 posts, read 892,384 times
Just watched most of tonight's meeting. Glad they have better data now with the capacities. Sounds like it's a much-improved methodology than in the past.

Couldn't make out all the details of the map options that McKibbon put together, but some of the comments from the advisory board were interesting at the very end. Paraphrasing: "They still have some neighborhoods that are going to Parkwood and not the other 3 closer schools." "Up north it still has kids going to Piedmont."

McKibbon's map guru also pointed out in one of the map options that either Indian Trail elem OR Wesley Chapel elem could go to Weddington instead of Sun Valley depending on how they flipped some boundaries. I bet that was sacrilege in some WC circles.

Might have to see who the advisory board members are meeting for lunches and coffees over the next few months.

Gonna need some popcorn!

Old 07-27-2017, 08:02 AM

Are the maps online? I can't find the link.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post

McKibbon's map guru also pointed out in one of the map options that either Indian Trail elem OR Wesley Chapel elem could go to Weddington instead of Sun Valley depending on how they flipped some boundaries. I bet that was sacrilege in some WC circles.
I can't imagine that Indian Trail would go to Weddington, Wesley Chapel came from Weddington and is right down the street. Moving Indian Trail doesn't seem to fit the bussing efficiency narrative. That doesn't make any sense. It will be sad to see them leave the Sun Valley cluster because there are a lot of nice families that came and have really helped our schools. But we are bursting at the seams and are in desperate need of relief. I hope this will also bring back families that we lost in the last redistricting. This is a mess and I feel for these people being moved around again. It's easy to cast stones and judgement at these folks when we have the luxury of not going through this over and over and over again. Judge a man when you've walked in his shoes. Hopefully this will fix the mess that was created by the last board and it will carry these kids through graduation.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher4life View Post
Are the maps online? I can't find the link.
If you go into the July 26, 2017 folder on the Advisory Committee website, you can see maps of the options presented last night within the pdf called "UCPS Committee Meeting 2_170726". https://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/Page/6320
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte