Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 06:58 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironforce85 View Post
Are you originally from NC or moved from another state?

I have Concord in the radar and will be heading there within the next month once I finish tying up some ends over here in LA.

Networking with a few out there would be ace, too.
I wasn't really looking for anything too specific - just a general scope of what good places to look out for (markets/restaurants/gyms/'entertainment' spots, etc. )
What are some 'rough' parts (if any exist ?)

I'm a transplant and moved here from the DC area. When I moved down, my area was a lot of land and two-lane roads. It's really been built up in the last 14 years including 485 our beltway. It wasn't here when I moved down here.

Concord is a huge area. I live over near Concord Mills and work in uptown (though during COVID have worked at home). A lot of people go to Burn Bootcamp at Edison Square or they go to the Crossfit gym off of Poplar Tent/Derita Road.

Our bars are only open at 30% and outdoors only. We do have a restaurant/bar around our neighborhood that used to be the hangout....Pippa's. There is also a cigar/coffee/drinks place that opened up in March called Beans and Sticks. The White Water Center could be a good spot to go and there is a drive-in theater called Hounds (in Kings Mountain) that has drive-in concerts. There are multiple places to go hiking if that's your thing.

If you like sushi, Eez in Birkdale Village (it's in Huntersville about 20/25 minutes) is a great place to go. We like Que Onda for Mexican.

We have Publix, Harris Teeter, and Lidl (and EarthFare is also coming back). I'm hoping that Wegman's makes it's way down here in the next couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 08:50 AM

38 posts, read 74,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I'm a transplant and moved here from the DC area. When I moved down, my area was a lot of land and two-lane roads. It's really been built up in the last 14 years including 485 our beltway. It wasn't here when I moved down here.

Concord is a huge area. I live over near Concord Mills and work in uptown (though during COVID have worked at home). A lot of people go to Burn Bootcamp at Edison Square or they go to the Crossfit gym off of Poplar Tent/Derita Road.

Our bars are only open at 30% and outdoors only. We do have a restaurant/bar around our neighborhood that used to be the hangout....Pippa's. There is also a cigar/coffee/drinks place that opened up in March called Beans and Sticks. The White Water Center could be a good spot to go and there is a drive-in theater called Hounds (in Kings Mountain) that has drive-in concerts. There are multiple places to go hiking if that's your thing.

If you like sushi, Eez in Birkdale Village (it's in Huntersville about 20/25 minutes) is a great place to go. We like Que Onda for Mexican.

We have Publix, Harris Teeter, and Lidl (and EarthFare is also coming back). I'm hoping that Wegman's makes it's way down here in the next couple of years.
Wow, great rundown! Thanks a ton for this useful info.
Appreciate the name drops of these establishments and locations.
(and yes I do enjoy hiking/outdoor related activity's)
Thanks for mentioning . Forgot to ask about this topic.

Good list of big name stores there.
I'm sure there's a Walmart/Target not too far either. .

I was actually in Concord last year in Nov. for about 2-3 days. Had a 'Friendsgiving' . Never been prior, but love the open land w. minimal traffic/road activity. Didn't get a chance to hit up Charlotte downtown city. Just saw it from the distance off of fwy.

Personally I thought most of the Concord area was quite bare. Can't imagine how it was 14 yrs ago when you landed there

Old 10-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Wow, great rundown! Thanks a ton for this useful info.
Appreciate the name drops of these establishments and locations.
(and yes I do enjoy hiking/outdoor related activity's)
Thanks for mentioning . Forgot to ask about this topic.

Good list of big name stores there.
I'm sure there's a Walmart/Target not too far either. .

I was actually in Concord last year in Nov. for about 2-3 days. Had a 'Friendsgiving' . Never been prior, but love the open land w. minimal traffic/road activity. Didn't get a chance to hit up Charlotte downtown city. Just saw it from the distance off of fwy.

Personally I thought most of the Concord area was quite bare. Can't imagine how it was 14 yrs ago when you landed there
There is a Walmart near Concord Mills and one-off of 29.

There is a Target at exit 54 off of I85. I'm at Target at least once a weekend (it wasn't here either when I moved here).

Old 10-23-2020, 05:11 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,730 times
Concord is ok as long as you dont need to drive into Charlotte more than several times a month.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Concord is ok as long as you dont need to drive into Charlotte more than several times a month.

Why? I did it 7 days a week pre-covid.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:44 PM

958 posts, read 1,724,085 times
Quote:
Why? I did it 7 days a week pre-covid.
And how long did it take you?

Old 10-23-2020, 10:21 PM

38 posts, read 74,194 times
Quote:
There is a Walmart near Concord Mills and one-off of 29.

There is a Target at exit 54 off of I85. I'm at Target at least once a weekend (it wasn't here either when I moved here).
Sounds good. Glad to know more familiar names in vicinity

Prob silly question, but are theatres open over there?

Old 10-24-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
And how long did it take you?
Anywhere from 30-45 minutes. I played my book on Audible each morning and afternoon. It was never enough time as I would get to the good parts of the book and have to wait to hear what was next.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Sounds good. Glad to know more familiar names in vicinity

Prob silly question, but are theatres open over there?
They are allowed to be open at 30% capacity but the theatre we like going to is a Regal Starlight off of 29. It's still closed and I believe will be closed until next year.

There is an AMC at Concord Mills that might be open.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:22 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,751 times
[quote=Mr78609;59483894]Concord is ok as long as you dont need to drive into Charlotte more than several times a month.[/QUOTE

I commute Mon -Fri from Concord Mills area to Myers Park and have no issues (aside from the normally expected occasional accident, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte