Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOSuper View Post
i have seen coldwell, helen adams, keller williams.. which is the best agency ? why do you think so ? if you dont mind sharing, whom do you work for QC ?
The thing is super, the realtors here have to be very careful not to advertize. Answering some of your questions could get some of them in trouble. There are many good agencies in town - in fact I know of few bad ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM

20 posts, read 31,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The thing is super, the realtors here have to be very careful not to advertize. Answering some of your questions could get some of them in trouble. There are many good agencies in town - in fact I know of few bad ones.
got it loveM , thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
got it loveM , thanks
You can however send any of them a direct message with all of your questions

Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
i have seen coldwell, helen adams, keller williams.. which is the best agency ? why do you think so ? if you dont mind sharing, whom do you work for QC ?
What did that guy in Austin Powers say? Zip it?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
a new feature for city data is profile chat you can have public discussion in someones profile that is for public view instead of the forums with realtors if you want.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
a new feature for city data is profile chat you can have public discussion in someones profile that is for public view instead of the forums with realtors if you want.

This place is going to turn into my space......

Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
I will share as well even though I'm licensed in PA (but moving back to NC). To get my license and so far, has been fairly similar in many states - you will need to attend school, pass school successfully, then pass a state and national exam. Someone said that you will need a couple of thousand to get off the ground and I agree. Also, even though the market is still doing well in NC, (here in PA it's not), you have to pay for a lot of "extra" things that I never really knew about or understood. You have to have insurance (real estate insurance), you have to pay fees for just about everything and again, this is in PA - every state is slightly different. Also, once you sign with an office, you are expected to be there everyday (a lot of offices don't accept part-timers). It's a lot of committment on your part and a lot of money out of pocket. For me, it just wasn't feasible and I hung it up after a year. I still keep my license active but even to do that, there are annual fees and continuing education. If you are in a financial situation where you can do this at your own pace and not worry about the financial end of it, then it's worth it. I'm not done with real estate, I'm just done with it in PA - financially I can't afford to not make money and keep spending money. Also, when you work for a realtor, you have to pay for most of your own stuff. The more you spend the better off you'll be as far as marketing yourself. Again, financially, it's a big committement. At our office, we pay for our own everything and you basically have the convenience of the desk, the work space and resources there (balloons, etc) but really, to market yourself, they offer their services but again, at your cost. The positives of my experience thus far is that my realty office provided tons of training, lots to get me started (paperwork, tips, training, a couple of giveaways they had in class if you did well, etc) and the support was pretty good. I got a good taste of real estate because I do love working in real estate and helping people find their dream homes, helping them sell, etc. The downside was that I spent a lot of money to get myself out there, did tons of open houses (via my mentor) and spent a lot of time in the office, on the computer, on the phone, in email, etc.. and still have nothing to show for it. I don't regret my decision I just think I picked a bad time to get involved. I obtained my license in 2006 and the market did a slow downward spiral just as I was graduating from school. Disappointing yes, but I'm not turned off from real estate. I will continue my venture whereever I move to. You really have to love real estate to pursue it though and not concentrate so much on making the big money. If you love it and do everything you are told and really are aggressive in marketing yourself and learning all you can, then the money will come. Good luck to you - yes, there is a lot of competition but you will have a mentor who will help you every step.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:41 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,536 times
me too! i was seriously thinking of taking the RE class/exams last fall, but in the end i didn't want to get into a market that was kind of shaky. if the market gets strong again then i'd love to give it a chance.

take your class with Bill Gallagher. my husband took his class and still talks about how good of a teacher he is. he's doing continuing ed. with him this week actually and looks forward to it.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:45 AM

28 posts, read 88,676 times
I started off with Coldwell Banker... EXCELLENT Training. I hear Keller Williams has good training as well. However, the Charlotte Regional Realtor(R) Association also now offers a NOVA (new or veteran agent) general sales training program AFTER you get your license. I know some small firms (incl. mine) will reimburse you upon completion, so that opens up your options.

I also worked with Helen Adams, and they have a high level of service provided to their agents, and an excellent reputations (#1 according to QSC).

The main reason I left either one of these firms? Just don't like splitting my money and paying administrative/franchise fees when I was generating my own business. However, in the beginning, you should not start out on your own. A good BIC will be one of your best resources in a successful business.

There are all kinds of compensation plans out there, with different "break even points", so do your homework, and interview with multiple companies.

One of the most frustrating things for most agents, is that most clients/customers that see that HUD Setttlement statement, think all that money is free and clear yours. Most don't realize how little we actually make per transaction, when we split it with the companies (most of the time), pay membership fees and dues, pay for our own print advertising and marketing costs -including our own websites; E&O and other Liability Insurances, TAXES!, and the ever rising gasoline costs! Not to mention many more supplies and things. It takes multiple transactions to even break even with our own overhead, so don't enter the business thinking just a couple of transactions will make you a lot of money.

I attended Central Piedmont Community College and got my licensure. That is the least expensive route, but ask around about the instructors. Some are great and some are so so! Requirements have now changed since we became a BROKER ONLY state, and it takes 90 hours of classes to SIT for your state exam. It's not an easy class or test! I also recommend Bill Gallagher's highly entertaining education Superior School of Real Estate - Bill Gallagher, Owner/Instructor , and he has a great pass ratio for a private real estate school !

Also there are now over 10,000 REALTORS(R) and many more Licensees (their is a difference!) in the Charlotte area. With the recent drop in sales, that makes for tough competition. Check out Charlotte Regional Realtor® Association : How To Join (http://www.charlotterra.com/membership/join.cfm - broken link) for Membership Info. It's not cheap!

Not meaning to discourage you, but this is a tough job! I just happen to love it and make it work for me! Best wishes!

And the rest of you now know just a little bit more how hard this job is! Thank your agent for their hard work today!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,781,982 times
Quote:
qc.. another question, is there a concept of joining a real estate agent as a junior to learn on the job ? do realtors do that ?
Becoming a Real Estate Agent is the same as opening a new business. The start up expenses are in place from day one, and it will take a good bit of time to build up a client base.

If I had no background in the food service business and wanted to open a restaurant, I would work for an established venue to see if I could make a go of it.

My recommendation is to try to work as an office assistant for an established realtor to get a realistic view of the day to day activities and expenses. This way, you can make an informed decision if this is the profession you wish to pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte