Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:01 AM

158 posts, read 129,251 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info so far...we've seen a few beautiful houses online in York, SC. Is York on a upswing or going downhill? I know smaller southern towns can hit hard times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 02:33 PM

425 posts, read 420,023 times
York is a slower growing town than the ones closer to Charlotte that people discuss more often here. It's on the outer edge of a sensible commute to Charlotte, but if someone likes the area and is willing to accept an hour each way, it's feasible.

It's a reasonably nice place, and does not have that "tired old mill town" ambiance. But it does feel small. You may find yourself needing to drive to Rock Hill or Gastonia occasionally for some shopping and services.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:57 AM

37,895 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Yeah York is a bit off the beaten path as it is without direct interstate access and highway access to Charlotte via the winding, two-lane Highway 49 (Charlotte Hwy) is far from a straight shot. The most direct highway connection is to Gastonia via Highway 321. Of course, its relative isolation is a big reason why it has retained its charm--and also why it has been forced to essentially share county seat status with Rock Hill.

Old 11-16-2020, 09:12 AM

529 posts, read 1,204,871 times
Cool "Prestige"

(Not saying this is right or wrong but . . . )
I do consulting work for national clients and would have a harder time getting contracts if my address says "South Carolina."
This is obviously not a factor for everyone, but perhaps something to consider.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:51 AM

37,895 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
I do consulting work for national clients and would have a harder time getting contracts if my address says "South Carolina."
Not sure if I'd want to work for clients that gave preference to a consultant from Rocky Mount instead of Charleston, but that's just me.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:22 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,172,383 times
Quote:
Not sure I understand why would there be a problem?
I assume you travel to them and they do not need to travel to your house...

If your business needs to be perceived as urban and you work from home, get a Charlotte address - a UPS PO box address and call the PO box # the suite or unit #.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:34 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,963,471 times
Quote:
Wait. So Gastonia beats Charleston, Greenville, Mount Pleasant, Hilton Head, etc? What kind of clients!

Old 12-15-2020, 08:23 AM

215 posts, read 545,465 times
S.C. has no food tax on anything sold retail, if you resell it like you got it wholesale. Example: Walmart grocery shelves - no tax. Walmart deli - tax. Restaurants: tax
No car inspections. Scraped off my sticker when I moved across the line. See no difference in quality of vehicles here than in N.C.
Property tax a lot less.
State is mostly Conservative - especially away from Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte