Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 07:18 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Huh? You still need a car in most parts of Philly, especially in the burbs. Ya'll act as though living out in these quaint "urban" outpost in the close-in burbs are functional without a car.
Actually you can get by just fine in Philly proper without a car and in several suburbs.

Quote:
I never stated anything about a distaste for urban or historic because I have lived in both environs...it's grossly overrated.
You clearly have a preference for post-war suburban areas largely built around the automobile and routinely dismiss or minimize the advantages of living in more walkable, urban areas.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:26 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually you can get by just fine in Philly proper without a car and in several suburbs.

You clearly have a preference for post-war suburban areas largely built around the automobile and routinely dismiss or minimize the advantages of living in more walkable, urban areas.
Not dismissing anything or it being a matter of preference since I've lived and worked in large urban cities - in the city proper/inner city neighborhoods and the burbs. There are numerous factors that come into play with reference to "advantages", an extremely subjective matter. And yes, you will need a car in most parts of Philly and suburbs for convenience.

You can get by in most mid-to-large size cities without a car, especially in center city areas and cetain hoods, but it won't be as convenient at times.

Man, you gonna need a car in the burbs....let's not go down this rat hole.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Not dismissing anything or it being a matter of preference since I've lived and worked in large urban cities - in the city proper/inner city neighborhoods and the burbs. There are numerous factors that come into play with reference to "advantages", an extremely subjective matter. And yes, you will need a car in most parts of Philly and suburbs for convenience.

You can get by in most mid-to-large size cities without a car, especially in center city areas and cetain hoods, but it won't be as convenient at times.
The level of convenience depends on how extensive the transit networks are and how frequently they run. In a city like Philly which has one of the most extensive transit networks in the country, people don't simply "get by" without a car but they do just fine.

Quote:
Man, you gonna need a car in the burbs....let's not go down this rat hole.
In several 'burbs in Philly, public transportation is quite adequate and an automobile isn't required. Break out SEPTA and NJ Transit maps and schedules and this will become quite obvious.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:47 PM

547 posts, read 773,930 times
Not having to have a car is overrated.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:17 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Not having to have a car is overrated.
Not for me. I find it the quintessential characteristic of the type of place I seek to live.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
The level of convenience depends on how extensive the transit networks are and how frequently they run. In a city like Philly which has one of the most extensive transit networks in the country, people don't simply "get by" without a car but they do just fine.

In several 'burbs in Philly, public transportation is quite adequate and an automobile isn't required. Break out SEPTA and NJ Transit maps and schedules and this will become quite obvious.
Don't forget PATCO.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:

I lived without a car for 6 months in DC city, a block or so from the Capitol South metro stop. It wasn't convenient to do a lot of things. Shopping and eating in the city is a bit more expensive versus the burbs for one thing. Walking and hauling groceries, laundry, etc....not convenient. You seem fixated on maps that don't tell the entire story no matter how extensive the network. I have lived in Northern VA without a car for 3 months, near the Vienna/Fairfax stop, not convenient. They have a robust bus schedule with an extensive network throughout DC to metro stops, etc. Living without a car was hassle at times, many times and why I eventually bit the bullet and purchased one.....anything can cause a disruption in public transportation service, been there done that.

I don't need a map since I'm speaking from experience. Can you live in the burbs of Philly without a car? Sure, but I guarantee you'll more often than not wish you had one for unlimited access, by choice. And even living in many parts of urban cities without a car is a hassle. I can get by in parts of Charlotte "just fine" without a car, some people do. However, the notion that an extensive network of public transportation makes it any easier to do many things without a car is false. It's a trade off and in many respects a lifestyle choice, similar to living in the woods without electricity or electronic technology....you can do it "just fine" but for many people it would be a huge inconvenience.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:51 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Huh? You still need a car in most parts of Philly, especially in the burbs. Ya'll act as though living out in these quaint "urban" outpost in the close-in burbs are functional without a car.

I never stated anything about a distaste for urban or historic because I have lived in both environs...it's grossly overrated.
no you don't.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I lived without a car for 6 months in DC city, a block or so from the Capitol South metro stop. It wasn't convenient to do a lot of things. Shopping and eating in the city is a bit more expensive versus the burbs for one thing. Walking and hauling groceries, laundry, etc....not convenient. You seem fixated on maps that don't tell the entire story no matter how extensive the network. I have lived in Northern VA without a car for 3 months, near the Vienna/Fairfax stop, not convenient. They have a robust bus schedule with an extensive network throughout DC to metro stops, etc. Living without a car was hassle at times, many times and why I eventually bit the bullet and purchased one.....anything can cause a disruption in public transportation service, been there done that.
What I gather is that even without a car, you were still essentially living a more car-dependent lifestyle. For people who make the necessary adjustments that urban life requires, they are just fine without a car; for example, they don't make a big weekly trip to the grocery store and instead buy more frequently in smaller amounts. I'm not "fixated on maps;" I only just mentioned them in the last post to demonstrate that transit coverage in many of the suburbs of a region like Philadelphia is extensive and makes things doable without a car.

Quote:
I don't need a map since I'm speaking from experience. Can you live in the burbs of Philly without a car? Sure, but I guarantee you'll more often than not wish you had one for unlimited access, by choice. And even living in many parts of urban cities without a car is a hassle. I can get by in parts of Charlotte "just fine" without a car, some people do. However, the notion that an extensive network of public transportation makes it any easier to do many things without a car is false. It's a trade off and in many respects a lifestyle choice, similar to living in the woods without electricity or electronic technology....you can do it "just fine" but for many people it would be a huge inconvenience.
You're absolutely right it's a trade-off but if you aren't actually willing to make the trade, it's not going to work for you. There are plenty of people who would rather rely on public transportation where it is extensive and adequate instead of dishing out money for car payments, car insurance, taxes, maintenance, gas, parking, tickets, etc. and they actually come out ahead in doing so. You prioritize convenience so no matter where you choose to live, you're going to have a car; for other people, their priorities differ so not having a car is no big hindrance.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
no you don't.
You don't but as I stated, it's a royal pain for most people. It's just not rationale or prudent in today's environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte