Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 AM

29 posts, read 165,622 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Just found this site and I think you people are great. I'm relocating from Atlanta and lived and worked in the Charlotte area in the past but now Im at a loss for the best place to buy a home. Its me, my wife and 2 young(under 3) children. We will be going to grad school at UNCC but have family in Upstate SC so we were thinking about Gastonia as a good halfway point. Our budget is $175k but would prefer not to go that high if possible. We were looking at a scenic homes sub and cp morgan and I was all set to view CPMorgan tomorrow until I read the 30 pages of complaints here

I had been looking near UNCC prior to that but some of the subs in Newell - old concord rd area looked like they might be on the decline and wasn't sure about how things are changing in town. I'd really like to get the best value. I need at least 3br and 2ba. Any ideas? I have been using trulia and reading posts here so I know the hotspots and areas that people say are nice but Im having a hard time converting SouthPark, Ballantyne and other locations into areas on the MLS map or zip codes. Plus it seems those places are out of my price range.
Am I better off gettin a townhome in the best possible metro neighborhood or finding a decent newer home in a surrounding area?

I know I should be approaching a good realtor about this but from my recent realtor dealings I'd rather know what Im in for ahead of time so I dont get ripped off or get bad advice from someone seeking a commission.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 AM

71 posts, read 287,233 times
Hi there, I moved to Highland Creek which is in the northern part of the county. While I do like the neighborhood, I hate being so far away from everything. It takes me 20 minutes or more to get anywhere. I really like South Charlotte and the Matthews area. I've heard good things about Mt. Holly and Union County also. We looked at homes in Sedgefield and in South Mecklenburg. Here's some zip codes that I think you should check out: 28209, 28210, 28277. Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:50 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyabun View Post
Hi all. Just found this site and I think you people are great. I'm relocating from Atlanta and lived and worked in the Charlotte area in the past but now Im at a loss for the best place to buy a home. Its me, my wife and 2 young(under 3) children. We will be going to grad school at UNCC but have family in Upstate SC so we were thinking about Gastonia as a good halfway point. Our budget is $175k but would prefer not to go that high if possible. We were looking at a scenic homes sub and cp morgan and I was all set to view CPMorgan tomorrow until I read the 30 pages of complaints here

I had been looking near UNCC prior to that but some of the subs in Newell - old concord rd area looked like they might be on the decline and wasn't sure about how things are changing in town. I'd really like to get the best value. I need at least 3br and 2ba. Any ideas? I have been using trulia and reading posts here so I know the hotspots and areas that people say are nice but Im having a hard time converting SouthPark, Ballantyne and other locations into areas on the MLS map or zip codes. Plus it seems those places are out of my price range.
Am I better off gettin a townhome in the best possible metro neighborhood or finding a decent newer home in a surrounding area?

I know I should be approaching a good realtor about this but from my recent realtor dealings I'd rather know what Im in for ahead of time so I dont get ripped off or get bad advice from someone seeking a commission.

Hi. Unless you need to be near your family for daily childcare, I would not suggest you live in Gastonia - you will have to drive too far and with too many headaches on a daily basis up to UNCC. Your best bet truly is to look for a home in Cabarrus County. Both Harrisburg and Concord are very convenient to UNCC and they each still offer affordable housing. In addition, they are nice safe, family friendly areas. Do not look to buy in Charlotte, especially around the Newell area, in your price range - unless you want a townhome. Please let me know what other questions you may have

Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswife View Post
Hi there, I moved to Highland Creek which is in the northern part of the county. While I do like the neighborhood, I hate being so far away from everything. It takes me 20 minutes or more to get anywhere. I really like South Charlotte and the Matthews area. I've heard good things about Mt. Holly and Union County also. We looked at homes in Sedgefield and in South Mecklenburg. Here's some zip codes that I think you should check out: 28209, 28210, 28277. Good Luck!
But everything is at least 20 minutes away in Charlotte! I too lived in HC, but also lived off Providence, Ballantyne, SouthPark, and other places (basically everywhere except the eastside and westside) and anywhere you want to go is 20 min...

I agree with lovesmountains, I was going to suggest Cabarrus County, too...can't go wrong there.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 AM

38 posts, read 142,009 times
Default Tell me more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswife View Post
Could you give me a little more insight to Highland Creek? We will be moving in a couple of months and want an established neighborhood....Highland Creek has come highly recommended, but those recommending it haven't actually lived there. We haven't made it up (from south GA) to see it for ourselves yet. Any insight sure would help! Thanks!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM

29 posts, read 165,622 times
Thanks for the replies!

lovesMountains-
I don't need them for child care but there is a family business there that my wife is involved with. We would move to SC but its horrible(I've lived there) and for the money there seems to be much better things in NC. Even driving from Cabarrus isnt a problem since our 20 mile commute in Atlanta was 1.5 -2 hours both ways :lol:.
I would prefer something along 485 or near 85 if possible.
Why did you suggest not buying in Newell? Anything specific?
I'd consider a townhome or a condo. My main points are value(dont want my 175k home to end up being worth less) and safety(crime). Schools arent that important right now, which is why I was considering Gastonia.

Jayswife- Thanks for the suggestions. Where is Highland Creek? Couldnt see it on a map. How is Sedgefield? I read a discussion on here where someone said it was high crime near south blvd and woodlawn rd.

There aren't any area 6,7 or 8 locations that are safe or affordable?

I also have given notice in Atlanta and I need to be moved by the end of August. I burned up a few weeks figuring out that Greenville-Spartanburg sucks. The flooded market in Atlanta also has given me unreasonably high expectations when looking at areas that used to be much cheaper in the Carolinas.
This whole process is stressing me out. In order to close by the end of August I need to find something in the next week or two.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

lovesMountains-
I don't need them for child care but there is a family business there that my wife is involved with. We would move to SC but its horrible(I've lived there) and for the money there seems to be much better things in NC. Even driving from Cabarrus isnt a problem since our 20 mile commute in Atlanta was 1.5 -2 hours both ways :lol:.
I'd consider a townhome or a condo. My main points are value(dont want my 175k home to end up being worth less) and safety(crime). Schools arent that important right now, which is why I was considering Gastonia.

Jayswife- Thanks for the suggestions. Where is Highland Creek? Couldnt see it on a map. How is Sedgefield? I read a discussion on here where someone said it was high crime near south blvd and woodlawn rd.

I also have given notice in Atlanta and I need to be moved by the end of August. I burned up a few weeks figuring out that Greenville-Spartanburg sucks. The flooded market in Atlanta also has given me unreasonably high expectations when looking at areas that used to be much cheaper in the Carolinas.
This whole process is stressing me out. In order to close by the end of August I need to find something in the next week or two.
In that case you may want to look at the Steele Creek area of Charlotte (area 7). There are homes there in your price range and it is convenient to I485 near where it meets I85. Also, Mt. Holly in Gaston County would also be an option for you.

I would not recommend Newell because of the higher crime and rougher areas around it. Sedgefield would not be convenient for all that you are trying to accomplish at all - plus you most likely could not get in there under $200,000. It is also a bit more urban and may not feel as safe to some people. Highland Creek is a beautiful planned community of over 1000 homes in the north end of the city, very convenient to UNCC. Your money may find you a home there, definitely a town home. It is a great neighborhood with a good resale track record.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Examples of homes in the Steele Creek area in your price range

Allen Tate Family of Companies (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=11&pagealias=ListingDet ail&ListingID=1023051&ListingPosition=5&From=Full - broken link)

Allen Tate Family of Companies (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=11&pagealias=ListingDet ail&ListingID=998435&ListingPosition=28&From=Full - broken link)

Allen Tate Family of Companies (http://www.allentate.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?pageid=11&pagealias=ListingDet ail&ListingID=1010926&ListingPosition=1&From=Full - broken link)

Old 07-25-2007, 02:03 PM

36 posts, read 94,533 times
Default Some ideas

The best thing to do, if possible, is to try the commute during the time you would travel normally. It can be heavy at times on both 485 and 85.

In areas north of the city, you need to be aware of the future I-485, which may wipe out the community that you are looking to live in. There's no specific place to get a definative answer on where it will go but we have a good idea from the state. However, that will change daily once construction begins in a few years.

If you're looking for crime stats, you can get them for Charlotte from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/home.htm - broken link). Anywhere else, you can get call for service by calling the local police dept.

I'd consider looking at Union County (Indian Trail, Stallings, Matthews) as you can get a nice place for under $175k, 30 minutes to UNCC, good schools, lower taxes, and now that there a moratorium is in place, existing construction values should rise. The area as a whole is appreciating nicely but some areas are doing better than others.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

lovesMountains-

Old 07-25-2007, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 24,288 times
Smile Hi

Moderator cut: please read the tos before making another post
Gastonia isn't bad. The number one thing I hear from Gastonians is this: "Why do we have taxes as high as Charlotte, but not the same amenities to show for it?"

You may want to consider Lincoln County. Denver is still relatively close to Charlotte and all the major interchanges. Has great schools, and the area is booming. Close to the lake, yet close to Charlotte...

SouthPark and Ballantyne can be quite expensive. Pineville/Matthews might work for you. Just depends on how often you will have to drive to UNCC. I will have to look at my MLS book for you and post the Area and sub areas that you are asking about. Huntersville may also be an option for you. It is closer to UNCC, and not too bad if you plan on driving to Union County to see family.

Also, use this link to analyze schools. It is a FANTASTIC resource for parents.

North Carolina schools - NC elementary, middle and high school information (broken link)

Hope this helps!

Robin Hager

Quote:

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-31-2007 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: soliciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte