Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:26 PM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

It will be mighty HOT this coming weekend......will the popular waters of Lake Norman be full of boats??? Anyone on this Forum taking their boat out? What kind do you own?
Talk to us boaters!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Ill be out on Mountain Island Lake it not as redneck as Lake Norman can get in spots

Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ill be out on Mountain Island Lake it not as redneck as Lake Norman can get in spots
You must have meant Lake Wylie with your reference to redneck.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We are stunned, yes STUNNED!! Here the weekend daytime temps have been in the upper 80's to 90 and we still don't see that many boats on Lake Norman. By looking at websites about Charlotte, we got the idea that there would be lots and lots of boats on Lake Norman right now, but sure haven't seen that.
We talked to one employee of a Dry Storage building by a Marina and he told us that at least half of the boats in this large building probably wouldn't even go on the water this summer. However, he did say that at least 2/3 of the boats in the building would go out on the 4th of July.
We know that part of the problem is the gas price, but that wouldn't stop us if we had a nice boat (like we seen in the Dry Storage building and docked behind some homes on the lake).
We are just wondering what has happened? Shoot, at one of the Reserviors we went to in Colorado (28 miles south/southwest of Denver), there were so many boats wanting to get on the water at noon, there was either a long line to "launch" or the Park Rangers had to close the parking lot (it being full to capacity).
One thing is for sure, we sure used the boat we had in Colorado.......going out every weekend unless it was too windy or rainy.
So, what's up with boating on Lake Norman??
My wish is that when I launch my boat, I don't have to wait for others. If there is nobody on the lake when I am there I am happy. Maybe if Denver had an ocean 3hours away, it wouldn't have been so crowded?

Old 06-04-2008, 02:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
It will be mighty HOT this coming weekend......will the popular waters of Lake Norman be full of boats??? Anyone on this Forum taking their boat out? What kind do you own?
Talk to us boaters!!!
I have a 19' century with a 150 yamaha. Unfortunately, it is still in Florida. I will pick it up in July. Can't wait to fill it up again with gas being $4.00

Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 34,975 times
Still trying to figure out how 1/2 of the boats in that marina wouldn't go on the water at all this summer, yet 2/3 of them will be on the water on July 4. Regardless, I have a boat on LKN and use it quite frequently and I've never been on the lake over a summer weekend when it wasn't packed. But, it does depend on when you're there. If you went in the 8-9 am timeframe, there probably wasn't a lot of activity - most boaters get out in the 11-1 timeframe and there isn't a ton of activity on the weekdays. Also, I'm not sure about Colorado, but a lot of folks around here head to the beach over holiday weekends, so that does lessen the activity on the lake during those weekends. Regarding 'year round', yes there are always boats here and there during the fall and winter months, but nothing like the summer months.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
I live on Lake Wylie and take the boat (24.5 Searay weekender) out at least 3-4 times a week. I join my neighbors for a sunset cruise with a little bit of the bubbly. It sure relieves the tension of being a realtor in todays market!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
What I always found odd is that I never see the sailboats outon the water but always find them parked at their marinas

Lake Norman needs a sailboat competition, festival or something.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Burn gas all you want. I'll be up on my perch at the lake club watching all of you burn gas while I'm having a cold beer and relaxing and not worrying about a thing.

Ahh....the benefits of membership. Best view on the lake and it don't cost jack.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Hey Guys - Just out of curiosity, how warm does the lake water get at the middle to end of summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: