Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 AM

10 posts, read 10,724 times

Advertisements

I have 2 girls in this school. My oldest went to the 5th grade dance and had told me they played this song called Crank That by Soulja Boy. My daughter told me what the other kids said it means and I was amazed. She said told me other kids in her school said it is about sex and drugs, but has a good beat to dance too. I looked up the lyrics and couldnt believe what I found. lyric mp3 download music video at lyricsmania.com

I really dont believe they should be playing this at a 5th grade dance. When my daughter came home and told me about the song and what it meant I stopped by to speak with the principle Dr. David Kafitz, but he is to busy to discuss this.

Am I missing something here? This really just baffles me and I cant believe they played this at the grade school and the principle doesnt have time to discuss this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,892,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStro View Post
I have 2 girls in this school. My oldest went to the 5th grade dance and had told me they played this song called Crank That by Soulja Boy. My daughter told me what the other kids said it means and I was amazed. She said told me other kids in her school said it is about sex and drugs, but has a good beat to dance too. I looked up the lyrics and couldnt believe what I found. lyric mp3 download music video at lyricsmania.com

I really dont believe they should be playing this at a 5th grade dance. When my daughter came home and told me about the song and what it meant I stopped by to speak with the principle Dr. David Kafitz, but he is to busy to discuss this.

Am I missing something here? This really just baffles me and I cant believe they played this at the grade school and the principle doesnt have time to discuss this.
First of all, I have never heard of 5th graders having a dance - that's just ridiculous - they grow up fast enough already. Second of all, you are right, this music is not appropriate for young kids. They wouldn't play that kind of stuff at my kids high school, but you have to have conscientious parents/teachers planning the event for that to happen. I would most definitely make an appt to see the principal - he will have to see you then. Next, I would summerize my concerns and the outcome of the meeting with the principal in writing and send the letter to the school superintendent. If responsible parents don't speak up this stuff just keeps happening. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:51 AM

810 posts, read 2,296,025 times
Thats not a good song for 5th graders and the DJ should have know better. There going to hear it somewhere else if they desire.

Just to add to this topic, where do you draw the line? There are so many songs that have risque lyrics including the ones that we grew up with. Aerosmith "Love in an Elevator" Brian Adams "Summer of 69" The Cars "Touch and Go" Rolling Stones "Honky Tonk Woman" and many others. Steve Miller, Beatles, ZZ TOP the list goes on.

Some are more in your face than others, some I didn't figure out until I was older and couldn't believe I used to sing them in front of my mom.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,419,551 times
there are 2 versions of this song, and the curses and so fourth are edited out....obviousley if they have older siblings they might have heard the Wrong version of the song...I do agree they shouldnt be playing at a 5th Grade Dance....I would think Middle or HS but not Elem school...Did u contact the school about it????

Old 06-04-2008, 08:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,507,709 times
Write a letter, alert other parents, do whatever you need to do.

This is absolutely not appropriate for any school to be playing.

My guess is that the principal had nothing to do with what was played, but he sure as anything needs to be aware for next time!

Our cheerleaders at the high school I worked in had a routine to a horrible song. I was asked to manage the sound from the sound booth for the Pep Rally. I could hear the words LOUD AND CLEAR. It was so inappropriate that I spoke with the principal about it. The cheer coach was upset with me, but honestly, every boy on that football team knew the lyrics and oogled over the girls dancing to a song about some really inappropriate sex act that the song was about.

Let's just hand teen sex to our kids on a silver platter!

Ok, sorry for the rant, but this really gets to me.

Dawn

Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,077,957 times
The principal is too busy to see a parent?? Hmmm....seems to be a theme with the middle schools around here.

I would take myself over to the office, pack a lunch and let them know you aren't going anywhere until you get 5 min. with Mr. Busy Principal. Read him the lyrics and suggest he have someone review the play list before the next dance or you and other concerned parents can organize a 'boycott' of sorts. Are your dances fund raisers? I believe ours are and it seems that $$ will get some attention in school, even if parents don't due the principal being too busy.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,506,022 times
I just wanted to congratulate you on the relationship you have with your daughter. It's wonderful that she came to tell you what was going on at her dance. Not everyone's children would do that, so as a parent you must be doing something right!

I hope you are able to get an appointment with your principal. Please let us know what comes out of that meeting.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:44 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,873,344 times
We plan on putting our 3 daughters in public school, for the first time this fall. They've always gone to small Christian schools, but the expense had become too much. After seeing this, I am petrified!! While I know I cant shield them from everything, I can certainly mitigate what I see. The thought that something like this would be allowed to be played in middle school is very disenfranchising for me! Makes me really want to rethink our public school decision.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
We plan on putting our 3 daughters in public school, for the first time this fall. They've always gone to small Christian schools, but the expense had become too much. After seeing this, I am petrified!! While I know I cant shield them from everything, I can certainly mitigate what I see. The thought that something like this would be allowed to be played in middle school is very disenfranchising for me! Makes me really want to rethink our public school decision.
It wasn't even a middle school!!! It was an ELEMENTARY school!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Look, don't let this "petrify" you. Just remember that whichever school your kids go to you must get as involved in things as possible. Volunteer, volunteer, volunteer - being there when things like this get planned you could head off this kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte