Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:57 AM

9 posts, read 5,653 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to Matthews or Cornelius, North Carolina from nj. Of course ir a big change for the kids and it worries me they won't like the change. I'm heading this weekend there, this is the first time they will visit and I want them to fall in love with NC. Any suggestion for activities, places to visit etc with the kids. They are 13,10,5 !!

I want them to love this state as much as I love it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 01:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,975,307 times
I'd worry more about the education system here than them failing in love with it.. cause it's pretty subpar. We opted homeschooling.. also their views on things (as a Yankee) may not be as welcomed as you may hope here. As I'm finding out myself. A lot of conservative Jesus freaks. I had several friends showing pics of teachers/ students praying around the school flag on the first day of school. Imo not cool at all.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:35 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,402,909 times
Attractions depends on their interests. Some possibilities are US Whitewater Center, Freedom Park, Discovery Place, a Knights game if they are still playing this weekend, Panthers stadium, the light rail, Southpark Mall, Carowinds, Defy Gravity.

Both Matthews and Cornelius have very good schools btw.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,971,968 times
I'm a Yankee and have lived down here for 11 years now. My kids attend a great school and I wouldn't move anywhere else in the US unless I had too.

This weather will be rainy on Friday and Saturday. You could try Discovery Museum in Charlotte or Defy Gravity (which is an indoor trampoline place) if it's rainy. There's also Great Wolf Lodge but it's probably to late to get a room. It's an indoor water park where you have to stay over night. Sunday is supposed to be nicer so there's Carowinds, White Water Center, Knights game just depending on what they like to do.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:11 PM

689 posts, read 1,659,298 times
Not all schools are subpar. There are some great schools in the area and Cornelius and Matthews both are great choices. I think your kids will love it...especially when they are wearing shorts until Thanksgiving. I am not saying it will be quite that warm, I just know how kids are.

Enjoy your weekend in the Queen City!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,741,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaof6 View Post
I'm planning to move to Matthews or Cornelius, North Carolina from nj. Of course ir a big change for the kids and it worries me they won't like the change. I'm heading this weekend there, this is the first time they will visit and I want them to fall in love with NC. Any suggestion for activities, places to visit etc with the kids. They are 13,10,5 !!

With the age span, the only place that I can think of that they'd all like would be Carowinds. It's supposed to rain, so it's not the greatest choice this time. What do they like to do? That would be a good starting point.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:27 PM

751 posts, read 937,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'd worry more about the education system here than them failing in love with it.. cause it's pretty subpar. We opted homeschooling.. also their views on things (as a Yankee) may not be as welcomed as you may hope here. As I'm finding out myself. A lot of conservative Jesus freaks. I had several friends showing pics of teachers/ students praying around the school flag on the first day of school. Imo not cool at all.
We moved down from PA about 4 years ago and I don't agree with the above response.

Schools: We've had no issues with the schools. There are good and bad areas in the county, but from a South Charlotte/Matthews perspective (which I can speak to...don't know about Cornelius) we haven't had any issues with the schools.

Religion: This was a bit of a culture shock for us, though I wouldn't say there's a bunch of "conservative Jesus freaks" around. Whereas in the Northeast it felt like maybe 20-30% of people went to church and never mentioned it to others, here it's the opposite. Maybe 20-30% of people don't go to church and it does come up in conversation. Not that people try to convert you...moreso along the lines of: "Our kids can come over and play after church on Sunday morning". Whereas in the northeast people would just say: "Our kids can come over to play around noon".

Locations: Matthews & Cornelius are very far apart. Where will your job(s) be located? I wouldn't recommend commuting from one location to the other...that'd be over an hour commute each way.

Things to do this weekend:
- If the weather holds out, there'll be a festival in downtown Matthews all weekend ("Matthews Alive")...definitely try and attend it to get a feel for the people. There's food trucks, games, rides, craft booths, entertainment, etc. One of the better festivals in the area.
- In terms of culture, it does feel like there's less history here than in the Northeast so you need to look for culture a bit deeper.
- Science museum uptown (Discovery Place) is really good for ages ~12 and younger.
- Levine Museum of the New South is a good museum with Charlotte/NC history for ages ~7 and up.
- There's Adventure Landing with 3 good mini-golf courses down in Pineville.
- Sports Connection in Ballantyne is a good indoor place with bouncy-houses, laser tag, bowling, video games, etc.
- You can take a tour of the NASCAR track where they take you around the track at 85+ mph in a 15 passenger van.
- Don't bother with the aquarium in the Concord mall...too small to waste your time/$$
- Crowder's mountain is a great hike if the weather holds out...take the Backside trail up and the Tower trail down.
- Whitewater center is great, but it's a full day event and you need to ensure your 5 year old is brave enough to tackle the zip lines.
- Freedom Park just south of uptown is a great park to just walk through. Large pond to walk around, nice playground to expend some energy and a Panther themed NFL-Play obstacle course.
- Carolina Place Mall/Southpark Mall/Concord Mall are always good rainy day diversions.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:39 PM

547 posts, read 776,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaof6 View Post

Fake.

Mamaof6 has 3 kids (13,10,5) in this thread and 5 in another (quote "5 kids! 2 teens, two one year old and one in elementary school..") posted 2 months ago.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:26 PM

751 posts, read 937,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Fake.

Mamaof6 has 3 kids (13,10,5) in this thread and 5 in another (quote "5 kids! 2 teens, two one year old and one in elementary school..") posted 2 months ago.
Ever think maybe they're leaving the 1-year olds at home?...or that the one-year olds don't need to be entertained and can just tag along wherever they go?

Old 08-30-2017, 05:35 PM

547 posts, read 776,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Ever think maybe they're leaving the 1-year olds at home?...or that the one-year olds don't need to be entertained and can just tag along wherever they go?
What happened to the other teen and where did the 5 yr old come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte