Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 AM

5,076 posts, read 14,680,245 times

Advertisements

Morning guys and gals.... as some of you may (or may not remember) my fiance is up for a job down there and we are just waiting on the final word. He is originally from the SC area and I'm originally from FL and have spent countless weekends in NC so I feel very at home there. Anyway, he's telling me that if he gets this job, we are going to relocate to NC (Lincolnton area) store our stuff, board the horses and figure out over the next six months where we are going to finally settle. I'm saying to take about 2 mths, maybe three, then buy. My concern is the money being spent on rent, board and storage when I've already found a few places that are in our price range and are very affordable out in the country and within a reasonable commute to his new job.
What would ya'll do if you were in my shoes? I guess I'm not looking forward to moving again in a few months and would just love to just do it now and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,692,498 times
In most cases, I would say do what your fiance is suggesting for a few months. However, you are likely gonna get a bargain in this current housing market, albeit the bargain will not be as good here as in other markets since Charlotte is still pretty strong. If you think you can buy for 10% under the asking price, I say go for it now.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:40 AM

206 posts, read 800,902 times
We rented for six months and then bought. We did not have the added expense of storage, etc. One block you are going to have is finding a temporary rental unless you do some type of corporate house...so expensive.

If you know for a fact where you want to live (with horses you are more limited) and find a house you like and don't care that it may go down in the next couple of years; I say go for it.

We move into our new house the end of this month and knew that in the end we would probably lose money but just wanted to be settled and done renting.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtoCLT View Post
We rented for six months and then bought. We did not have the added expense of storage, etc. One block you are going to have is finding a temporary rental unless you do some type of corporate house...so expensive.

If you know for a fact where you want to live (with horses you are more limited) and find a house you like and don't care that it may go down in the next couple of years; I say go for it.

We move into our new house the end of this month and knew that in the end we would probably lose money but just wanted to be settled and done renting.

Let us know what you decide.

See, I feel the same way! We've been renting in PA for a few years now just dreaming of getting back down south but it's only just now happening. I have found about 5 properties, horse friendly and have everything else we are looking for which is very simple but they do have it. The price is right, I guess what concerns me is that I keep hearing that the area is still going pretty strong with real estate and I'm worried that if we wait six months like he wants too that we will miss an opportunity. I guess right now we just need to feel our way around and see how things go. Another person mentioned the added cost of renting short term - I agree with this as well.
I did find a place to board the horses which is really reasonable but they are few and far between! I'm just ready to own. I'm being impatient, I know.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:20 AM

I would go with your feelings. You can never time a market and I didn't want to spend the rest of my life trying. We love the house we found and feel it will be a great neighborhood for our 3 yr old. If you know the area you are going to be and find something you love...I say go for it.

....I am so jealous that you have horses. I have always wanted one but know they are a ton of work and expense. I may put my daughter in riding lessons in a couple of years so I can live out my dream.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I would go with your feelings. You can never time a market and I didn't want to spend the rest of my life trying. We love the house we found and feel it will be a great neighborhood for our 3 yr old. If you know the area you are going to be and find something you love...I say go for it.

....I am so jealous that you have horses. I have always wanted one but know they are a ton of work and expense. I may put my daughter in riding lessons in a couple of years so I can live out my dream.
Well, I'll tell ya what! When we move down there, ya'll come on over!! We'll have a big ol' BBQ and ride the horses!!

I love my boys - I was very fortunate growing up to be able to have horses and have my Mother ride as well. When she passed away, I kept up with my passion and once the kids were born, I got out of it for a bit but years later got right back into it and I've loved it just as much as when I was younger. The satisfaction you get from working around them is uncomparable!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Well, I'll tell ya what! When we move down there, ya'll come on over!! We'll have a big ol' BBQ and ride the horses!!

I love my boys - I was very fortunate growing up to be able to have horses and have my Mother ride as well. When she passed away, I kept up with my passion and once the kids were born, I got out of it for a bit but years later got right back into it and I've loved it just as much as when I was younger. The satisfaction you get from working around them is uncomparable!
Well, there you go getting me all excited. Now you have to buy a house so the horses can come out to play. I have only ridden once and that was when I was 14ish...the horse jumped even though they said he NEVER does and you can guess how bad that hurt. I just love being near horses. They are the most beautiful animals.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Well, there you go getting me all excited. Now you have to buy a house so the horses can come out to play. I have only ridden once and that was when I was 14ish...the horse jumped even though they said he NEVER does and you can guess how bad that hurt. I just love being near horses. They are the most beautiful animals.
Oh that is funny!!! Everyone has that "one time I rode and the horse took off / did something bad" story.. I love it! I know, we really need to get moving on a house purchase!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte