Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
We plan on putting our 3 daughters in public school, for the first time this fall. They've always gone to small Christian schools, but the expense had become too much. After seeing this, I am petrified!! While I know I cant shield them from everything, I can certainly mitigate what I see. The thought that something like this would be allowed to be played in middle school is very disenfranchising for me! Makes me really want to rethink our public school decision.

This incident should not reflect a negative attitude towards this school or public schools in general. As a parent of a child who attends this school I have to say that I am very happy with this school. This thread will likely be looked up down the road by people researching the area and I would hate them to get the wrong message, its a nice school.

I do hope that principle Kafitz will spend a few minutes to say to the parents that he is sorry, this was an oversite and poor judgement by the DJ, in the future DJ's will be required to play age suitable music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
This incident should not reflect a negative attitude towards this school or public schools in general. As a parent of a child who attends this school I have to say that I am very happy with this school. This thread will likely be looked up down the road by people researching the area and I would hate them to get the wrong message, its a nice school.

I do hope that principle Kafitz will spend a few minutes to say to the parents that he is sorry, this was an oversite and poor judgement by the DJ, in the future DJ's will be required to play age suitable music.
Agreed. New Town is a fine school Somebody in authority was just asleep at the wheel during this dance (though again I would question the wisdom of anyone who thinks 5th graders should be having school dances).

Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Agreed. New Town is a fine school Somebody in authority was just asleep at the wheel during this dance (though again I would question the wisdom of anyone who thinks 5th graders should be having school dances).
I know, we didn't have dances until 7th. Maybe some people thought that was too young at the time. I'm not against it, I guess the intent is to get the kids involved in an activity. Maybe they should just call it a "social". I'm sure the kids enjoy being with their friends at school without having to go to class.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 22,553 times
I must be old. I've been told before what Soulja Boy was about so I looked up the lyrics (with the obscenities and without) and none of it meant anything to me. With the obscenities it's inappropriate for kids. Without the obscenities it's probably inappropriate, but I sure couldn't tell. Just nonsensical words (if you can even call them words) to me.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM

10 posts, read 10,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post

This isnt intended to have a negitive impact on New Town Elementry as a whole.

Overall this school has been great. Her teacher and my younger daughters teacher are excellent teachers. This is one incident that shouldn't have happened and needs to be addressed. I again tried to meet with the principle this afternoon to which is was still to busy. My wife is going to stop by on her way home from work and try again. This issue needs to be addressed and resolved so it doesnt happen again.

Right now I am not real happy with the school because this is a major oversite and principle Kafitz doesnt have time to speak with me about it. They played this song 3 times during the dance. I dont see how they could have played this song once in front of these kids, to play it 3 times is more then just poor judgement. Another parent I spoke with about 2 hours ago stated her daughter came home and complained about them playing that song as well.

Last edited by DaveStro; 06-04-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStro View Post
Overall this school has been great. Her teacher and my younger daughters teacher are excellent teachers. This is one incident that shouldn't have happened and needs to be addressed. I again tried to meet with the principle this afternoon to which is was still to busy. My wife is going to stop by on her way home from work and try again.

Right now I am not real happy with the school because this is a major oversite and principle Kafitz doesnt have time to speak with me about it. They played this song 3 times during the dance. I dont see how they could have played this song once in front of these kids, to play it 3 times is more then just poor judgement. Another parent I spoke with about 2 hours ago stated her daughter came home and complained about them playing that song as well.
Keep us posted, I would like see how this situation is handled. The longer he waits the worse it will become if more parents get involved.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,616 times
Have you tried meeting with your childs teacher first? Do you realize how big the school is? I see the principal out there a lot, nearly every day talking with parents, so he does meet with parents, admins, etc.

Why don't you try resolving it before painting such a derogatory images which then creates a pile-on atmosphere.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:02 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStro View Post
This isnt intended to have a negitive impact on New Town Elementry as a whole.

Overall this school has been great. Her teacher and my younger daughters teacher are excellent teachers. This is one incident that shouldn't have happened and needs to be addressed. I again tried to meet with the principle this afternoon to which is was still to busy. My wife is going to stop by on her way home from work and try again. This issue needs to be addressed and resolved so it doesnt happen again.

I wasn't kidding when I said to pack a lunch and park yourself in the front office. We had an issue at a different school but kept get getting the 'too busy' line and DH told them that he would wait there. Surely the principal needed to leave her office to eat or tinkle and when she did he would accompany her on the way to her destination. He only needed a minute, he assured the office staff. Remarkably, the issue was resolved in minutes and DH didn't need to eat his lunch in the office after all.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:17 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,202 times
I don't think that the child's teacher would have anything to do with what was played at the dance. My guess is that the teacher may not have even been there.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Have you tried meeting with your childs teacher first? Do you realize how big the school is? I see the principal out there a lot, nearly every day talking with parents, so he does meet with parents, admins, etc.

Why don't you try resolving it before painting such a derogatory images which then creates a pile-on atmosphere.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:45 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,690 times
I agree that the song was probably inappropriate at a 5th grade dance. The reason the song was played probably more than once is that there is a dance that goes with this song, and I am sure many of the kids know it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte