Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 AM

57 posts, read 188,525 times

Advertisements

Have been busy reading, reading, reading and my head is full, thanks CD for all the info.

So onto a lighter subject, no crime, no schools, no home/location questions etc. just snow.

How much do you really get, I have read conflicting reports.
When do you get it?
Does it stick around?

Having been born in the UK (East) I have experienced very little snow. For the last 14 years having lived in hot, hot and hotter climates I am looking forward to some serious snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 AM

175 posts, read 546,393 times
I've been here for 4 years and have seen 1 teeny snow storm and it was 70 the next day. Just about the right amount of snow for me! The year before we moved here I guess we got around 18 inches but also it was gone the next day.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:47 AM

797 posts, read 3,296,274 times
We get maybe two dustings a winter. Usually it's gone in a few hours. Most of the time it doesn't stick. Every so often we'll get some snow that sticks for a day or so. But that's about it.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:13 AM

755 posts, read 2,493,798 times
The last time Charlotte got a significant snowfall was in February, 2004. Ice storms are far more common.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post
Have been busy reading, reading, reading and my head is full, thanks CD for all the info.

So onto a lighter subject, no crime, no schools, no home/location questions etc. just snow.

When do you get it?
Does it stick around?

Having been born in the UK (East) I have experienced very little snow. For the last 14 years having lived in hot, hot and hotter climates I am looking forward to some serious snow
If you want serious snow...don't move to Charlotte, you will be lucky to see any at all.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:31 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones1 View Post

When do you get it?
Does it stick around?

Having lived in London for 12 years, I can testify with first hand knowledge that Charlotte gets about the same amount of snow as London. As a matter of fact, Charlotte's winter temperatures are about the same as Londons (minus the drizzle). A normal summer in Charlotte is like the hottest that London ever gets. I know that London gets hot, but not for extended periods normally. As you know, Charlotte is two hours from the mountains which does get accumulation. Come on down.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:40 AM

117 posts, read 597,611 times
Snow? What's that?

I've been here 30 years and I can count the number of significant snow storms on one hand and 2 fingers.

But like 'vindaloo' said, the mountains are only a few hours away so if you WANT to see snow you can always head up there for a weekend.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosocialclub View Post
Snow? What's that?

I've been here 30 years and I can count the number of significant snow storms on one hand and 2 fingers.

But like 'vindaloo' said, the mountains are only a few hours away so if you WANT to see snow you can always head up there for a weekend.
I can remember going into a pub one tuesday night in London (my night out), walking outside and being surprised by about 8 inches of snow. that is a rare occurance in London, but I have seen the same thing in Chalotte in the past (years ago). There was a storm in 1973 that hit South Carolina and dumped 17 inches of snow in places like Camden, Lancaster and other surrounding towns. It closed everything down. But a storm anywhere that would happen so suddenly would do the same even in snow country, just not as long. I'm moving to Cornelius in two weeks. Sure hope the weather pattern changes to allow snow.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
I have lived here in Rock Hill, SC just outside of Charlotte since Spring 2005. So, having been here for a total of 3 winters, I've seen a grand total of 2 snows that dropped a whopping 1" of snow, and had to laugh when I saw that no one knew how to drive in it. I came from the Snow Belt east of Cleveland, OH where the avg winter gets 90+" of snow per year. Of course, I don't miss it at all, as that was a big reason for me getting away from there. Bottom line is it doesn't snow here at all.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
I thought it was snowing the other day til I realize it was styrofoam being blown off the Epicentre in a recent storm

//pics2.city-data.com/w5/snw15227.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte