Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 822 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have City of Charlotte as my water company and on average I pay $50/month in water/sewer fees for my 3 bed/2 bath rental. I got a bill in the mail yesterday for the billing period of Jan 16 2021 - Feb 15 2021 of almost $700!!

I quickly called City of Charlotte and they are sending out a High Bill Investigation Team within the next 15 business days to make sure it wasn't an error on the meter. They also asked if I noticed any leaks in the house. I mentioned that just the day before I got the bill (Feb 28 2021) we noticed our guest bathroom toilet was leaking from the top and shut off the water. We have a plumber contacting us to schedule a repair for hopefully this week.

Now we're worrying that the cause for the high bill is because the toilet has been running consistently for a month and a half. I'm nervous to think what this bill is at now that we are already halfway through the next billing period. City of Charlotte wasn't able to tell me if my usage was high yet until the billing period ended.

With all that, if it does turn out to be the toilet leak that caused this issue, is there a way I could fight this or at least get the cost lowered?? Since I rent, I brought it up to my Property Manager (who has this happening for the first time with a tenant) and he said he would try to talk to the homeowners about the bill but I still feel like it shouldn't be that high. I mean it's over 10x my average, you would think there would be some sort of notification.

Appreciate any and all advice, experiences, and reccomendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 08:39 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
We had a high bill 2 years ago, and it was due to a constantly running toilet. We had just fixed it before receiving the bill, and the City of Concord knocked a portion off the bill after we sent them a copy of the receipt for the parts. Ours wasn't that high - I think it $250, and they brought it down by at least $100. I would call the City of Charlotte back and see if they have a similar program. I'm not sure what the landlord will be able to do except fix the problem.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:13 PM

396 posts, read 972,683 times
We are in UC but last year we had a leak. We got it fixed, contacted the water company, and submitted the bill to show it was fixed. They waived a huge portion of the large bill.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:24 AM

79 posts, read 84,615 times
I have City of Charlotte as my water company and on average I pay $50/month in water/sewer fees for my 3 bed/2 bath rental. I got a bill in the mail yesterday for the billing period of Jan 16 2021 - Feb 15 2021 of almost $700!!

$700. seems very high for a toilet running, I would guess it's more likely a water service problem from the meter to the house, any wet spots in the yard?
And yes, City will adjust the bill after you get the problem fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte