Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 AM

193 posts, read 158,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I think NC has a lot to offer; mountains, the coast, Urban cities and rural areas, good schools and nice people. Why do you think people would get tired of that so quickly?
Oh sure the mountains , coast , decent schools is a plus but how much weight does it hold against other states? As I mentioned I would definitely prefer NC over alabama , virginia , wyoming , etc and im sure NC is better than alot of states. Maybe im just really fatigued from NC been here since 2005
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
Oh sure the mountains , coast , decent schools is a plus but how much weight does it hold against other states? As I mentioned I would definitely prefer NC over alabama , virginia , wyoming , etc and im sure NC is better than alot of states. Maybe im just really fatigued from NC been here since 2005
Maybe you need a vacation. Anywhere we call home gets tiring sometime.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:36 AM

343 posts, read 685,812 times
Default What I believe Happened Wrong in Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey63t View Post
I have lived in Charlotte now for 25 years and have seen a lot of change. It wasn’t a city I visited and said “I want to live here” but rather a good opportunity / promotion with my job that brought me here. Over the 25 years I have been here, there has always been an underlying “nag” of feeling the city lacks an identity and soul and over the past few years that nag has gotten more intense. I tend to feel it is the explosive growth that has occurred over the last several years that is amplifying the root of why I have the nag. As best as I can describe it, it seems Charlotte is sterile, generic and continues to struggle to identify itself. It seems to feel the way to develop an identity is to erase its past. The concept to tear down anything old and build new seems to be the approach it takes to become “something” but what that something is still eludes me. I have seen pictures of the old downtown Charlotte and it is such a shame that those gorgeous old buildings and store fronts are all gone and replaced with glass and marble. Integration of the new with the old is what helps a city maintain its connection with who it was as it evolves. It is a novelty now to find anything from the past. And increasingly I am finding friends who visit or business associates who are in town describe the city as a lot of new that lacks an identity and soul. As I am starting to look at retirement in the next several years, I am evaluating if Charlotte is included in the picture. I find myself more and more entertaining the idea of relocating to a city that seems to know who it is and that I can feel connected with. At this point I feel I am going through the work / life motions in a place where I am feeling more and more disconnected. Just curious if others may be experiencing a similar situation. Thanks!
Charlotte became a Big Suburb instead of a city. The generic cookie cutter housing developments took over and are still spreading like an infection wiping out all identification to what Charlotte could have been. I got out because of this very reason, I was hopping for a different path for Charlotte, I wish I didn't care about it, but I do. I wanted to Love Charlotte and I tried very hard too.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:56 AM

Default Correct, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Just to be clear, Charlotte doesn’t knock down old buildings, developers do.
Yes, get the big developers out, but the City of Charlotte/Mecklenburg County allows it. I blame the Charlotte planing department for the lack of saying "NO" to crap developers.
How many generic Big Box shopping Centers does one city need?

Old 03-01-2018, 05:57 AM

232 posts, read 189,340 times
I don't know why any of you need to defend Charlotte. It is a very beautiful city that is definately coming into it's own. However, it is a place where people of certain age groups from old northern cities tend to compare to the old, gritty environments they come from. They look down on it for being too new, too clean, or too suburban in most parts of it. But I'll take it!! To each their own, I guess.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:10 AM

Default I think they did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It is funny, but a lot of sprawling/booming sunbelt cities receive a slew of negative labeling. At some point, hopefully, Charlotte folks will become insensitive and embrace it. The city should incorporate the no-identity into their "branding and marketing" campaign....have fun with it and it'll diffuse the talk/image much quicker.
I think they did; "Charlotte's Got a Lot!" Got a lotta What? Finish the damn statement, they can't.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:40 AM

193 posts, read 158,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
I think they did; "Charlotte's Got a Lot!" Got a lotta What? Finish the damn statement, they can't.
Thats a key point what does charlotte have alot of ? whats its weight ? keep in mind i do think charlotte one of the top cities in NC , besides RTP

Old 03-02-2018, 11:19 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
^^Man, some of these folks really have a disdain for Charlotte, they lurk the forum like a pack of hyenas waiting to pounce on the next Charlotte "sucks" thread. And it's a full pack of 'em and rather amusing. I think somehow the place got into your "soul" for a place with no soul. It's akin to the Jerry Seinfeld show, a great show about nothing. What makes Charlotte great? uh, nothing, but it's a got a lot of something that makes it great.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I agree Big Aristotle. I am always amazed at the time and energy people spend on hating instead of just moving!

Another thing. I keep hearing complaints about Charlotte tearing down all the old buildings instead of renovating or reviving these properties. These people have obviously never renovated a property in their life. It doesn't make sense to rehab a property if it is cost prohibitive to do so. It also doesn't make financial sense to rehab a four story office building in a highly desirable area that allows high rises, etc. Some people are just plain stupid.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I agree Big Aristotle. I am always amazed at the time and energy people spend on hating instead of just moving!

Another thing. I keep hearing complaints about Charlotte tearing down all the old buildings instead of renovating or reviving these properties. These people have obviously never renovated a property in their life. It doesn't make sense to rehab a property if it is cost prohibitive to do so. It also doesn't make financial sense to rehab a four story office building in a highly desirable area that allows high rises, etc. Some people are just plain stupid.
But the issue is that Charlotte razed a lot of historic buildings when they were still in decent condition, and it's not like Uptown was fully built out and couldn't accommodate new development in other parts of Uptown. Now it's not like Charlotte is alone here, but for a city that didn't have as many historic buildings to begin with, a disproportionate amount were indeed destroyed. There's no way to sugar coat it; it was a big blunder but nothing can be done about it now. The criticism has merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte