Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:51 PM

5 posts, read 3,412 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

It appears that there is a strong possibility that my family will be relocating to the Charlotte area in the coming months. Naturally, I have a couple of questions and would be most grateful for any and all feedback.

The situation - Two progressive mid-30s professionals with hopes of kids who would like to find a house in the 275K - 325K range in or within a 20 minute drive of the Yorkmont, Yorkmount, Yorkwood neighborhoods.

The questions:

1. What are the above referenced neighborhoods like? Family friendly? Restaurants? Politics?
2. Are there areas/neighborhoods within a 20 minute driving radius that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your comments and please let me know if I can provide additional information that would be of use.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 07:16 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,742,895 times
The Yorkwood neighborhood is going to be very loud. It is located directly in the flight path of arrivals onto runways 31R at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, which is the 6th busiest airport in the world for take-offs and landings. Between 7AM and 10PM in a north bound arrival path flow you can expect an airplane over that neighborhood every 30 seconds at an altitude low enough you can read the airline logo. Hence, many SFH's in that immediate area go for less than $200k.

Restaurants are going to be mainly chains in that area (think Panera Bread, Zaxby's, Chick-Fil-A, Ruby Tuesday, etc....) as well as independent international food. If you like fine dining, Dilworth, South End, Uptown, South Park, Elizabeth, the Gold District, etc... are going to have more of your innovative restaurants that aren't chains.

Politically, you can use this tool to check who voted for Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton as a proxy for "political views" down to the precinct level. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...35.139/-80.629

In the Yorkmount and Yorkwood area the two precincts that cover that area voted:
80% Clinton vs. 17% Trump
77% Clinton vs. 19% Trump

Some areas you might consider checking out in your price range: Berewick near the Charlotte Premium Outlets, Sturnbridge off Carmel Road, Reavencrest in the Ballantyne area, Madison Park (will be a fixer), and The Meridians new build in Steele Creek area.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:39 AM

751 posts, read 940,830 times
Highly recommend renting for a year before choosing to purchase a home. It'll give you a much better feel for the various areas/neighborhoods before being locked into a home. Charlotte has a very hot single family home rental market with a pretty decent amount of inventory. It'll also give you more time in the home buying process

Old 09-24-2018, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,412 times
Thank you both for your replies.

Our initial plan is most certainly to rent for the reasons you outlined UDcc123. We have been pleasantly surprised by what's available in the $1,200-$1,400 range. We're coming from New England and there is simply no comparison.

CLT4, that is great to know regarding Douglas airport. We are most certainly not looking for the chain restaurant/store scene everywhere we turn, but rather the independent/farmers market scene. Are the areas you mentioned inclusive of these and within a 15-20 minute drive of this Yorkwood neighborhood? Which leads me to another question: What is traffic generally like in Charlotte?

Finally, my wife is a PA, I can only presume there are many outpatient clinics in southern Charlotte. Can anyone provide a sense of the medical scene in the area? Hospitals, ambulatory clinics, etc.?

Thanks again in advance for any and all feedback.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:35 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,818,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnia1047 View Post

Our initial plan is most certainly to rent for the reasons you outlined UDcc123. We have been pleasantly surprised by what's available in the $1,200-$1,400 range. We're coming from New England and there is simply no comparison.

CLT4, that is great to know regarding Douglas airport. We are most certainly not looking for the chain restaurant/store scene everywhere we turn, but rather the independent/farmers market scene. Are the areas you mentioned inclusive of these and within a 15-20 minute drive of this Yorkwood neighborhood? Which leads me to another question: What is traffic generally like in Charlotte?

Finally, my wife is a PA, I can only presume there are many outpatient clinics in southern Charlotte. Can anyone provide a sense of the medical scene in the area? Hospitals, ambulatory clinics, etc.?

Atrium has a rehab faculty in Belmont.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,742,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinnia1047 View Post

Traffic is heavy in the Yorkwood area and will depend on where you are coming from. If you are coming from a city with less congestion like Greenville, SC, Portland, Maine, Manchester, NH, or Knoxville, TN the traffic in Charlotte will feel worse. If you are moving from a place like Southern California (like me), Washington DC, Seattle, etc... it will feel better or comparable depending on the routes you need to take.

I'd honestly recommend opening up your commute to 30 minutes because the Yorkwood area is likely not right where you want to live. 30 minutes will open up many of the neighborhoods I suggested. Ironically the Charlotte's Farmer's Market is located near the airport and would be one thing on your list that would be local to Yorkwood.

Plenty of options for a PA in Charlotte. Atrium Health (formerly Carolinas Health System) and Novant Health are the two biggest hospital groups with locations across the metro. Carolina Medical Center - Pineville Hospital (part of Atrium) is closest to Yorkwood. You also have large specialty practices like OrthoCarolina, Charlotte Ear, Nose, and Throat, Carolina Neurosurgery & Spine, Tryon Medical Partners, etc...

Are you looking to rent a single family home or are you open to renting a townhome / condo? The South End area might be a good central location, not too far from Yorkwood, to start your first year in Charlotte and put you right in the middle of the metro for exploring other neighborhoods to see where you want to settle down. Lots of great restaurants, breweries, independent shops, etc... in that area.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 AM

869 posts, read 1,799,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Traffic is heavy in the Yorkwood area and will depend on where you are coming from. If you are coming from a city with less congestion like Greenville, SC, Portland, Maine, Manchester, NH, or Knoxville, TN the traffic in Charlotte will feel worse. If you are moving from a place like Southern California (like me), Washington DC, Seattle, etc... it will feel better or comparable depending on the routes you need to take.
While city street traffic in Knoxville is average, the interstate traffic there can be awful. 2 of the biggest trucking highways in the country, I-40 & I-75 converge there, and become one for about 10 miles. That stretch of traffic backs up everyday. It's not to the degree that you see in the other cities you mention, but, since there are really no good alternative roads in that area, it can be a pain.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:14 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,198,876 times
Essentially any neighborhood within a mile or two of I-77 between the airport and Carowinds is going to be in the flight path, especially west of I-77.

Old 09-25-2018, 12:25 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,391,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Atrium has a rehab faculty in Belmont.
I agree that Belmont is a good suggestion if looking for independent restaurants and such. As far as hospitals that would also put OP ~30 minutes from several of the bigger hospitals in the metro - CHS Pineville, CHS University, and Novant Huntersville, plus the ones near uptown as well.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,818,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I agree that Belmont is a good suggestion if looking for independent restaurants and such. As far as hospitals that would also put OP ~30 minutes from several of the bigger hospitals in the metro - CHS Pineville, CHS University, and Novant Huntersville, plus the ones near uptown as well.
I was just thinking that the facility in Belmont might work & be an "in" for the Atrium system. It's on the east side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte