Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:18 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,081,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm10269123 View Post
Where is huntersville and wd that be a place we may have interest in? Sre there many independent auto shops in addition to dealerships?
Huntersville is not going to be in your budget. Many of these towns (including Concord) you are asking about you need closer to $200,000 for a house. The real estate here is on an upswing...that is why many posters are suggesting you look to smaller towns or smaller cities.

I was going to suggest the Greensboro area.

You can afford Statesville, although I don't really recommend living there. It might work for you though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 PM

486 posts, read 465,974 times
Whats the issue w statesville? Ill take any and all input as i cannit afford to keep going back and forth for years. My plan is one more trip there next year and be relocated there by nov of 2018. Greensboro i keep hearing negatives about it

Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Whats the issue w statesville? Ill take any and all input as i cannit afford to keep going back and forth for years. My plan is one more trip there next year and be relocated there by nov of 2018. Greensboro i keep hearing negatives about it
Crime, shopping is not that good, poor schools (probably won't affect you), kind of an insular town (not super welcoming to outsiders).

Keep in mind that barring a huge down turn in the market, or rising interest rates keeping prices down, all of these houses will be more expensive in a year.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:43 PM

Ok. Well keep bringing me some ideas. U all know what my wants are. Thank you all!

Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Ok. Well keep bringing me some ideas. U all know what my wants are. Thank you all!
Does it have to be North Carolina? Parts of South Carolina are just as nice and A LOT more affordable.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Well o do like NC, so does my husband. We wanted NC because its not as far south. Msybe somewhere near the border im not sure?

Old 04-20-2017, 05:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,716,930 times
Quote:
Well o do like NC, so does my husband. We wanted NC because its not as far south. Msybe somewhere near the border im not sure?
You like Hickory & Morganton. Hickory has more jobs & more transplants, by far. There is Lenoir Rhyne University & Frye hospital. There are car dealers there.

If you go to the south a bit, Shelby has car dealers & there are more dealerships in Gastonia. If you cross the boarder into South Carolina, you'd be looking at Gaffney. It's smallish but I've heard the same thing, repeatedly, from natives who have extended family down there, that it's very insulare.

Any of these places are likely to get your husband a job. I honestly think that Hickory is your best bet. Only you can make the decision. Do lots of searches on Indeed. I don't normally bring up Shelby, but it might work for you. There's a community college, Cleveland Regional hospital, & a private religious college, Gardner Webb, is in nearby Boiling Springs. a lot of retail is on US 74 bypass, Dixon Rd. It can be a mess at times, but there's a nice downtown. Just as you'd have to go to Hickory for some shopping from Morganton, you'd have to go to Hickory or Gastonia for some shopping from Shelby. There's also some shopping in Gaffney.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:30 PM

Ty southbound. Ill look into it. I just want it over with soon. All this research is exhausting, nkt to mention the cost of traveling to find the right place!

Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM

869 posts, read 1,789,860 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a place you may not have even thought of or heard of, not in NC, but probably fits a lot of your criteria. Cookeville, TN. We moved to Charlotte from there 6 months ago and lived there 7 years. Housing is on your price range, traffic is not horrendous, right on the edge of the Cumberland Plateau and outdoor activities galore. Consistently rated as one of the least expensive places to live in the US. And, after visiting Hickory, I see many similarities between those 2 cities. About an hour east of Nashville, Cookeville has it's own forum on City-Data with some very helpful posters.

Not meant to discourage you from NC or SC, we love Charlotte, and I'm very glad we moved here. But Cookeville may be a very good fit for you. Check it out.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM

We did consider TN at one point, but then changed our mind. Im sure its nice, but i really like NC and want to stay w that plan, god willing. Ty for the input though. Appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte