Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 04:59 PM

10 posts, read 9,137 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I've been reading these boards and trying to gather some information about the best subdivisions for our family. We have two elementary aged kids. The forum has been a great resource and in some ways I feel like our next steps are to come and see for ourselves how we feel.

We are looking in the $400-600 range and like the areas of Marvin/Weddington/Waxhaw (Cutherbertson). I am following the redistricting and trying to make a well informed decision about that, too. My husband would be working in Uptown.

My question is, what neighborhoods are probably better for "introverts"? By that I mean, we like people and like to hang out, but maybe not all the time. An active community that has some activities that are planned and maybe more that are just organic would be nice. We are "older" parents than most people who have kids our age, and we aren't into big "frat-like" parties. We like smaller groups who still like to have fun, but aren't into keeping up with the Joneses in any way, shape or form.

Are there communities that don't have swim teams, yet are very active at their pools? For instance, where we live now, if kids are not on the swim team, they (and their families) are "nobody". It's quite a "cult" ure here (East Bay Area, SF, CA). If we could find a "swim team lite", that would be doable, but for us a swim team that swallows up all of our free time is a no-go. (Sorry for anyone who LOVES it, many of our friends do, too)

Am I missing some opportunities in Wesley Chapel? Is that area likely to be redistricted?

Here are some of the communities/neighborhoods I've looked at and found interesting, depending on the "feel". I would welcome and love ANY feedback, even if it's through a DM because I know that no one wants to be insulting to anyone else's neighborhood. I also realize that I'm comparing this area to that area, and they are probably completely different, but I certainly don't want to move across the country only to be in a neighborhood like the one I'm trying to leave.

Weddington Chase
Champion Forest
Weddington Trace
Marvin Creek
Lake Forest Preserve
Hollister
Chimneys of Marvin (out of price range ?)
The Reserve
Stonegate
Inverness at Providence
Somerset
Cavaillon

Thanks so much to anyone who will help me get a clearer picture and narrow my list! It's so long, we'll have to spend weeks there checking things out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:43 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,716,977 times
Any neighborhood is going to be what you and the neighbors make of it. If you close the garage and head inside, any neighborhood can be as introverted and peaceful as you like. If you are out meeting people, doing walks, volunteering, etc... you'll meet people.

Your husband will probably have plenty of introvert time in the car driving 1.5 hours alone each day to Uptown and need a nice whiskey to wind down after battling 40 miles of traffic roundtrip.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:58 AM

751 posts, read 936,805 times
Yes...I hope you're aware of the traffic that he'll encounter on his commute. The area down there is more school based than neighborhood based. Meaning there's no one neighborhood too large to swallow up a whole school. I don't think you'll have issues with "swim team or bust" type areas, but we did find that area a bit too cliquey for us and ended up moving up into Meck County.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:25 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,361,008 times
Don't Marvin and Weddington have minimum 1 acre lot sizes or something? I've found that the bigger the lot size, the less neighbors talk to each other.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:34 PM

69 posts, read 54,991 times
Reminds me of when I first moved to Ohio. I was asked if I were into football. I said no and I think that was a pivotal moment. haha Not that I care. Then there was the time when Obama was going for re-election and my son liked him. So, I encouraged him to support his candidate like so many people were doing at the time. "Get out and vote!" Well, we put up an Obama sign and who knows how people felt about that! haha Again, not that I care. Then there was the issue with our indoor/outdoor cats. Not that actually harm anyone. THAT I care about and I have a plan to avoid that problem in the future.

But there are some nice people around here. When it comes to insider/outsider people, I'm content being WAY outside as long as they stay away from me. heh If someone shares my interests or concerns or could use some help, I'm open to them. Where they live makes no difference to me.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:42 AM

10 posts, read 9,137 times
Default Comments on these areas?

From my research, it looks like Weddington Chase is VERY active with a lot of events.
Can anyone comment on the other subdivisions listed? Are there as many events going on? Swim teams? Book Clubs? Parties? Trying to get a "feel" for what life may be like in some of these places! Thanks in advance for any info that will give me a better sense of the communities🙂

Old 08-10-2017, 10:38 AM

149 posts, read 165,865 times
See, this is why I love my four acres in the Parkwood cluster. Heck, in the 15 years I've been here I've only spoken to one of my nextdoor neighbors twice! It's like a little slice of heaven. And no, my pool doesn't have a swim team unless I yell "last one in brings the drinks" at my husband.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,669,678 times
If you don't want to participate.. then don't.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,173,668 times
I think that you will be fine in any of those neighborhoods. We live in Hunter Oaks which has a fairly active social calendar. We participate when we want. If you don't participate that is fine too. People aren't in your face about participating or not.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:49 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,669,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I think that you will be fine in any of those neighborhoods. We live in Hunter Oaks which has a fairly active social calendar. We participate when we want. If you don't participate that is fine too. People aren't in your face about participating or not.
I keep getting visions of TV shows where soccer moms knock on your door and refuse to leave until you open it. Is that real or just on TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte