Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

I hope no one takes this wrong, b/c no disrespect is intended. But b/f you move somewhere, you need to do your own research. As I have stated earlier, it is typical to have these weather patterns (thunderstorms) but it is atypical to have this level of tornadic activity - and indeed, CNN says this has been the worst tornado season in 10 years. If you asked people who have lived here 10 years if there are tornadoes in CLT, they would most likely say NO, b/c they really have not been exposed to them much at all!!! Now if you asked me, I would say - IT CAN HAPPEN but not often. But I am a native and I drove over to see the damage in 1989 when an F4 came through Lincoln and Catawba CO. So I have a long history. I would bet you $100 that people who were in CLT in 1989 may not even remember that tornado! It was 50 miles away . . . and it didn't involve their lives . . .so I would doubt many people would even remember it.

However, if you had gotten online and just googled "NC tornadoes" it would have pulled up the info.

So yes, tornadoes have occurred in all 50 states. And yes, NC can have tornadoes. Is it Tornado Alley? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
I do not live in the area yet but will be down there in a couple of months. Since I am not in NC yet I get most of my information from this forum. When and where did the tornado hit in Lincolnton? How many tornados have there been in Lincolnton in the last year? Remind me again why I am moving there Increased crime, falling property values(already paid top dollar for my house) now tornados!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!! Please don't tell me we are on a fault line.
I hope everyone is safe and not too much damage.
It touched down in Vale....Western Lincoln County near an intersection called "Cat Square".
That area tends to see more activity....in 1989 an F4 came down in Belwood/Vale and killed 4 and injured 30+.
That is a more rural area of our county.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I hope no one takes this wrong, b/c no disrespect is intended. But b/f you move somewhere, you need to do your own research. As I have stated earlier, it is typical to have these weather patterns (thunderstorms) but it is atypical to have this level of tornadic activity - and indeed, CNN says this has been the worst tornado season in 10 years. If you asked people who have lived here 10 years if there are tornadoes in CLT, they would most likely say NO, b/c they really have not been exposed to them much at all!!! Now if you asked me, I would say - IT CAN HAPPEN but not often. But I am a native and I drove over to see the damage in 1989 when an F4 came through Lincoln and Catawba CO. So I have a long history. I would bet you $100 that people who were in CLT in 1989 may not even remember that tornado! It was 50 miles away . . . and it didn't involve their lives . . .so I would doubt many people would even remember it.

However, if you had gotten online and just googled "NC tornadoes" it would have pulled up the info.

So yes, tornadoes have occurred in all 50 states. And yes, NC can have tornadoes. Is it Tornado Alley? No.

I agree.....there is weather.....EVERYWHERE people!

You can run...but you can't hide!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
It touched down in Vale....Western Lincoln County near an intersection called "Cat Square".
That area tends to see more activity....in 1989 an F4 came down in Belwood/Vale and killed 4 and injured 30+.
That is a more rural area of our county.
I guess it gives the menu item at Mitchin's Kitchen in Vale NC a new meaning
"The Tornado"
I had that the last time I was there ooooo it was so good.
It a hot dog wrapped in bacon then deep fried.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I guess it gives the menu item at Mitchin's Kitchen in Vale NC a new meaning
"The Tornado"
I had that the last time I was there ooooo it was so good.
It a hot dog wrapped in bacon then deep fried.
Ohh! Yummy!

A side note...my youngest daughter was at a friends house in the Cat Square area on Sunday when it happened...needless to say, I got the "freaking out" phone call from her....they had to go to a neighbors to stay in their basement! What a Mother's Day!

There is ALOT of hail damage to cars throughout the Northern part of Lincoln County...from the west to the east. The insurance companies will be working overtime.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Ohh! Yummy!

A side note...my youngest daughter was at a friends house in the Cat Square area on Sunday when it happened...needless to say, I got the "freaking out" phone call from her....they had to go to a neighbors to stay in their basement! What a Mother's Day!

There is ALOT of hail damage to cars throughout the Northern part of Lincoln County...from the west to the east. The insurance companies will be working overtime.
I was in Hickory for a gathering that day and we knew something wicked was on the way - that was in May, 1989. I wish I could find the pix (afraid they may have been misplaced in a move) b/c I took pix of the sky - it was very strange looking. The official record was like - 52 or 57 people injured. I drove over to look at the damage later to take pix for a newspaper. Wish I had those pictures, too! The devastation was hard to fathom.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 PM

13 posts, read 41,985 times
Ok here is the things.... Tornadoes do happen here. And there have been bad ones. Mind you the last huge, major outbreak was the 1989 Carolina Tornado Outbreak. 2 F4's ripped there way through Union and Lincoln and Catawba counties. There were also a lot F2's and F3's. One of the F3's tore through Winston Salem. That was the last one. There have been several others. I am not telling everyone this to scare them, I am telling everyone because they can happen here. I have lived in Atlanta where I was told they are not really common here. When I live there we had a Tornado in I think 1994. Then they had the Downtown Tornado. They can happen anywhere at anytime. And with the weather becoming more violent you can expect more of the same here. I.E. more tornadoes in the midwest and southeast. More Hurricanes in the Gulf and Atlantic and more Santa Ana winds in L.A. All we can do is prepare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte