Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 01:41 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis_Mom View Post
We are looking at the Charlotte area for retirement and from a financial standpoint, the SC suburbs of Charlotte make more sense (property taxes, cost of housing). But clearly not everyone is moving to the SC suburbs, so what are we missing? We'd like to spend around 350,000 for a 3BR/2Bath house in a safe area. We'd like to be no more than 15 minutes from grocery stores/Home Depot, so not in a rural location, but safety is important. Since we'll be retired, traffic congestion is less of an issue. Other than the financial benefits of the SC suburbs, are either the NC suburbs or the SC suburbs better? If so, why?
I dislike SC's suburbs strongly; mine is only an opinion - which will no doubt be argued against by some - but here it is:

I have lived in CLT, and both NC and SC's suburbs, before really getting a handle on the areas that I like.

In my opinion, NC's infrastructure and planning is superior to her SC counterparts: roads in NC are better planned, and, in general, the NC side does a better job of zoning residential and commercial districts. In other words, NC municipalities purposed to disperse shopping areas throughout, such that residents don't have to drive far distances to shop, which helps mitigate traffic issues.

I also find that NC's libraries and parks are superior to her SC counterparts.

Finally, many NC towns have functional downtown areas; RH, Clover, and Ft Mill's downtowns are pleasant, but I prefer the functionality of NC's downtowns more: NC's downtowns often have organized events - be they music or car shows, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 06:14 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
We bought in Charlotte suburb right at the SC line and have grocery stores in both NC and SC 7 minutes away.
We were open to any Charlotte location but dropped a couple (north of city center, University area and SE) in order to stay nearer to relatives.

Now here 2 years there have been some issues with SC water to homes that made me glad not to deal with that. The roads in some parts of SC are definitely worse than NC. Pandemic response in Charlotte has been very good, I saw lots of SC cars in line for Covid shots in Charlotte. I feel safer shopping in Charlotte because people wear masks, many don't wear masks in SC.

I do have some favorite shops in Ft. Mill and SC people are nice, we are just glad we ended up in Charlotte NC.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:14 AM

571 posts, read 547,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTCDR View Post
That's a growth list, not a violent cities list
That is because we were discussing populations and people fleeing cities. One point discussed was the population gap between Atlanta and Charlotte. If you checked the message 54 and 56, you would see that it was about fast vs slow growth. Earlier, I posted a listing of the top 20 most violent cities of large populations somewhere. I posted another list of the 20 most violent cities of large population somewhere.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:46 AM

58 posts, read 61,658 times
......Ok, so I wasn't asking for the top 20 list for growth. I was referring to the top 100 list for crime. For some reason you directed me to a thread on growth.

Just curious on where you got your info for crime. If you read my replies, you would see that.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
......Ok, so I wasn't asking for the top 20 list for growth. I was referring to the top 100 list for crime. For some reason you directed me to a thread on growth.

Just curious on where you got your info for crime. If you read my replies, you would see that.
I have no idea what you have written or about the 100 list of crime. If you want information about crime number and locations, I suggest that you look up FBI data or other such sources on the internet. I only remember saying that Charlotte wasn't in the top 100 most violent cities.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:49 PM

58 posts, read 61,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
I only remember saying that Charlotte wasn't in the top 100 most violent cities.

Lol it's amazing that people just say **** without being able to back it up.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Lol it's amazing that people just say **** without being able to back it up.
Bother someone else. I don't wish to waste time on you. If you disapprove of any data I did or did not publish, forget it and move on.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:41 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I feel safer shopping in Charlotte because people wear masks, many don't wear masks in SC.
There's more crime in Charlotte, hence the widespread usage of masks.

(Sorry; I couldn't resist...)

Kidding aside, areas like Blakeney are every much as beautiful, if not much more so, than many of CLT's suburbs. CLT's resources are superior to many of the suburbs as well, and unless you're looking at a suburb with large parcels - e.g. Marvin & Weddington, I can't understand the rush to the suburbs - with the exception of school systems with a higher perception of excellence.

Old 02-14-2022, 02:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We bought in Charlotte suburb right at the SC line and have grocery stores in both NC and SC 7 minutes away.
We were open to any Charlotte location but dropped a couple (north of city center, University area and SE) in order to stay nearer to relatives.

Now here 2 years there have been some issues with SC water to homes that made me glad not to deal with that. The roads in some parts of SC are definitely worse than NC. Pandemic response in Charlotte has been very good, I saw lots of SC cars in line for Covid shots in Charlotte. I feel safer shopping in Charlotte because people wear masks, many don't wear masks in SC.

I do have some favorite shops in Ft. Mill and SC people are nice, we are just glad we ended up in Charlotte NC.
NC has made it possible to restrict vaccinations to in-state residents only while SC hasn't done likewise. I've heard of folks making the drive from Charlotte to Columbia to get COVID-19 shots.

https://www.wrdw.com/2021/02/18/sout...ate-residents/

Old 02-15-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
There's more crime in Charlotte, hence the widespread usage of masks.

(Sorry; I couldn't resist...)
You are right. the people from certain sectors of the city that is more likely to not wear masks are those in the areas where crime is most prevalent. Many non-compliant thinks it is a plot to wipe them out. It is reminiscent of the ridiculous old rumor that the CIA put hard drugs in certain communities to eradicate people in those communities. Of course, all sectors and types of people are guilty of avoiding shots and now making excuses, but it goes to show that people should rely on their own instincts and common sense and not politics or ignorant rumors. I know many veterans, like myself. When one that I know says he refuses to get a shot, I ask if he cried when he was required to get shots in the military. Hell, they never thought of questioning shots then, why now? And for the person that says that he feels safer in certain places because more people wear masks is "out there." The people that are not wearing masks are the ones that are fully inoculated. My chiropractor is one that refuses to get flu shots, and one can count on his being off work every year sick with the flu.

Sorry: I could resist either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte