Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 AM

12 posts, read 11,742 times

Advertisements

I live in Central IL right ow making $60k. I received a job offer to work in Troy, NY for $82-84k. However, I can't shake the feeling that I should look for work in North Carolina Research Triangle or Charlotte Area. Although I do not work in tech the area seems to be booming right now. I also have family in Norfolk/Chesapeake and have always enjoyed visiting.

If I can find a decent home, 1800 sqft minimum in a relatively safe area with decent schools, for 200k or less that would be great. I am willing to drive within a 30 minute radius of wherever I would choose to work (Food Service)

I wanted to get some honest feedback from people who have moved to NC from Midwest and Northeast. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
$200k for a single family home in an area with decent or good schools is going to be more tough in the Charlotte area than the Albany area.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightNinja View Post
I live in Central IL right ow making $60k. I received a job offer to work in Troy, NY for $82-84k. However, I can't shake the feeling that I should look for work in North Carolina Research Triangle or Charlotte Area. Although I do not work in tech the area seems to be booming right now. I also have family in Norfolk/Chesapeake and have always enjoyed visiting.

If I can find a decent home, 1800 sqft minimum in a relatively safe area with decent schools, for 200k or less that would be great. I am willing to drive within a 30 minute radius of wherever I would choose to work (Food Service)

I wanted to get some honest feedback from people who have moved to NC from Midwest and Northeast. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks for your help.
I'd suggest that you do searches on Indeed for Charlotte and Gastonia. If you find jobs that would suit you, let us know the locations. That would help us to help you.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'd suggest that you do searches on Indeed for Charlotte and Gastonia. If you find jobs that would suit you, let us know the locations. That would help us to help you.
Gastonia is rough. High crime. Was just ranked as one of the worst cities in America to live this year. But I guess you get what you pay for and while you can certainly get a house out there for that price you may regret it lol. That being said commute is a huge issue and knowing where the job is is helpful to lessen the commute.

https://www.charlottestories.com/gas...ities-america/

Old 11-20-2019, 04:06 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Gastonia is rough. High crime. Was just ranked as one of the worst cities in America to live this year. But I guess you get what you pay for and while you can certainly get a house out there for that price you may regret it lol. That being said commute is a huge issue and knowing where the job is is helpful to lessen the commute.

That article is from July 2017. Try again.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
That article is from July 2017. Try again.
Literally the only news stories coming out of Gastonia are murders and shootings and home invasions.. not some destination city with superb schools.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dang...orth-carolina/

Here are the 10 most dangerous cities in North Carolina for 2020:
Whiteville (Photos)
Kinston (Photos)
Henderson (Photos)
Albemarle (Photos)
Reidsville (Photos)
Oxford (Photos)
Siler City (Photos)
Gastonia (Photos)
Rockingham (Photos)
Salisbury (Photos)

When looking at violent crimes, Gastonia, NC has 105% higher than violent crime rate than North Carolina average, while remaining 89% higher than the national average. In property crime, Gastonia, NC is 92% higher than the average of North Carolina and is 106% higher than the national average.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2019 at 01:19 AM..

Old 11-20-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Yes, I remember how you went to Gastonia without asking for any information, ended up in the worst part of Franklin Blvd, then came on here and gave a blow by blow description of it and portrayed that the whole city was like that. Then you protested when people called you out.

Just for the record, the building that you described was torn down as that area will be the center of the ballpark and entertainment district.

I suggested that the person use Charlotte and Gastonia to do job searches. That doesn't limit them to either city. Based on the person's budget for housing, what I suggested makes sense to be within 30 minutes of decent housing with decent schools within their budget.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yes, I remember how you went to Gastonia without asking for any information, ended up in the worst part of Franklin Blvd, then came on here and gave a blow by blow description of it and portrayed that the whole city was like that. Then you protested when people called you out.

Just for the record, the building that you described was torn down as that area will be the center of the ballpark and entertainment district.

I suggested that the person use Charlotte and Gastonia to do job searches. That doesn't limit them to either city. Based on the person's budget for housing, what I suggested makes sense to be within 30 minutes of decent housing with decent schools within their budget.

I’ve been to Gastonia several times, as recent as last month for different festival and classes.. on your recommendation to the OP regarding Gastonia I shall remind them you get what you pay for.. ask yourself why it’ cheaper to live there than other parts in a city about to hit a crime rate they haven’t seen in three decades..

Old 11-20-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Literally the only news stories coming out of Gastonia are murders and shootings and home invasions.. not some destination city with superb schools.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/most-dang...orth-carolina/

Here are the 10 most dangerous cities in North Carolina for 2020:
Whiteville (Photos)
Kinston (Photos)
Henderson (Photos)
Albemarle (Photos)
Reidsville (Photos)
Oxford (Photos)
Siler City (Photos)
Gastonia (Photos)
Rockingham (Photos)
Salisbury (Photos)

When looking at violent crimes, Gastonia, NC has 105% higher than violent crime rate than North Carolina average, while remaining 89% higher than the national average. In property crime, Gastonia, NC is 92% higher than the average of North Carolina and is 106% higher than the national average.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
We all know you hate it here.

It's also been discussed on here that the newscasts almost never carry the warm and fuzzy news stories about any cities or towns west of Charlotte.

Didn't you say that you're on your way to New England?

FYI I suggested looking for a job there. There are several towns with good schools and houses like what the OP asked for that would be a better commute from Gastonia or west Charlotte.

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2019 at 01:19 AM..

Old 11-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I’ve been to Gastonia several times, as recent as last month for different festival and classes.. on your recommendation to the OP regarding Gastonia I shall remind them you get what you pay for.. ask yourself why it’ cheaper to live there than other parts in a city about to hit a crime rate they haven’t seen in three decades..
Do you not understand that if you look for a job in a municipality you don't have to live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte