Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:00 AM

240 posts, read 1,022,352 times

Advertisements

Backfist,
What neighborhoods are you considering? I would definately love to find an upscale Black or diverse neighborhood. How old are your kids. I have a 9 year old daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,040 times
We're considering Huntersville, Davidson, Mooresville and Concord. The Black populations in those suburbs are about 7%, 8%, 14% and 15%. But I have to say that I've never visited either, so I don't know if they're truly diverse or just unofficially segregated. My kids are 11 and 13 (and 3 months) so high schools are the immediate concern. Huntersville seems to be the most popular relocation 'burb, but the school situation is kind of a trip. There are two high schools and about a zillion kids. The schools want to "secede" from the Charlotte-Mecklenberg School District, and as a result, the schools would be fairly well segregated. This may or may not be the case in Concord or Mooresville. But if it's happening here in Colorado, there's a strong chance it's happening in other counties in NC.

I'd also love an upper-middle class diverse neighborhood in the Charlotte suburbs. On the one hand, people will say that segregated neighborhoods are a thing of the past, but the various school drama all around the state (including metro Charlotte) seems to be an indicator of what people plan to do about diversity in the neighborhoods.

One can only hope.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:34 PM

240 posts, read 1,022,352 times
Default Charlotte or Raleigh

I've been to Huntersville. I did like that area. I have a few friends from college that relocated to that area years ago. They love it there. Concord appears to be okay but I'm concerned about the noise and traffic near the Lowes Speedway. I haven't been to Mooresville or Davidson.

What do you mean the schools want to 'secede' from the CMS school district?

I'll be visiting NC in three weeks. I believe I will rent a house for a year to determine where and if this will be my permanent location. I really hope that I like Charlotte. I do not want to end up back in Md or Atlanta. I would love to live in a city other than the few cities that appear to be acceptable to people of color and cost a million dollars for a home. It seems unfair that you have to think about moving to Atlanta because you know that you and your family will be accepted there. My friends here in Wellington, Fl after two years are moving to Atlanta because they do not feel that they can find the culture, acceptance, and general understanding as a middle class black family. They are looking for the same things as everyone else. It's amazing that people think everyone is so different because of their skin color.

Good Luck to you and your family.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
We're really struggling with moving to the Charlotte suburbs because we feel that it's important for our kids to know that there are other kids of color who are also bright, intellectual, well-behaved and responsible (I mean as much as any kid can be).
I agree with you 100%. Where I live and where my daughter goes to school, there is not much African-Americans and the last thing I want is for my daughter to see others differently because of their color. That's one thing that we are definitely emphasizing with her. Skin color should not mean a darn thing. Good people are good people no matter what color.

Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian
What do you mean the schools want to 'secede' from the CMS school district?
I hope you enjoy your visit. And thanks for the tip on H'ville.

As to schools "seceding" from CMS. The official term for the proposed process is decentralization (see the CMS website). There's a movement afoot to take Huntersville/Lake Norman area schools out of Charlotte district so that ... well ...

Just google Newhouse news + Charlotte + Mecklenburg + Resegregate, and you might be able to get a better understanding of things below the surface.

Last edited by backfist; 05-30-2006 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-31-2006, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 18,450 times
I live in Union county, the southeastern suburbia of Charlotte. My wife and I are white - I first moved to Charlotte in 1981 from Pennsylvania, and I can say it has steadily improved in terms of racial interactions since then. I would say the area currently suffers from what I would describe as "racial awkwardness" rather than any significant racial malice. With that said it tends to be the adults that are awkward - there is great effort to not pass that awkwardness on to the next generation.

My 14 year old daughter is currently flirting with a boy in her class that is black. I can honestly say that the fact that he is black and she is white is not an issue for anyone in her circle of friends or the circle of parents of friends. (The fact that he is a boy, admittedly, bothers me ). Her two best friends are a second generation Indian whose parents moved from Ohio and second generation Colombian whose parents moved from New York City. My ten year old's two best friends are black/white inter-racial and Pakistani. So I think there is some racial integration, but on the other hand, I had three kids playing soccer in the Spring and my son's team was all white, as was my 10 year old's team. My 14 year old's team had only one non-white girl on the team. Just anecdotal - but there are some activities - Church being a big one - where integration is not occuring as much as would be hoped for. With that said, I don't think it is based on malice.

I don't have much sense of whether Raleigh is better or worse on this particular point, but I do think overall Charlotte is a more enjoyable city.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:34 PM

Amen, and amen, jbuckley. It's always us adults who make things awkward. The kids are the real teachers here.

Thanks for a great post. And keep an eye on that young fella. You remember when you were 14, doncha?

Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 PM

17 posts, read 162,774 times
Default We are too!

Hi Chalice,

I was glad to happen upon your post as we are IR also. I am black, my husband is white. Due to jobs, we are considering Greensboro or Raleigh though. I have a post on here in which I am seeking assistance with comparisons on both these areas.

As for Charlotte/Raleigh, I have been to Charlotte and Raleigh -- two years ago with hubby, and we liked both. In any event, I am sure you may like Charlotte AND Raleigh also. From what I understand, you shouldn't have a problem in either area as an IR couple. If you have never been to either area, you may need to visit both, hang out for a couple days, drive around and explore to see exactly which you feel you may prefer. Decisions, decisions! I'm not sure if I've helped at all, but at least it's good to know you are not alone.

Good luck! If you wish to keep in touch, let me know.

S.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:10 AM

23 posts, read 86,411 times
backfist - have you relocated to Charlotte? If so, were you able to find the middle-class Black neighborhood you were seeking? I'm getting ready to locate and am trying to look for the same type of atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte