Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 08:49 PM

25 posts, read 21,079 times

Advertisements

All,

After living at various countries in Asia for 14 years we have decided to move back to the US. The hope is June 2021. Need to get my wife through immigration and get our 8 year old son established to a good school in the Charlotte area.

What area's by experience are the ones to focus on?

Also looking at new builds. Any good/bad advise about builders?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 03:13 AM

773 posts, read 651,208 times
Very broad and therefore difficult to answer questions. Lots of nice areas both in and around Charlotte. Budget, work location, school needs and transportation access/ability all play heavily into the equation. I assume your wife is Vietnamese? Is she comfortable driving in the US? Is your son ready to jump right into a US school? Where will you be working (and I'm sure you don't know that, but "Charlotte" can take an hour and half to transverse at rush hour and you don't want to do that every day).

Definitely plan on renting at first until you're settled on a job and school location.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:11 AM

25 posts, read 21,079 times
The priority is school and home. I am semi retired and wife has the ability to drive. My concern will be the little time to establish the school. He has attended International School so the transition should not be too difficult.

Thanks for your comments

Old 10-29-2020, 05:17 AM

Belmont and Mathews are 2 "suburban" towns that may be a good fit. There also lots of nice neighborhoods in south Charlotte with good schools.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:23 AM

335 posts, read 433,632 times
Your best schools will be around south Charlotte, Weddington, Ballantyne, Waxhaw, Marvin, and across the NC/SC border in Fort Mill. But most of those areas are pretty expensive so your budget will be the biggest determining factor.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:40 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
Your best schools will be around south Charlotte, Weddington, Ballantyne, Waxhaw, Marvin, and across the NC/SC border in Fort Mill. But most of those areas are pretty expensive so your budget will be the biggest determining factor.
Define best school? Best for whom? As a Realtor, you should know to be careful with such verbiage to avoid a perception of steering; https://www.nar.realtor/articles/ste...sional-service

Old 10-29-2020, 05:57 AM

5,482 posts, read 6,130,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Define best school? Best for whom? As a Realtor, you should know to be careful with such verbiage to avoid a perception of steering; https://www.nar.realtor/articles/ste...sional-service
Quality of schools was an OP question, the answer given encompassed a wide variety of schooling choices.

If I asked a realtor a question and they answered me (or circumvented the question) based on that mythical stretch of the realty ethics code, I'd find a new realtor.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:26 AM

335 posts, read 433,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I’m sure you didn’t mean to imply that I’m steering, as the NAR defines steering as...” the process of influencing a buyer’s choice of communities based upon the buyer’s race, color, religion, gender, disability, familial status, or national origin”. It does mention not using “code words” or actively discouraging any specific areas or schools...neither of which I have done or would ever do.

I define best schools based on what areas have the highest ratings, have the homes with the best marketability due to those schools’ performance, and word of mouth from my family, as I do not have children of my own. So by best, I mean best for anyone wanting to put their child in a high performing school. Yes there are good schools across the city and yes there are low performing schools across the city, but if you look at test scores and ratings across the board, the south side of the city has the highest scores.

At no point did I assume or mention anyone’s race, color, religion, any of that in my response, so at no point was I steering in the legal sense or coming close to it. “Best schools” is not code for anything and does not disregard any schools at all, and I am not actively discouraging any specific parts of the city or schools. Just answering a question. I’m not sure what you’re trying to imply with that stretch.

Last edited by MikeyRocksNC; 10-29-2020 at 06:59 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 08:32 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
I’m sure you didn’t mean to imply that I’m steering, as the NAR defines steering as...” the process of influencing a buyer’s choice of communities based upon the buyer’s race, color, religion, gender, disability, familial status, or national origin”. It does mention not using “code words” or actively discouraging any specific areas or schools...neither of which I have done or would ever do.

I define best schools based on what areas have the highest ratings, have the homes with the best marketability due to those schools’ performance, and word of mouth from my family, as I do not have children of my own. So by best, I mean best for anyone wanting to put their child in a high performing school. Yes there are good schools across the city and yes there are low performing schools across the city, but if you look at test scores and ratings across the board, the south side of the city has the highest scores.

At no point did I assume or mention anyone’s race, color, religion, any of that in my response, so at no point was I steering in the legal sense or coming close to it. “Best schools” is not code for anything and does not disregard any schools at all, and I am not actively discouraging any specific parts of the city or schools. Just answering a question. I’m not sure what you’re trying to imply with that stretch.
https://www.nar.realtor/articles/ste...sional-service

Per the NAR:
"A buyer who wants a home in the Abraham Lincoln school district is providing an objective criterion for a home search. An agent can clearly identify and find housing in that school district. On the other hand, a buyer wanting a home in a “good school district” is unclear about what he or she wants. Is it the school with the best football team, the most AP students, the newest facility, or something else? Agents attempting to choose homes based on this kind of request substitute their own judgment for the buyer’s regarding what makes a school good."

Old 10-29-2020, 08:41 AM

I don't think I've ever met a Realtor who would offer any opinion on schools. Its a huge red flag for them, and the smart ones only refer such questions to the school district, or to third party sources of information, like the NC School Report Card.

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte