Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZEP View Post
Is it 100% that the northern track will be the next route?
Let's hope not! If it does, I'd rather not have the rail go outside of the I 485 beltway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:49 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Believe me, having all the rail lines is the way to go in Charlotte. Accelerating the building of them should be mandatory now. Gas is now $4.19 in Portland for unleaded and higher in Calif. its only a matter of time before it is in Charlotte also. However the last thing Charlotte should ever want to be is the next Atlanta.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Peak Oil (global production) has happened (2005), so energy from here on out is only going to be more expensive. Do not take my word for it, look it up.

Personally I live within 485 and commute out of town, all of 7 miles.
I am an 'anti-commuter' by choice.

But I know there are many people outside 485 and commute to downtown CLT everyday - that is starting to be expensive. Light rail would be my choice! And I used to ride the bus from SouthPark to downtown, but that was 15+ years ago...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 PM

620 posts, read 2,118,415 times
I can't wait until the line is extended to UNCC/University. I think that will do a lot to help the area and connect the college with the city (the school is very disconnected). My only complaint is that it doesn't run late enough. Bars close at 2am, so the last train should be at 2 or 2:30 instead of 1am!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I believe there is a push now to make the University City line the next route. Unfortunatley, even with all the success of the South line, and rising gas prices, there is still some opposition to the North line from the Huntersville city council. So given their "pause" in supporting the line fully, I believe CATS is now looking to move forward with the Northeast line, and even the East/West streetcar line before the North line. Hopefully Huntersville will get its act together, because my understanding is that its quite easy to get that line going because there are already tracks laid.

The problem with getting the North Line started is securing federal funding to help cover over half of the $261 million. Because federal money will be limited — the ridership projections don’t meet federal benchmarks for its significant participation in the financing.
This is why CATS has been pushing the high ridership numbers of the south line to show the demand is there.
It hard to get developers to invest in the area when the line isnt set sure fire when it will happen or occur. Chicken and the egg syndrome.

The above 261 million does not include the cost of the stations which is not covered under the 1/2 cent tax. Huntersville will have the most stations North of Charlotte with three stations at a cost of 10 million per station.
I cant find the latest hold up that Huntersville has but it has to do alot with funding for these stations. The last I remember it has to do with funding projects with a tax base of "future development not built" in the districts that surround the line or stations. In other words borrow money on money that isnt there yet.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
I can't wait until the line is extended to UNCC/University. I think that will do a lot to help the area and connect the college with the city (the school is very disconnected). My only complaint is that it doesn't run late enough. Bars close at 2am, so the last train should be at 2 or 2:30 instead of 1am!
I agree with all of that...especially since UNCC is building a satellite campus at 9th st uptown.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:04 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The problem with getting the North Line started is securing federal funding to help cover over half of the $261 million. Because federal money will be limited — the ridership projections don’t meet federal benchmarks for its significant participation in the financing.
This is why CATS has been pushing the high ridership numbers of the south line to show the demand is there.
It hard to get developers to invest in the area when the line isnt set sure fire when it will happen or occur. Chicken and the egg syndrome.

The above 261 million does not include the cost of the stations which is not covered under the 1/2 cent tax. Huntersville will have the most stations North of Charlotte with three stations at a cost of 10 million per station.
I cant find the latest hold up that Huntersville has but it has to do alot with funding for these stations. The last I remember it has to do with funding projects with a tax base of "future development not built" in the districts that surround the line or stations. In other words borrow money on money that isnt there yet.
Here's one article: Huntersville Herald Online (http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles/2008/01/04/news/local/local01.txt - broken link)

Engineering for the North Line was approved by the Charlotte City Council just this month, but before anything can definilty be called a "go", the towns in the North will all have to commit to helping with any funding shortfalls that may come. So far, Huntersville is not 100% committed to it. The town may be asked to help build some of the stations there (I think 2 of the 3), and some of the town board members dont' like that idea.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Here's one article: Huntersville Herald Online (http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles/2008/01/04/news/local/local01.txt - broken link)

Engineering for the North Line was approved by the Charlotte City Council just this month, but before anything can definilty be called a "go", the towns in the North will all have to commit to helping with any funding shortfalls that may come. So far, Huntersville is not 100% committed to it. The town may be asked to help build some of the stations there (I think 2 of the 3), and some of the town board members dont' like that idea.
But they want to spend millions to widen the interstate or give developers permission to build near the exits and which will bring more interstate traffic. The voters of Huntersville approved the transit tax too...only 2 districts in all of Mecklenburg county did not (the 2nd time around anyway).

Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
But they want to spend millions to widen the interstate or give developers permission to build near the exits and which will bring more interstate traffic. The voters of Huntersville approved the transit tax too...only 2 districts in all of Mecklenburg county did not (the 2nd time around anyway).
Yes Huntersville voted for the transit tax. That funding is not the issue it is the extra costs that that tax does not cover The tax if I remember correctly only covers 97 million of the projected 261 million in costs and does not include the 30 million it will cost for the stations

Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
I have to admit that I am now a believer. The ability to save on gas and parking fees is priceless.
Thanks for joining our group. I will be moving to Cornelius on Monday. We can start organizing the demonstrations for rail service. Or maybe not. It's too damn hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte