Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:47 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,394,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc48 View Post
I disagree with the commenter about comparative summer dewpoints to Tampa. I spent one summer in Bradenton and every day, every single morning to go out the door was to be wrapped in a wet wool cloth. Dew point in the mid to high 70's even over 80 occasionally which is out of my understanding. Outdoor activities were a struggle because of the humidity. More so than Charlotte, unquestionably.
Average dew point in Charlotte in the summer is upper 60's, Tampa is low to mid 70's. So yeah, some difference, not a whole lot. Charlotte is still pretty miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:21 AM

751 posts, read 936,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Average dew point in Charlotte in the summer is upper 60's, Tampa is low to mid 70's. So yeah, some difference, not a whole lot. Charlotte is still pretty miserable.
I don't know if I'd say Charlotte is "miserable". For about 8-12 weeks, it's hot. Maybe ~1/4 of the days in those 8-12 weeks are "miserable"...the other 3/4 are more along the lines of "uncomfortable if you're standing outside for a long time, but tolerable if you're on a screened porch with a ceiling fan over your head".

Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 AM

15 posts, read 15,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I agree with BC1960. Our summer is June - August. Sometimes it runs a little longer, other times it runs a little shorter. This summer's heat waves have been relatively short for example and we are already seeing daily highs in the low 80's and high 70's with less humidity.

Unlike Florida, there WILL be a winter. It isn't a Boston or Ohio winter, but compared to Florida it will be cold. Overnight lows some nights in January and February can be 15-25 degrees. The average low in January is 30 degrees and the daily high will average 48-55 degrees. But by March spring is arriving and you can get daily highs of 60-68 degrees and overnight lows of 40. Most of our trees are deciduous in this area and will lose their leaves in the fall.
Thanks CLT4! That's all great to know. I was born on Long Island and lived there until I was 12. My wife was born in Canada and lived there until she was 12. We vacation to the north (usually Canada) right after Christmas for about 10 days every year, specifically because we enjoy colder weather. We also want the kids (3 and 7) to experience snow, and boy do they love it!

Now, having said that, I don't want to live in THAT MUCH SNOW, and the way you describe Charlotte's Winter sounds fantastic to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
June - August will be just about as uncomfortable in Charlotte as in Tampa, i.e., similar dew points. The difference will be in April, May, September and October. Those months will, for the most part, be much more comfortable in Charlotte.
This is what we're looking for, absolutely. Summer should be ~3 months. What we get in Florida just isn't.... natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Plus...Panthers > Bucs :-)
I absolutely agree!

I'm more of a College Football fan (though Hockey > Football for my family), over the NFL, but still love the NFL. As for the Bucs, I've got no love for them. My NFL team is still the Giants. I've never had a problem with Carolina, and cheered for them against Denver 2 seasons ago. Also, I loved Steve Smith's TD celebrations. Not going to lie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte