Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM

391 posts, read 402,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
There's a lot going on across the Nation, with politicians wanting to remove sites and statues that remember those who died (or fought) during the Civil War.

I don't understand the schism, as - and maybe it's naivety on my part - but I tend to think that most folks are good, and that most misunderstandings are owed to a lack of communication between people.

I would not want to see any civil unrest here, and I think that there are a handful of people - on any and all sides - who like to stir the pot (the worst of which being news outlets who want to bolster ratings).

I have been here five years, yet am unaware of any historical markers, etc. Are there any?
There is a statue in Cornelius representing local Confederates from the war. It is in front of the Methodist church. It is a nice statue, but about a year ago, it was defaced when morons thought that the south should erase their history. This was disgraceful. If the world would destroy statues of those that did unacceptable things, there would be no reason to visit Rome, Athens, or any of the great cities of the world. People need to learn history, accept it, and never let it fade away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 04:36 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
There aren't many comparatively because our beloved governor Zebulon Baird Vance managed our state well during that conflict and during Reconstruction and the Union Army did not make NC a primary battle ground. Gen Joe Johnson did fight some of the last maneuver battles in the western and piedmont and I think the last battle was a massacre at Shelton Laurel in Madison County but not sure.

So basically there are few Civil War battle sites, but there are many Confederate memorial sites to those who died. NC and TN by agreement were the last states to leave the union but NC provided the most men in the Confederacy to fight and die. Picketts charge at Gettysburg was filled with NC folks for example.

There are theories as to why Lincoln did not require NC as a battle ground as it was required of our sister state (SC) after the march to the sea. One is that it was PsyOps to burn SC and its capital but not the NC capital, pitting one state against the other. One theory was that the war was won, the march to the sea had worked and SC was appropriately punished back to the stone age so even Sherman had no desire to destroy a state that didn't need to be. Some said that once SC was destroyed the Union wanted a quick reunion with GEN Grant to end to whole thing. Some say Pres Lincoln wanted to start the reconciliation. Some even say that since President Lincoln's parents were from NC, he had an emotional bond to family there and was a little soft on them. A now debunked rumor was that Lincoln had been born in NC himself and chose not to destroy his home state.

So you might find a few markers for events in pass through there isn't much military wise. There are group memorials to those who died and were never brought home and if somebody were to treat those memorials badly I would be hurt as I would be if any cemetery memorials were disturbed. It just isn't right for any color, religion, or whatever.

If you want military sites, we do have several Revolutionary War sites...
I stand corrected:

Battle of Bentonville
The Battle of Bentonville (March 19–21, 1865) was fought in Bentonville, North Carolina, near the town of Four Oaks, as part of the Carolinas Campaign of the American Civil War. It was the last battle between the armies of Union Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman and Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
NC Historic Sites

Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM

391 posts, read 402,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakewaffle View Post
I think it's important to remember history but to also remember it accurately and empathetically.

The confederacy fought against the human rights of African American citizens. They fought against their humanity. Yes there were other aspects, but keep that in mind when understanding why some people have zero love for relics of that period.

It's like a Jewish person not wanting to see statues of Nazi leaders... of course those were all torn down years ago in Germany, and the people were decent enough to not question why it was necessary.
The south really has suffered the results of the northeastern industry of slavery. All slave trade was orchestrated from New England. There was no issue with slavery as long as the north needed cotton and sugar products. When the north upgraded slaver to child labor from immigrants, they decided that slavery wasn't required any longer and that the south should cease being business partners with France and England. In regards to Jews that have suffered, Aaron Lopez, a Jewish merchant from Newport, Rhode Island was the wealthiest merchant in the state. He was said to be the leading participant in the "Black Holocaust." He owned a fleet of 30 ships used in the slave trade. The north seems to have been successfully able to pass the buck on the south and come out smelling like a rose. Obviously, you are no historian. I don't know who has "zero love" for relics of that period. I guess that would be you.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:29 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I wouldn't object to a memorial to all the folks who died and suffered in slavery and during the Civil War on both sides, and I'd like to think most people would feel the same way. It was a terrible time and I think we can acknowledge that history without nostalgia.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
There are numerous historical markers of Civil War events throughout the region, but a historical event marker is much different than a monument.
After digesting what you wrote, I now see, and mark, the distinction between the two.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
There is a statue in Cornelius representing local Confederates from the war. It is in front of the Methodist church. It is a nice statue, but about a year ago, it was defaced when morons thought that the south should erase their history. This was disgraceful. If the world would destroy statues of those that did unacceptable things, there would be no reason to visit Rome, Athens, or any of the great cities of the world. People need to learn history, accept it, and never let it fade away.
I agree 100%.

The preservation of history, or examining all aspects of past events, doesn't mean that a person agrees with everything that took place.

If we eradicate history, we are doomed to repeat it.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM

607 posts, read 554,039 times
This movement to tear down historical artifacts is insane.

Whether it's something that offends you or not, it's part of our history...and by "our" I mean American history.

Are we going to start burning books next?

Likely all these incidents are funded by the regressive left in attempts to show that:

All Trump voters = Nazis

For the DNC, I guess you gotta go to some lengths to win back appeal after you just put forward, literally the worst major-party presidential candidate in American history.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
A LOT of the Civil War stuff belongs in museums, IMO, just like the signs for the "colored" water fountains and the like. I think it's important to remember it, but not to glorify it.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
The south really has suffered the results of the northeastern industry of slavery. All slave trade was orchestrated from New England. There was no issue with slavery as long as the north needed cotton and sugar products. When the north upgraded slaver to child labor from immigrants, they decided that slavery wasn't required any longer and that the south should cease being business partners with France and England. In regards to Jews that have suffered, Aaron Lopez, a Jewish merchant from Newport, Rhode Island was the wealthiest merchant in the state. He was said to be the leading participant in the "Black Holocaust." He owned a fleet of 30 ships used in the slave trade. The north seems to have been successfully able to pass the buck on the south and come out smelling like a rose. Obviously, you are no historian. I don't know who has "zero love" for relics of that period. I guess that would be you.
Admittedly, between yourself and other posters, I am outclassed on this thread. I am not as historically literate as I would (or should) like to be.

Nevertheless, something that makes absolutely no sense is this:

The oft repeated mantra says that the Confederacy was motivated by the economic interests of owning slaves. Meanwhile, the vast majority of Southerners were farmers, and farmers were of a peasant class.

Peasants can't afford to buy or house slaves, so why then, did they participate in the Civil War?

The statutes and memorials are a needful reminder that war is a bloody enterprise, that should be avoided at all costs.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:00 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
There aren't many comparatively because our beloved governor Zebulon Baird Vance managed our state well during that conflict and during Reconstruction and the Union Army did not make NC a primary battle ground. Gen Joe Johnson did fight some of the last maneuver battles in the western and piedmont and I think the last battle was a massacre at Shelton Laurel in Madison County but not sure.

So basically there are few Civil War battle sites, but there are many Confederate memorial sites to those who died. NC and TN by agreement were the last states to leave the union but NC provided the most men in the Confederacy to fight and die. Picketts charge at Gettysburg was filled with NC folks for example.

There are theories as to why Lincoln did not require NC as a battle ground as it was required of our sister state (SC) after the march to the sea. One is that it was PsyOps to burn SC and its capital but not the NC capital, pitting one state against the other. One theory was that the war was won, the march to the sea had worked and SC was appropriately punished back to the stone age so even Sherman had no desire to destroy a state that didn't need to be. Some said that once SC was destroyed the Union wanted a quick reunion with GEN Grant to end to whole thing. Some say Pres Lincoln wanted to start the reconciliation. Some even say that since President Lincoln's parents were from NC, he had an emotional bond to family there and was a little soft on them. A now debunked rumor was that Lincoln had been born in NC himself and chose not to destroy his home state.

So you might find a few markers for events in pass through there isn't much military wise. There are group memorials to those who died and were never brought home and if somebody were to treat those memorials badly I would be hurt as I would be if any cemetery memorials were disturbed. It just isn't right for any color, religion, or whatever.

If you want military sites, we do have several Revolutionary War sites...

Excellent post!

Old 08-14-2017, 06:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Peasants can't afford to buy or house slaves, so why then, did they participate in the Civil War?
Sometimes they were conscripted and forced to. Sometimes they did it to defend their home state. And sometimes they were Unionists in the South and didn't join the CSA. Read that link southbound_295 posted about the Shelton Laurel Massacre. Things are a little more complex than they seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte