Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 AM

37 posts, read 38,332 times

Advertisements

I'd agree, I've seen cars parked on off ramps for weeks, one where I called CMPD for days trying to get them to tow one on the East side of Meck off 485.

We don't properly staff our highway patrol or local police around here, they don't have any capacity to perform traffic management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 11:58 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,708,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecialHere View Post
I'd agree, I've seen cars parked on off ramps for weeks, one where I called CMPD for days trying to get them to tow one on the East side of Meck off 485.

We don't properly staff our highway patrol or local police around here, they don't have any capacity to perform traffic management.
That might have been NC Highway Patrol jurisdiction rather than CMPD.

And you are right on police staffing. As a state, NC ranks 45th on overall expenditures per capita. NC is spending $4,380 per resident on services and debt compared to say Massachusetts which spends $8,997 per resident. That funds a lot more cops and services, etc...

Old 08-14-2018, 04:41 PM

44 posts, read 45,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
That might have been NC Highway Patrol jurisdiction rather than CMPD.

And you are right on police staffing. As a state, NC ranks 45th on overall expenditures per capita. NC is spending $4,380 per resident on services and debt compared to say Massachusetts which spends $8,997 per resident. That funds a lot more cops and services, etc...
And there you go. People move here with the talk of how cheap the cost of living is, then want to compare it to how it was from where they moved. Not to say I disagree with having more services but just remember there is a cost. I expect the new property taxes in 2019 will have an effect on overall living expense here and one day we will be “like up north”.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:55 AM

383 posts, read 393,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjsharks View Post
Hello everyone, we just moved here from Cali and one thing that we cant figure out is, why there are so many abandonded cars parked on the sides of the freeways everyday?
Out of gas? Broken? Sometimes there is like 3-5 in less than a mile....
And sometimes parked so close to the edge of the freeway, someone might crash, especially at night, because freeways not lit and lane dividers been painted years ago and lack light reflectors.....
Very dangerous.....
Since moving here over a year ago I have also noticed this phenomenon. I don't get it, either. On the way to church on Sundays (we travel 25 miles to our church), we count how many cars we see abandoned on the side of the highway. Another favorite past time has become counting how many cars we see from NY or NJ. I've lived in A LOT of different cities and have never seen anything like it.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:14 PM

184 posts, read 245,033 times
Hi, I've seen this too. Don't looked "abandoned", but look purposely parked, like for commuting meet up. I've seen it on 485, can't remember where cause I just moved here. It seems "orderly", like it's serving a different purpose than just leaving them. It seems dangerous and strange !!

Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 PM

34 posts, read 36,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjsharks View Post
Why there are so many abandoned cars parked on the sides of the freeways everyday?
Out of gas? Broken? Sometimes there is like 3-5 in less than a mile....
And sometimes parked so close to the edge of the freeway, someone might crash, especially at night, because freeways not lit and lane dividers been painted years ago and lack light reflectors.....
Very dangerous.....
Geez where do you live? We live part time in the 4th ward and I haven't seen 3 to 5 cars on the side of the highway ever.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:49 AM

31 posts, read 22,459 times
I live in Ballantyne and drive 485 every day and every day i see 3-5 cars on the side of the freeway
Do you get out much???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: