Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 01:10 PM

958 posts, read 1,726,151 times

Advertisements

I wanted to be very specific by making a topic on each ward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2021, 02:33 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,660,612 times
Not wanting to insult anyone living in the first ward, it's one of the areas around Downtown, (I refuse to call her uptown), that, as much as she's handsome, seemingly has no identity of her own. It's sleepy.

Old 11-01-2021, 02:47 PM

958 posts, read 1,726,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Not wanting to insult anyone living in the first ward, it's one of the areas around Downtown, (I refuse to call her uptown), that, as much as she's handsome, seemingly has no identity of her own. It's sleepy.
That's an interesting response. LOL

Old 11-01-2021, 02:59 PM

335 posts, read 429,975 times
Quote:
I used to live off Garden District (til about six years ago) and I would agree, I loved that about it. Not a lot of "attractions" or anything in that immediate area, but easy to walk into city center if I wanted to. It was a nice balance, quiet street but still closet to any action...but I don't know how much that has changed in the last five or six years.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:53 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,660,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
That's an interesting response. LOL
Well ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
I used to live off Garden District (til about six years ago) and I would agree, I loved that about it. Not a lot of "attractions" or anything in that immediate area, but easy to walk into city center if I wanted to. It was a nice balance, quiet street but still closet to any action...but I don't know how much that has changed in the last five or six years.
You're right: her lack of attractions makes her attractive to many. What I like most about the Garden District is her charm, when compared to other areas in city center; a buddy of mine had a company that specialized in custom brick and stone work, and he always used to promote more traditional style patterns - with the reasoning that: "traditional style patterns never go out of style." That saying stuck with me, and, over time, I found it to be true.

I am afraid that some of the art/facades which adorn city center, will, in 10-20 years, be seen as faddish by many, and will be replaced. Conversely, areas like First & Fourth Ward, will always be in style. And what makes First & Fourth Wards attractive, is their placidity and greenery: CLT is a unique City in that as much as many areas are densified, the City still has a notable tree covering. I hope that never changes.

Since you lived in the area, and know her well, do you see the area densifying in the future? I do believe that the new Silver Line will run past the First Ward, and that's prime real estate.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:41 PM

335 posts, read 429,975 times
Quote:
Well ...

You're right: her lack of attractions makes her attractive to many. What I like most about the Garden District is her charm, when compared to other areas in city center; a buddy of mine had a company that specialized in custom brick and stone work, and he always used to promote more traditional style patterns - with the reasoning that: "traditional style patterns never go out of style." That saying stuck with me, and, over time, I found it to be true.

I am afraid that some of the art/facades which adorn city center, will, in 10-20 years, be seen as faddish by many, and will be replaced. Conversely, areas like First & Fourth Ward, will always be in style. And what makes First & Fourth Wards attractive, is their placidity and greenery: CLT is a unique City in that as much as many areas are densified, the City still has a notable tree covering. I hope that never changes.

Since you lived in the area, and know her well, do you see the area densifying in the future? I do believe that the new Silver Line will run past the First Ward, and that's prime real estate.
Tough to say…I loved it when first ward park took up a square block of real estate, preserving a little bit of the slower pace and charm of that corner inside 277. But just outside the loop through there has seen tons of new apartments and condos/townhomes as well as storage pop up and rise into the sky, and with there still being multiple huge parking lots in that area, I can only imagine those lots will be purchased and built upon in the near future. But who knows. Much like fourth ward, there’s still a lot of charm and older buildings/low rises that make it quaint, but as those buildings continue to age and if money continues to pour into the city, I can only imagine the parking lots and some older complexes and buildings will be replaced with mid-rise housing. Not that I think that’s a bad thing, I love to see the city growing…but I like the quiet nature down by the school in first ward and would love to see that persist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte