Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 AM

37 posts, read 38,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
A stray/abandoned cat is not necessarily feral. I adopted my last to 'from the street' and they are not feral. The first one had been spayed and had a chip. The lady at the other end of the chip said oh I moved and didn't take her with me. The second one no one had neutered him, no chip, no one was looking for him, I presume they moved and left him behind too.
Frankly it doesn't matter. An outdoor cat, feral or not, is a plague upon the local ecosystem and destroys native wildlife populations as well as spreads disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 12:16 PM

607 posts, read 555,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelisSilvestris View Post
Why not use the information from the video to talk to the neighbor who didn't clean up the mess so maybe they'd get the message without paying a fine? Hmm...maybe the person who didn't clean up after their dog did it intentionally? Because they don't like you for some reason?
Because someone who is unable or unwilling to manage their dog or their dog's waste is a **** person. What adult needs to have someone talk to them to explain that they shouldn't allow their dog to use the yards of others as a bathroom? You can't fix trash, but you can get them fined.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:46 PM

573 posts, read 550,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Because someone who is unable or unwilling to manage their dog or their dog's waste is a **** person. What adult needs to have someone talk to them to explain that they shouldn't allow their dog to use the yards of others as a bathroom? You can't fix trash, but you can get them fined.
Well put my friend. So simple, so succinct,

Old 08-07-2018, 06:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecialHere View Post
Frankly it doesn't matter. An outdoor cat, feral or not, is a plague upon the local ecosystem and destroys native wildlife populations as well as spreads disease.
Nope. Mine has no idea how to hunt. He was begging off hoomins for food. A lot of strays are emaciated because they are dependent on humans to feed them, and have no idea how to feed themselves.

I see them all the time at night outside places food in generally dropped like fast food places.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Nope. Mine has no idea how to hunt. He was begging off hoomins for food. A lot of strays are emaciated because they are dependent on humans to feed them, and have no idea how to feed themselves.

I see them all the time at night outside places food in generally dropped like fast food places.
In the Orient, cat is eaten. I lived in Europe where Chinese restaurants were closed for serving cat. In my military survival situations over a very long span, I ate monkey, dog, and other rodents throughout Central and South America. That being said, there is a humane use for unwanted cats. Treat them like beef cattle and resolve the feral cat situation. Don't knock it until you try it. I don't mean to sound inhumane. I am just being realistic. It is no more cruel consuming one animal type over the other. We have learned other things from Asians, why not more.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 AM

37 posts, read 38,315 times
Quote:

And you see bears digging through trashcans as well. Animals aren't stupid, they go were food sources are readily available. That doesn't mean they aren't hunting as well.

Every shred of documentation out there supports the fact that feral and outdoor house cats destroy native bird and small mammal populations. Please educate yourself and be a part of the solution, rather than a contributor to the population.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:42 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecialHere View Post
And you see bears digging through trashcans as well. Animals aren't stupid, they go were food sources are readily available. That doesn't mean they aren't hunting as well.

Every shred of documentation out there supports the fact that feral and outdoor house cats destroy native bird and small mammal populations. Please educate yourself and be a part of the solution, rather than a contributor to the population.
Feral, yes, outdoor no. Promise, my cats adopted from the street have no idea how to hunt. Except hunting hoomins.

And the other strays I haven't adopted too. They come around demanding their ready-made meals!

Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 23,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
HOAs simply require that owners control their pets and pickup their crap and not let them pee on other's private property. If you think that a neighbor is "nasty" for not wanting a dog doing the aforementioned in their yard, you might be a problem. I live in a HOA community. Dogs are required by "law" and by the HOA to always be either on strict voice command or on a leach. That being said, people don't obey the rules and I have been attacked by dogs three times in our neighborhood. I called the police and animal control each time. For some reason, the HOA is blamed for this situation. Too many stupid people move into neighborhoods that have standards. I would not mind living in a non-HOA community, but there are too many people moving down here that don't respect neighbors or have high standards.

My next door neighbor has a German shepherd, takes it to obedience training, keeps it in her yard, cleans up it's mess immediately and is just fine. HOAs often allow large dogs, but owners are expected to adhere to local town and HOA rules. No unleashed dogs.
My dog is well behaved, I have a fenced in yard and I pick up her doo and sometimes other canines doo when I walk her in the neighborhood.
My remark about nasty neighbors is with regards to not being up and up about having a dog on the no-no list and being turned in by a "well meaning" neighbor.
HOAs are NOT a guarantee of good neighboring. Ours pay more attention to the small violations rather than the meaningful ones.
I agree with you too many people move down here from the northeast with their bad habits.

Bitten 3 times! Wow you are the most unlucky person ...

Last edited by arnolitto; 08-09-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnolitto View Post
My dog is well behaved, I have a fenced in yard and I pick up her doo and sometimes other canines doo when I walk her in the neighborhood.
My remark about nasty neighbors is with regards to not being up and up about having a dog on the no-no list and being turned in by a "well meaning" neighbor.
HOAs are NOT a guarantee of good neighboring. Ours pay more attention to the small violations rather than the meaningful ones.
I agree with you too many people move down here from the northeast with their bad habits.

Bitten 3 times! Wow you are the most unlucky person ...
Actually attacked where the dog charged at me with rough up and teeth snarling. I haven't been bitten although my neighbor was by one of the dogs. One of them tried to bite me, but I was about to keep him away with my foot. The worst thing was that there was no apology from any owner. HOAs are limited on what they control and all they do control has been agreed upon by homeowners. In my neighborhood, they normally speak to neighbors with unsightly things in their yards or parking in the alleyways. Most things like noise and dog poop and not being on leashes are city ordinances. I will admit that our community would not look so good without the intervention of the HOA whenever necessary. But, they are good and bother nobody.
You are right when you say that HOAs don't guarantee good neighboring. We have a pretty good turnover of various personalities.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Feral, yes, outdoor no. Promise, my cats adopted from the street have no idea how to hunt. Except hunting hoomins.

And the other strays I haven't adopted too. They come around demanding their ready-made meals!
A cat that doesn't know how to hunt is a severely mentally impaired cat. That is an instinct they are born with. Cats may be cute when they are babies, but they are a menace. They only care for humans for food and warmth. If they could, they would kill you doe fun and eat you like they do smaller defenseless animals. Cats should only be raised as food. There is a market for their meat and we have the supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte