Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:00 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
In California you have 4 hours to remove a car that broke down from the shoulder of the interstate before it gets towed.

In North Carolina you get a FULL 2 days to remove your broken down vehicle (hence the stickers on the cars).

NC Highway Patrol is also spread more than thin than CA CHP so there are less officers out and about to have time to pull over and sticker cars broken down on the side.
Very interesting CLT. I had no idea there was a time limit for removal if your car breaks down. Good to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 11:09 AM

31 posts, read 22,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
In California you have 4 hours to remove a car that broke down from the shoulder of the interstate before it gets towed.

In North Carolina you get a FULL 2 days to remove your broken down vehicle (hence the stickers on the cars).

NC Highway Patrol is also spread more than thin than CA CHP so there are less officers out and about to have time to pull over and sticker cars broken down on the side.
One other question comes to mind, if your car breaks down on a freeway, you should call your insurance and have it towed to your home or mechanic, right?
Thats what i would do anyways
Thanks

Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjsharks View Post
One other question comes to mind, if your car breaks down on a freeway, you should call your insurance and have it towed to your home or mechanic, right?
Thats what i would do anyways
Thanks
Except if are driving without insurance, then no need to call that insurance company now, is there!

Being a transplant as well, I too noticed a lot more abandoned cars on the shoulders of NC and SC interstates (as compared to PA).

CLT4's explanation sounds the best, but at first, coming from PA where you have to get your car mechanically inspected every year, I just thought since NC or SC doesn't have those inspections, then there are just more cars on the roads in the Carolinas with their wheels literally ready to fall off!

Old 08-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Except if are driving without insurance, then no need to call that insurance company now, is there!

Being a transplant as well, I too noticed a lot more abandoned cars on the shoulders of NC and SC interstates (as compared to PA).

CLT4's explanation sounds the best, but at first, coming from PA where you have to get your car mechanically inspected every year, I just thought since NC or SC doesn't have those inspections, then there are just more cars on the roads in the Carolinas with their wheels literally ready to fall off!
N.C. requires inspections every year.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:51 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
N.C. requires inspections every year.
Well, I guess I thought the inspection in PA was a lot more comprehensive than the one in North Carolina.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:00 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
As a side note, when seeing this, I also notice the owners of the disabled vehicle are more apt to take the license tag off the vehicles setting on the side of the road than years ago.

Which could be either a.) more cases of something sketchy going on with the disabled cars or their owners; or b.) more of a perception of license plate theft where someone with a clean record is afraid someone shifty is going to steal their plate and put it on a different vehicle.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:38 AM

231 posts, read 213,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Well, I guess I thought the inspection in PA was a lot more comprehensive than the one in North Carolina.
Nope, they are both pretty much the same inspection process. It does seem like you see more cars left on the road this time of year. I think it has something to do with summer travel and the heat stressing more parts of the car (cooling system, batteries, etc...) personally but, I have no data to back that up.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:41 AM

444 posts, read 581,759 times
this is amazing isn't it. I moved here from Boston and never seen anything like this. it is a road hazard. heck, I cannot remember ever seeing a dead dog in the road either for days on end either. different areas and different priorities. this is one of those "culture shock" observations people talk about. It is just weird isn't it?!? Why the south does things the way it does seems weird to those who did not grow up with it. Those who think you are crazy for mentioning it see it as normal because they grew up with it.

then if you want to get even more into the weeds. when I moved here I saw some jack A$$ from South Carolina with a rail road tie as a bumper. No inspections, cops don't care...to the locals that is no big deal. to an outsiders...wow wait a minutes that is pretty messed up.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 AM

31 posts, read 22,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
this is amazing isn't it. I moved here from Boston and never seen anything like this. it is a road hazard. heck, I cannot remember ever seeing a dead dog in the road either for days on end either. different areas and different priorities. this is one of those "culture shock" observations people talk about. It is just weird isn't it?!? Why the south does things the way it does seems weird to those who did not grow up with it. Those who think you are crazy for mentioning it see it as normal because they grew up with it.

then if you want to get even more into the weeds. when I moved here I saw some jack A$$ from South Carolina with a rail road tie as a bumper. No inspections, cops don't care...to the locals that is no big deal. to an outsiders...wow wait a minutes that is pretty messed up.
I agree, it is shocking a bit and very dangerous, especially at night because some cars parked so close to the lane, if you swerve a bit, you will hit it for sure! Plus the lights on the freeways are almost non existent and the light reflectors that separate the lanes....
Just have to be more careful behind the wheel i guess, and put that cell phone down while driving folks please
It can wait!

Old 08-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post

Absolutely amazing! I am SHOCKED! I think this is a very good reason for you to move back to Boston. I wouldn't put up with this if I were you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: