Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,065 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are relocating to Charlotte from Boston. My sister lived in the Huntersville area and surrounding for 5 years and loved it and has highly recommended it. We have narrowed it down to 2 apartment complex after a whirlwind trip for apartment hunting. One is in Davidson and the other in Huntersville. Both are new and lovely and near conveniences for the most part, but we are trying to figure out which is the better option. I am 29 and he is 40, we have no children just 2 dogs. We live right in Boston now so are used to having a lot close by and walkability is important. We do like the idea of living near the lake since we kayak and fish now, and would love to get a boat, but besides that we are not really "Nature people." Stuff for kids and school systems are unimportant as well. Any suggestions? I know they are both so close together but still. I will be working off WT Harris in the University area and he works from home mostly so his commute is not a big concern.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 05:23 PM

314 posts, read 677,009 times
Both are fantastic options but Huntersville is larger and has more options in terms of retail, restaurants, etc. I think being close to Birkdale Village sounds ideal (I fell in love with it when we were moving here also from the Boston area). But Davidson does have a very cute walkable downtown. Also Huntersville will give you a shorter commute to work.
Welcome!!!

Old 02-28-2018, 08:52 PM

164 posts, read 189,048 times
We moved from Boston to Davidson and agree with the above. We were hoping to live in a small New England village by a lake and Davidson was the closest thing we could find to the ideal - plus no New England snow! Both are nice areas and safe areas and the location of your apartment relative to where you want to walk is probably the biggest issue. You are a bit closer to Charlotte in Huntersville so that could shave 5-10 minutes off your commute.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:11 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,978,771 times
Well Huntersville has a cancer cluster that's growing... so we avoided that area when we moved here. Davidson is cute..just a small college town with really one tiny strip of "downtown" and the college. Thats about it.. You'll be going to the surrounding towns for any significant purchases.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:47 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,089,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarie327 View Post
My boyfriend and I are relocating to Charlotte from Boston. My sister lived in the Huntersville area and surrounding for 5 years and loved it and has highly recommended it. We have narrowed it down to 2 apartment complex after a whirlwind trip for apartment hunting. One is in Davidson and the other in Huntersville. Both are new and lovely and near conveniences for the most part, but we are trying to figure out which is the better option. I am 29 and he is 40, we have no children just 2 dogs. We live right in Boston now so are used to having a lot close by and walkability is important. We do like the idea of living near the lake since we kayak and fish now, and would love to get a boat, but besides that we are not really "Nature people." Stuff for kids and school systems are unimportant as well. Any suggestions? I know they are both so close together but still. I will be working off WT Harris in the University area and he works from home mostly so his commute is not a big concern.
Thanks!!!
Which apartments are looking at (unless you'd rather not say then what is the area they are located in) and I could help you a little better.

Huntersville is huge compared to Davidson so depending on your location it can make all the difference between walking somewhere or driving everywhere.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:25 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,975,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Well Huntersville has a cancer cluster that's growing... so we avoided that area when we moved here. Davidson is cute..just a small college town with really one tiny strip of "downtown" and the college. Thats about it.. You'll be going to the surrounding towns for any significant purchases.
There are around 20 cases of eye cancer out of 52k people. You've never lived there and have zero experience with the place. Enough already.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:46 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,411,774 times
Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson are pretty much the same thing. Collectively they’re called LKN. They have the same building codes, same layouts and so close. It’s 5 miles from downtown Huntersville to Cornelius. Then 1.5 miles from downtown Cornelius to downtown Davidson.

That being said, don’t get wrapped up in location. It’s pretty much a single destination. All bunched up. You’ll find yourself at Birkdale Village for a movie in Huntersville, at Jetton Park in Cornelius for a walk at the Lake park and eating at local place in downtown Davidson.

If you could tell us which apartments, that would be a huge help. Believe me. some places it’s hellish making a left turn out of your place. Some places might have a stop light into your place. I lived in Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson... and I’d say a big factor to consider is the traffic into and out of your complex, lol. It sounds trivial butttt.

(Also there is a greenway behind Birkdale that goes through Cornelius and to the Ramsey Creek dog park and it also has a “beach”). And the Petco is super nice in Huntersville. Petsmart in Cornelius sucks. It’s so small and really just a place you go in and out whereas the petco you can really take your dog in and enjoy

Last edited by Charlotte485; 03-03-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-03-2018, 11:11 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,370,166 times
Depending on where in Davidson and Huntersville, that could be a 15+ minute difference in commute. For that reason I’d probably lean Huntersville. Downtown Davidson does have a more New England feel, but that’s really only if you’re actually close to downtown.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:29 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,978,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
There are around 20 cases of eye cancer out of 52k people. You've never lived there and have zero experience with the place. Enough already.
Its enough to constantly be making the news.... and its growing with cases now in Concord... reason to be concerned... I think that's pretty valuable information for someone considering to move there.. Enough to change our minds

Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,975,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Its enough to constantly be making the news.... and its growing with cases now in Concord... reason to be concerned... I think that's pretty valuable information for someone considering to move there.. Enough to change our minds

So the reason you didn't move to Huntersville was because of the cancer cluster? I seem to remember you saying it was because your husband's job location changed at the last second.

The only article I have seen is the one that Gophil's linked that mentions Concord. There isn't any other information I can find. Concord is a big area. I wouldn't avoid it without having a lot more information than what was contained in that single article that just mentions Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte