Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 05:34 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,402,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh575 View Post
Thanks Sparkman. That sounds about the same as my husbands current commute into Raleigh.
Does he leave at 5:15 in the morning? Ballantyne to Uptown is 45 - 60 minutes at usual rush hour times, Ft. Mill is longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,364,532 times
Honestly I’ve found the Charlotte metro to be pretty comparable to the Triangle. And Charlotte probably has more traffic. If you are not a fan of the Triangle, I’m not sure you’ll enjoy Charlotte much more.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:15 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,980,425 times
"What do you all think?"
i think Charlotte is just a bigger Raleigh.
more of everything you like and do not like.
as GoPhils posted:
"If you are not a fan of the Triangle, I’m not sure you’ll enjoy Charlotte much more."

Old 12-06-2018, 07:29 AM

751 posts, read 937,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
My wife works in Dilworth (Presbyterian) and we live in Blakeney. She leaves at 5:15 am, takes 77 & 277 and is there is 20-25 minutes. Leaves for home at 4:30, takes side roads, and is home about 5:15-5:20pm.
Note that this time only gets worse the closer to 8am and 5pm-6pm that you leave the house/work. Sounds like Sparkman's wife has optimal work hours to leave just before the afternoon rush hour traffic is at it's worst.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,412,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Honestly I’ve found the Charlotte metro to be pretty comparable to the Triangle. And Charlotte probably has more traffic. If you are not a fan of the Triangle, I’m not sure you’ll enjoy Charlotte much more.
I am just learning both areas, but it seems the Charlotte metro is more concentrated, more like one big city. The Triangle metro may be comparable in population, but it's a collection of cities Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, etc. covering a significantly larger area. Though traffic congestion may be similar, things are just further apart in the Triangle no?

We were sold on relocating to the Triangle (so obviously we liked the area) until we started visiting Charlotte. YMMV

Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 AM

53 posts, read 96,093 times
Thanks everyone for the input! Really appreciate it.

Midpack, interesting! What was it that sold you on Charlotte specifically? The fact that things are less sprawled? Can you comment on if the general vibe is different?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,720,911 times
You might want to look at an area like Cotswold depending on your budget if you are looking for a combination of suburban and "more excitement." It is a desirable location for getting single family homes and being close to Uptown, South End, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, etc... for good restaurants and shopping. Lots of families have moved into Cotswold too, many looking for something a little more exciting than a tract house in a quiet subdivision near Applebee's and Target.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh575 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input! Really appreciate it.

Midpack, interesting! What was it that sold you on Charlotte specifically? The fact that things are less sprawled? Can you comment on if the general vibe is different?
Less sprawl had a lot to do with it. In addition, COL in Charlotte seems a little lower than the Triangle, but not much. And the cultural scene in Charlotte also seemed a little better, again not much. But people were equally friendly in both cities, relative to northern cities. Again, my views are based on weeks of observations in both cities, so what do I know...

Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
You might want to look at an area like Cotswold depending on your budget if you are looking for a combination of suburban and "more excitement." It is a desirable location for getting single family homes and being close to Uptown, South End, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, etc... for good restaurants and shopping. Lots of families have moved into Cotswold too, many looking for something a little more exciting than a tract house in a quiet subdivision near Applebee's and Target.
If you're willing to comment, one of my fears with established neighborhoods is making new friends. Where in new suburbs there will be many transients looking to make new connections, I assume older neighborhoods where friendships have developed over decades, they might not be as interested in new neighbors - especially Yankees like me (even though I've lived in several southern states off an on). I know I am stereotyping and could be surprised either way, but in general. FWIW.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,720,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you're willing to comment, one of my fears with established neighborhoods is making new friends. Where in new suburbs there will be many transients looking to make new connections, I assume older neighborhoods where friendships have developed over decades, they might not be as interested in new neighbors - especially Yankees like me (even though I've lived in several southern states off an on). I know I am stereotyping and could be surprised either way, but in general. FWIW.
Completely depends on the neighborhood and it is a valid thing to be worried about. Some established neighborhoods have strong traditions that make it easy to integrate new neighbors into the community. My in-laws moved into a neighborhood of homes built in the 60's and 70's and are now in the poker club, gardening club, bbq club, book club, etc... in the community. No problems they weren't from the South and the residents were excited about the remodel they did, meeting their dog, etc... They hosted their first Christmas party since moving and about 25 neighbors came. There are neighborhoods that lose life though and don't have a healthy turnover or newer residents moving in.

Some new neighborhoods form strong bonds right away, especially among the families with young children who start going to school together. It will take initiative among the new residents to start traditions and activities though since nobody has started them before. Sometimes that results in everybody waiting around for somebody else to start a tradition, but not wanting the responsibility of kicking off the book club or gardening club. The HOA can organize stuff, but the organic stuff can take some time. Also, I have found new transplants can be less outgoing because they are nervous / stressed about their move and are waiting for people to welcome them, rather than welcome others. You can end up in a situation where nobody is welcoming anybody because they all think somebody should welcome them since they are new, but they're all new!

So it just completely depends on the exact neighborhood. Pros and cons to each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte